2008 Liberty vs Wrangler Sahara

haven

Expedition Leader
The 2008 Jeep Liberty "KK" Limited 4x4 is a sophisticated small sport utility vehicle. Despite its unibody construction and independent front suspension, the 2008 Liberty is quite capable off road (as Scott found on the Rubicon Trail recently.)

LibertyKK2.jpg

Jeep's Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4x4 is similar in many ways to the 2008 Liberty. The two models have the same engine and transmission choices, similar MPG ratings, the same 4 wheel disc brakes, similar wheel and tire choices, similar 4x4 control systems, even the same ground clearance. The Wrangler has a better departure angle due to its longer wheelbase, but otherwise the two vehicles have similar overall length, approach angle, breakover angle, overall weight, and payload. The price of the two vehicles is within a few hundred dollars.

I was surprised to find that the Wrangler is 10 inches wider than the Liberty. This means the Wrangler has more space for cargo. However, the shorter wheelbase and narrower width of the Liberty give it a significantly smaller turning diameter (36 vs 41 ft).

Both Wrangler Sahara and Liberty Limited use the Command Track part-time four wheel drive system. However, for $445 more, the Liberty can be equipped with the full-time 4x4 Selec Track system, as found on the Grand Cherokee. The full-time system is an advantage for less experienced 4x4 drivers who travel in changing conditions (a snowstorm on the way to the ski slopes, for example).

There's no doubt that the Wrangler Rubicon, with lower gears, stronger axles and taller tires, is a better choice for gnarly off-road use than the Liberty. But I think the Liberty is better than any Wrangler for general use that includes daily driver chores as well as weekend off-road use. The Liberty is capable enough for most off-road journeys, and the independent suspension is a lot more comfortable in everyday use.

While the Wrangler will attract more attention in a high school parking lot, the Liberty is likely to be a better day-to-day companion. I think Jeep has a winner here. Now let's see if 3rd parties produce aftermarket upgrades like off-road bumpers and mild lift kits for the Liberty.

Chip Haven

Last edited:

chet

island Explorer
it looks alright although they mad it kinda tough to get an aftermarket front bumper with those huge flare/bumpers on there!

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

My vote is the wrangler; much more aftermarket stuff available and always will be; not to mention you will find resale value better. I have seen 99 wranglers (TJ) bringing as much as my 99 grand cherokee and when you consider the difference in the initial purchase price of each, WOW. It comes down the same thing: It's all in what you want.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
As long as Wranglers have a removable top, they will always be the prefered vehicle of the Jeep offerings, IMO.

A more narrow Liberty, with IFS on a unibody....? :smilies27
Why does Jeep insist on watering down it's legacy by adding car-Jeeps to their lineup?

Scott is great at finding something positive to say. I'm not, so I'll just say 'No thanks.'

Scott Brady

Founder
4-door Rubicon, no question... The Rubicon is built at the highest possible durability level (while maintaining mass market appeal). I would not be surprised if the service live of the JK Rubicon is twice that of the KK.

The KK rides great and has reasonable trail performance. Remember, we needs lots of KK's to sell to support development of vehicles like the Rubicon. Every model has it's place (though I wonder about the Compass at times ;) )

Two different classes of vehicles IMHO.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Kind of offtopic, but Scott, I just got my September issue of Road and Track and that shot of you airing out the Compass was used. Did you write the blurb about it too? The bottom of the paragraph had the initials SB. Anyway, cool to see.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
The Liberty and Wrangler do not share the same V6 engine. The Liberty gets the 3.7L V6 while the Wrangler gets the 3.8L V6 from the minivan.

I don't see how the Select Trac "full time" system is only a benefit for "inexperienced" drivers? If you drive on the highway in rain or snow, which most people do, you should absolutely opt for this value option. Who wouldn't want full time 4wd capability on the highway during inclement weather? Madness I say, madness!

The aftermarket has barely embraced the first generation Liberty, and no matter what you do, you can barely mount a 32" tire due to those small damn fender wells. The IFS definitely needs improvement from the first generation model. I can only hope the 2nd generation IFS has seen some improvements. Hopefully they replaced the breakage prone aluminum front housing as well.

I like our Liberty, but due to tiny cargo volume it is really not that useful to us other than as a daily driver or for short trips. I do like the new look of the 2nd generation Liberty and I believe it has more cargo room as well.

Scott Brady

Founder
upcruiser said:
Kind of offtopic, but Scott, I just got my September issue of Road and Track and that shot of you airing out the Compass was used. Did you write the blurb about it too? The bottom of the paragraph had the initials SB. Anyway, cool to see.

I was just the driver :)

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
That green Patriot gets alot of press. I have seen that photo used in probably a dozen different reveiws.

haven

Expedition Leader
give me liberty, or ...

Scott, I agree that the Wrangler Rubicon is a better choice if gnarly off-roading is the way you plan to use the truck. My point is that most people won't take the family daily driver on trails where sliders are required.

For moderate off-roading, I think the Liberty will go anywhere the Jeep X or Sahara models will go. And the Liberty is a better choice for use as a daily driver.

If moderate off-roading is the target, why not consider SUVs like the Honda CRV, Subaru Forester, or Toyota RAV4? These vehicles don't have low range and rear locker options, so they're best kept to light off-roading duty.

In 4Low, the Liberty offers Hill Descent Control, which can help a lot on very steep slopes. This is a feature usually found in more expensive 4x4 models, and missing in the Wrangler.

So I think the 2008 Liberty is a better choice than the Jeep Sahara Unlimited as a family vehicle that will see moderate use off-road on the weekends.

Regarding the engines in Wrangler and Liberty, the Liberty's 3.7L engine is a more modern design that gets slightly better fuel economy. This V6 is used in the Grand Cherokee and Ram pickup. The Wrangler's 3.8L engine is a design that was first produced in 1991, and is used primarily in (gasp!) minivans.

Liberty
3.7L V6
210HP 235 LB-FT
4X4 Manual = EPA 18/23 (2007 standards)
like a 4.7L V8 with two cylinders removed
introduced in 2002 in the first generation Liberty
used in Grand Cherokee and Ram pickups

Wrangler
3.8L V6
205 HP 238 LB-FT
4X4 Manual = EPA 17/21(2007)
updated version of engine introduced in 1991
used primarily in minivans

The 2008 Liberty is built on a new, highly automated assembly line (read: lots of robots). So its fit and finish is better than a Wrangler, which is still assembled mostly by hand. This reduces squeaks and rattles. The way to reduce squeaks and rattles in a Wrangler is to drive around with the doors off so all you hear is wind noise!

Chip Haven

Taz

Adventurer
My Libby is an 06, but it functions very well. I am glad we have it although I fought the purchase but the wife won that battle. Its got ESP, 4wd full time, 4wd part time and 4lo. Its does fantastic in snow around town. Heck even my wife doesn't mind driving it to work in the snow (she hates driving in the snow). After the first big snow storm here in Colorado last year, I was glad we bought it. It has proven to be a very good all around vehicle. I won't let go of my wrangler, but it's nice to have both. The Libby is great for those "light" trips.

gpwpat

Adventurer
You forgot to add that in the wrangler you can upgrade to rear locker, and the front electric sway bar option that is stock on the rubicon. I might add that the front sway bar disconnect takes a rugged bumpy trail and turns it into a plush ride, all at the push of a button. for many slow miles on a trail it is a nice feature. Turned my wife's trail experience into one she is willing to repeat. The wrangler is very smooth on the roads. Not the truck ride of the previous 60 years. The new wrangler is also a hot ticket car right now. it has alot of buzz around it. It is built for modifying and tinkering with. Top on, top off, doors on or off, soft top or hard top, windshield up or down. It is like the overlanders barbie doll. you can dress it up however you want. Or undress it like boys like to do.

2500Adventures

Adventurer
I like my Libby it gets me where I like to go alright....

n56400045_30201336_4471.jpg

n56400045_30201358_9735.jpg

But aftermarket stuff is just barely getting off the ground for the older model and current model of the KJ so I don't see much happening in the form of the KK except cargo attachments for the roof and maybe some exterior lighting and a mild 2" lift for the IFS like what the current KJ has...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste