Nalgene vs. metal bottles

FettsWay

Adventurer
I use 32 oz nalgene bottles on camping and river trips, as I usually stay out only 2 nights at the most. I typically freeze about 6 to 8 bottles and use that for drinking water and of course depending on the temps the frozen water will melt throughout the trip. My question is, will most expensive brand metal bottles/canteens handle frozen water without bulging and will the frozen water in those metal bottles melt slower than the nalgene in the same temps?

- fettsway

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Metal bottles don't respond well to being frozen. I think metal bottles are great, but the Nalgene Wide Mouth is still the backcountry king of bottles. Nalgene has resumed production of the 1.5 liter "Silo" bottles in the new BPA-free Tritan Lexan. Those are great to have around.

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
Metal conducts heat better than plastics. Therefore the nalgene bottles will take longer to thaw, assuming the size is similar.

RangeBrover

Explorer
I wouldn't freeze one of my kleen canteens but I prefer them because they are extremely durable and in a pinch I can use one to boil water. Love the nalgenes though because they don't dent like the metal ones. Be careful with the metal bottles they do conduct heat very well an even hot tap water in one can make the uncomfortable to hold.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I love my Nalgene stuff some of the older ones I had for years and had one when I lived in Central America I used daily but finally killed it when it froze and I did not plan on it ! had the cap on tight and it was full ! it stretched it ? very strange looking stretch marks though kinda blew me away !! again I did not plan on so yes they can go strange from freezing but not if you plan on it :)

in the freezer I leave a inch or so and caps off or very loose and never had a issue
these days I use the neoprene covers a lot to keep the sweat off them when I drink cold water but still prefer room temp water for some reason unless I am hot and trying to cool down

I never got metal ones but had a friend who had them and his got dented up and also I swear they had a taste to them no matter what you did with them ? not sure if it was the brand he had or what ?
plus I like seeing whats in my bottle if I want ;)

RangeBrover

Explorer
I'd have to say the opposite regarding taste. I left one nalgene full of whiskey and coke and it was never the same. The metal canteens don't hold a scent or flavor if cleaned properly, as long as they are stainless steel.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I'd have to say the opposite regarding taste. I left one nalgene full of whiskey and coke and it was never the same. The metal canteens don't hold a scent or flavor if cleaned properly, as long as they are stainless steel.

Heheheh true that could do it :)
Mine are water only :) I swear I can taste stainless But could be a mental thing ? Most of my life is in hot climates where water can get warm so try to keep mine clean so they don't get slimy :)

I have had a few things in our wide mouth nalgene and gotten them clean no flavor left bleach soak then cleaned with baking soda and boiling water baking soda soak :)

I agree with the Baking soda tip, it has worked for us.

I ditched plastic during the BPA scare and haven't gone back. I am a stainless steel insulated bottle convert. We have a Kleen Kanteen and a Hydro Flask and it truly amazes me how long they keep cold water.

My next purchase may be the 64 oz Growler from HydroFlask... Strictly for beer.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I have been wanting to try the hydro flask have not heard to much about them so glad to hear more ;) like the fact they have a 64 insulated

Joker

Adventurer
Got a hydro flask 21oz and love it. Actually bought it for water in the office, hated how other bottles and cups sweated all over my desk and this works perfectly; fill it full of ice and water in the morning and will refill the water a couple of times but may times no need to refill the ice. If I leave at the end of the day and there is ice left over in most cases there is still ice in the morning and if there isn’t the water is still ice cold. The only downside is they are kind of expensive but like I said they do work at least for keeping things cold, haven’t tried keeping things hot though.

syncrodoka

Adventurer
I bought the GF a hydro flask on a whim at the Hollister Hills overland rally in October and she uses it daily and loves it. She says that she can leave cold water in there and it stays cold all day and it will also keep coffee hot for hours during a race- not warm but nice and drinkable she specified. Since it is double walled it doesn't get uncomfortable to hold with hot or cold fluids inside.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i dont believe in the BPA scare and i still use mine, so i think your use of the nalgene is spot on and the best way to do it. i do think all the different bottles have uses to they're own, like the single wall stainless bottles, awesome for warming and keeping warm next to the campfire, and the hydro flask is without a doubt one of the best investments in a bottle i ever made, nothing else out there really like it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94