cold/warm sleeping bag ?

lqhikers

Adventurer
While waiting for our tiger to be finished (about 3 weeks!)
i have been searching the web for a sleeping bag layout that is a two season bag.
when i mean two season i mean a bag constructed with one side thicker for cold
weather and the other side thinner for hot weather plus a 2 person size plus a long size
(i'm 6'1) as it will be used inside the camper the mattress will insulate the bottom.
saw one listed a few years back but not lately.

any ideas would be of help.

thanks,

Les,lqhikers

windsock

Adventurer
I use a sleeping bag that is goosedown filling inside of tubes that go around the body. It zips open all the way and I can then shake the bag to distribute the down within the tubes. When it is cold I shake the bag so that the majority of down is on top and when in warmer seasons I shake the down so it is underneath me. A nice simple set up. Look at the design of any bag and see if there is this ability to move the down-filling and you have a multi-season bag.

Honu

lost on the mainland
If its for two people get two bags from same company that zippers will match
usually the square bag kind but I know that's one way of doing it :)

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
For me in the truck camper I went without sleeping bags and make the bed the same as I do at home. I like it as I can remove and add as I like, also you are not restricted to the size of the sleeping bag (I hate being confined). I use a sheet under me and a sheet, blanket and comforter on top (I actually keep two comforters on top in case of very cold weather and just fold one down if not needed as the weight is nothing to carry in the camper or use the second one for guests that are sleeping on the fold down bed).

lqhikers

Adventurer
thanks for the ideas,i should of added that the 2nd reason for a sleeping bag
was that even though we will use it in the tiger we still like to sleep out under the stars
when the weather is nice.(we live in the desert so we have many mild nights )

Les,lqhikers

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Ditto Honu's matching rectangular bag recommendation. That's we do. We have a 20 deg bag and a 40 deg bag. For warmer weather we lay the 20 deg bag out and zip the 40 deg bag on top. For colder weather we lay the 40 deg bag on bottom and zip the 20 deg bag on top. Voila! Two-person bag with two thicknesses.

Honu

lost on the mainland
bags from big agnes you can get a left hand in one temp and the right in another :) kinda cool if your other half sleeps at a dif temp ! I know my wife sleeps with two down comforters me with a sheet !
we are now going this route and seeing how it goes that way she is not cold and I am not the one opening the bag letting all the cold in trying to cool down !!!

I am sure other companies do this ? but the left right temp is kinda cool I think :)

we ended up getting 3 bags 15 and a 30 and a 45
got them so the 30 is a left the other two are rights that way we can do a 15/30 or a 30/45 and the one bag not being used can slip over whoever is colder or over both if needed

lqhikers

Adventurer
Thanks for the input,i think the answer is to get matching bags with different temp
ratings,maybe 40 degree plus and 20 degree plus.(we do not due super cold trips anymore!)

Les,lqhikers

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The Mountain Hardware Flip bag is 35/50. Of these types of bags, that's the only one I'd get. I'd also take a look at the Thermarest Down Comforter. Those are soooo comfy. We have the Down Comforter, the Alpine Down Blanket and the Tech blanket. Love those. Because of what they are, what they're made of, and how they're configured, I've used my Down Comforter in temps as low as 30 degrees and as warm as 45.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online