Engine stutter/stall on an automatic?

RichardT

Adventurer
So, my Monty (95 SR 3.5) started doing something new yesterday. As I was headed to school, when I would be coming to a stop at lights, the RPM's would drop really low to the point that I thought it was going to stall, I would tap the gas, and they would shoot right back up to normal. When I left school to come home it was a little more pronounced, no stall yet. After I did my oil change today, I was moving her around to reposition in the driveway, and she stalled out on me (mind you this is an automatic). The stutter doesn't happen in neutral or park, only when in drive or reverse.

Has anyone else had this happen? Have any ideas what might be causing it?

I've been having problems with my alarm on the truck that has a remote start, but last night due to these issues, I clipped all the wires connecting the alarm, including the one for the remote start, and it was still doing the same thing.

Any feedback would be appreciated

scrubber3

Not really here
Idle controller. It is located on the throttle body. I believe I may have one for the 3.5 laying around here somewhere.

RichardT

Adventurer
Thanks for the info, are they hard to find? And by mentioning that you have one, are you implying that I could buy it off you? Or that I should keep spares handy?

Sent from my iPhone

scrubber3

Not really here
They are found on ebay on a regular. I bought one by accident when I was trying to get one for my LS. I think they are ~40 to 50 dollars and most are free shipping. I will look for it today and if I find it I can send it to you. I can't use it for mine as the ones for an LS are different than for an SR. Just pay shipping/packaging and gas to the post office. ~20

scrubber3

Not really here
The longer you drive it with the IAC on the fritz the more chance you have of the ECU being affected detrimentally. If it were me, I wouldn't take any chances considering that an ECU and any updates I.E. reflashes will be an expensive fix to say the least.

RichardT

Adventurer
If you're able to find it, I'll take it for sure. I'm gonna hit it with carb cleaner tonight when get home to try and clean it a bit, hopefully that'll do keep it working until I get that valve. I've been looking on eBay today at them, but I don't know which part number I need, and seems like there's a ton of different ones, so until I can go home and see which one I need, I can't order anything (might be good to keep a spare around?)

Anything to keep in mind when I go to hit it with the carb cleaner?

Sent from my iPhone

scrubber3

Not really here
It is more important to get the passage clean than the actual IAC. Based on what you were saying happened when you tapped the gas, I believe it to be the actual IAC unit itself. I will look for it tomorrow. Someone in this house moves things.... I mean cleans up and hides all of the important stuff.

scrubber3

Not really here
I was all happy to see this thing go to a good home. Well, if anyone needs an IAC PN AC99 (I guess it fits up to 94 models Montero LS or possibly SR) let me know. Got one eagerly awaiting a new home to make your Montero run at the proper idle speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles