Currie Anti Rock?

jscusmcvet

Explorer
So in my dilemma over buying new disconnects for my 2001 XJ, I have been driving around disconnected. Not too bad, really. Clearly I need to do something, but am wondering now if the Anti Rock is the way to go. Do any of you have direct experience? I am not as worried about flex off road as I was in years past, and am willing to spend the extra money depending on the on road handling.

Let me know what you think.

John

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I had a Currie Anti-Rock on my 2005 Rubicon Unlimted. Worked fine off-highway, but was a little soft for my preferance on-highway, particularly on rural roads. I went back to regular disconnects.

I'm sure some people think the Anti-Rock is great on-highway, just a preference for handling on that particular platform. I've not run sway bars on my F350 for several years and don't mind it at all on that truck.

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I had a Sway-Loc. Worked fantastic, but it was a little fragile. I broke various pieces off it a few times, and ORO is terrible at maintaining product continuity and parts inventory. I actually had to have the torque rod custom milled once because ORO changed splines and lengths multiple times and had no clue what I had.

Anti-Rocks work pretty well. I followed a jeep up a paved Mtn road at a spirited pace, and his cornering was quite noticeably firmer and more controlled than mine. He easily pulled away from me in the corners, and we were otherwise similarly set up. It wasn't till we got to the trailhead and compared notes that I discovered that it was one of those times my Sway-Loc was busted (broken bell housing plate). So comparing similar jeeps on a twisty road with and without an Anti-Rock setup, I can assure you they work noticeably well compared to running without.

SquareLJ

Observer
I have Anti-Rock front and rear on my LJ. I have the front on the loosest setting. It sways a little through turns but it isn't scary or anything. You will deffinatly notice a difference going from no sway bars though. Just remember that you're driving a JEEP, not a performance vehicle. Don't speed through turns.

wADVr

Adventurer
I have been running an antilock on my xj(xj's) for 6+ years and have to say it is the most worthwhile suspension component I ever purchased. The XJ's front coils and rear leafs don't articulate at the same rate. The antirock adds some resistance to the front and allows the rear to be much more balanced with the front. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal but the ride on tougher trails is much more stable and predictable. It is firm enough for me to be comfortable driving it on the freeway but some might see it too soft.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'd trust the Antirock except for towing. I think it's a great product for somebody that's a good driver and stays within their limits.

Token

Explorer
TeraFlex has a selectable similar to the ORO SwayLock..

I've know of one person that had some issues on an early model Sway-lock.. Broke the torsion bar that runs through the tube. He called ORO up and told them what was going on, even though it was well out of warranty they replaced the entire unit for shipping costs

tweenerlj

Adventurer
I am not as worried about flex off road as I was in years past, and am willing to spend the extra money depending on the on road handling.

Let me know what you think.

John

If that statement is true, don't forget the JKS switchblade.

http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/m..._Code=JKS01&Category_Code=Swaybar_Disconnects

Not sure what it would take to adapt to an XJ though.

I have an antirock on my LJ on the mid setting. The only time that it has freaked me out is when correcting for a lane change when someone was sitting in my blind spot on the highway. I could try a stiffer setting, but never have.

reece146

Automotive Artist
I currently run JKS disconnects.

I'm a big fan of adjustable sway bar setups, especially if they can be adjusted from the interior of the Jeep. I'm really not keen on completely decoupling the axle from side to side when off-road. IME it allows too much uncontrolled weight transfer and makes me uneasy wrt a top heaviness feeling, especially when off-camber. A lot of times I will leave the sway bars connected for off-camber stuff and rely on conservative lines the tons of flex my Jeep has (long arms) even with the bars connected to get through.

Last edited:

Cityslicker

Observer
My god those set ups are expensive as hell... I just use disconnects. I love the way the Jeep flexes without the connects on,,, I like it better on the road too.. the highway is a little sketchy. but, Offroad.. I want that axle to be able to travel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles