GoPro vs. Snowpeak? REI Member dilemma.

dblosch

Adventurer
So, I wouldn't normally post something like this, but here goes:

With the REI member sale coming up, I've been searching their website for my next piece of gear. I had my sights set on the new GoPro HD2, but after some research I see that GoPro is still using a CMOS sensor, and the jello effect is still an issue with "jarring" activities, like mountain biking, etc... At one time I had a GoPro Hero "Wide" and returned it for that reason. Also, I'd probably have to upgrade my computer to really work with HD footage.

With that in mind I started looking at snowpeak stuff. I have a kitchen set up, built around the campchef oven (posted HERE http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/55253-Post-your-camp-coffee-setup?p=856736#post856736). It has been good, but i find myself looking for more working space, and some higher powered burners for morning coffee, and hot water. I will keep the current setup, and add to it... i like to cook. :sombrero: I found this "kit" on on REI's site. http://www.rei.com/product/831560/snow-peak-2-unit-bamboo-table-single-burner-stove-set It seems like a good deal to me. Adding those items together on the snowpeak site, I'd be looking at $520 before shipping. With the member coupon, and my dividend, it looks like i could get the setup for $250 after tax. There are some obvious things i would want to change, like getting longer legs. My real question is whether or not i'll grow out of the two unit IGT. And are the bamboo side tables sturdy enough to set heavy pots on, or use as a platform for a cutting board?

Thanks in advance for the input guys!

Dan

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I'm not a snow peak fan - but I've been pondering much the same thing as you. GoPro HD2, or something else. The 20% off + dividend makes it kinda affordable . . .

Sawyer

Adventurer
While I dont have this exact set up.... I do have the Baja Burner it comes with. Here are my opinions on it....

As everyone knows, Snowpeak makes great stuff. However, after using this for almost a year now, I find myself wanting a 2nd burner. So, I have been thinking about moving to a Partner 2 burner stove. Also, using the baja burner with any wind starts making it hard to adjust the flame down low without blowing out. So, if you like to use different settings when you cook you will need to make sure and get a wind screen.

So, while I really like my Baja Burner... I am left wanting for more.

Oh, another note about the Snowpeak set-up.... I think they are really nice and definitely cool. But, I am not a fan of the grills. I just cant move past my little Weber Smoky Joe. Which I cant use with the snowpeak. Then there is the fact that all the snowpeak IGT stuff starts to take up a lot of space. With the wife two kids and a dog... well space is getting tight for me. So something else to think about. Maybe look at the kit you are interested in first to see what you think of the size.....

dblosch

Adventurer
Thanks guys.

I hear you goodtimes, i never really considered snowpeak a viable option because of the cost. The REI deal could change that.

Sawyer, thanks for the insight. There's no way we could live with just one burner. With the current setup and the IGT, we'd have three. I could see wanting a second baja burner for the IGT though, for trips where the oven combo isn't "appropriate." That would definitely be at a later date. I'm with you on the grill, too. The oven runs on propane, and the Baja stove is a canister setup. That makes me feel bad enough. Needing to carry charcoal, too, isn't something I will consider. I have a Weber Q, too, that i run off the same bulk tank as the oven. I think the IGT is doable space wise, considering without it i'd end up buying a camping table anyway. (and I haven't found any I'm excited about.)

Thanks again guys, anybody else?

Dan

Jay H

servicedriven.org
Good to hear I am not the only fan of the little webber smoky joe. I sure do like mine, its simple and cooks very well.

I like to make stuff and will eventually get around to building a chuck box. I also really like the classic camp time roll a table which is durable enough and not to expensive. It also wipes clean easily, and I am a fan of the aluminum construction.
http://www.rei.com/product/378009/camp-time-roll-a-table

I really like my gopro hero hd 2 and have now over time discovered that shooting in 1080p is very over rated, at 1080 you get only 30 fps. This why is looks jumpy on rough mountain bike footage. In 720 wide screen mode its much smoother because it is taking 60 fps. Also the screen on my new lap top is only 1300 and something by 700 and some thing so it displays 720 but not 960 or 1080.
You are right though it will make you want a newer computer. I found a great one for less than a new ipad at 550 dollars. Nearly no one needs to spend more than a grand on a computer these days.

Thankfully I was looking for a new computer any way and found an awesome deal
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834158073

On the other hand a big snowpeak set up is much worse in expense because it will make you want a bigger vehicle......

dblosch

Adventurer
Thanks Jay-

I've seen the roll top table before, it's always gotten great reviews. That's pretty much the only table REI sells that I'd consider. The other stuff wobbles too much for me.

I'd definitely film in 720p with the GoPro, for the reasons you mentioned, but also because my other camera is a canon t1i, which only films at 20fps in 1080p. For a full 30fps, 720p is as high as you can go. (Plus the things you can do with 60fps in twixtor are pretty amazing!) I think that's all changed with the newer canons, but I've got to stick to one purchase at a time... LOL.

As far as wanting a bigger vehicle I've got that covered. We're in a Chevy Avalanche, soon to have the Snugtop shell on the back. There is plenty of space back there for gear for two people and a dog!

I'm still leaning toward the IGT... But I'd REALLY like to know about those bamboo "slides." Are they mounted well enough to really use? Or are they basically for setting down light stuff?

Also, I found this today: http://www.expeditionportal.com/equipment-testing/720-overland-awards-camping-gear-of-the-year-2011.html I'm not sure how I missed that in January.

Does anyone have experience with the "slides?"

Thanks!
Dan

syncrodoka

Adventurer
I had a GoPro Hero wide at one time and the quality is horrible compared to the last generation of GoPro HD cameras. I have no experience with the Hero 2 though.

Sawyer

Adventurer
the Baja stove is a canister setup. That makes me feel bad enough.

I "heard" overland gourmet is working on an adapter to be able to run the Snowpeak stuff off propane... So a solution for that should hopefully be available soon.... I think I read some where that Spressoman made an adapter as well... Might check with him to see if it would be something you can make....

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Pretty simple. Buy the GoPro from REI. Buy snow peak from supporters of your hobby, such as Overland Gourmet and Equipt1

Hafwit

Adventurer
If you are in the market for an Iron Grill Table, you will find that these rarely if ever go on sale. Thus 20% off should be a significant consideration in your decision. The GoPro cameras can be found discounted at many places, so you can probably get the same deal or better on those just about any time.

Cheers,
Greg

Yes the bamboo slide in tables are strong enough for a pot of water, chopping food or eating on. They make the table a lot of fun as everyone can have a hand in cooking and have space in front of them too. I would use the discount for the SP. Its very rare to get it at a discount. :chef:
photo copy.jpg

Last edited:

shogun

Adventurer
If you are in the market for an Iron Grill Table, you will find that these rarely if ever go on sale. Thus 20% off should be a significant consideration in your decision. The GoPro cameras can be found discounted at many places, so you can probably get the same deal or better on those just about any time.

Cheers,
Greg

You're a better finder than I. I've searched all the usual suspects and never once found the camera for less than msrp ($299).

thus my conclusion was that 20% off was the best deal one could find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94