Good-Bye Jeep Hello Ram

InvisibleOne

OverANYlander
Man, this truck is coming along nicely. You're doing some real nice work there. I just picked up an ARE shell very similar to yours, I actually love the side wing doors and am working on a design for a flip out kitchen setup out of the drivers side. Keep up the good work, looking good.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Eddy, I am back in Denmark now so we will have to wait:Wow1: to next year to drink that beer:beer: I had way to little time to do all the things I wanted to do, but check out the link above that I gave you. There are some recent updates to the things I did manage to accomplish. Last but not least, your truck looks awesome:Wow1:. Keep posting pics as there are many of us that are drooling:drool:about the work and upgrades you have going. Cheers, Chilli.:)

fasteddy47

Adventurer
Man, this truck is coming along nicely. You're doing some real nice work there. I just picked up an ARE shell very similar to yours, I actually love the side wing doors and am working on a design for a flip out kitchen setup out of the drivers side. Keep up the good work, looking good.

Thanks for the Kudo's..... The wing doors are going to be great for air circulation.... I have plans for some velcro style mosquito netting to cover them when they are open.... sort of ala tent trailer:)
Eddy

Last edited:

fasteddy47

Adventurer
Eddy, I am back in Denmark now so we will have to wait:Wow1: to next year to drink that beer:beer: I had way to little time to do all the things I wanted to do, but check out the link above that I gave you. There are some recent updates to the things I did manage to accomplish. Last but not least, your truck looks awesome:Wow1:. Keep posting pics as there are many of us that are drooling:drool:about the work and upgrades you have going. Cheers, Chilli.:)
Chilli I read your link looks like you had an awesome time this summer.... Next year we go for a beer!!
Eddy

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Chilli I read your link looks like you had an awesome time this summer.... Next year we go for a beer!!
Eddy

I will make a point of doing just that FastEddy! I wanted to hook up with Redthies too, but that did not happen either. Maybe we should all get together next year and drink lots of beer.:beer::beer::beer: That could be a cool:cool: thing to do! Cheers, Chilli.:)

bob91yj

Resident **************
First look at your build, very nice, love the power box arrangement.

I had some similar running boards to yours on my 91 Jeep, the only issue with them was when I did land on them/put weight on them they flexed enough to contact the body. I'd look at a way to put a body mount style puck between the body and the legs. I used my running boards themselves as air tanks for my York based on board air system, it worked but it did cause the boards to deform.

Permanent install of the DeWalt charger is brilliant...off to look at a spot to mount one of mine!

bjoerntheh

Hey FastEddy,
thanks for posting all your work, looks great! Why did you go for the aluminium topper and not for fibreglass? - I am living in Chile for 10 years now and did quite some traveling on Motorcycles, but now after two mayor accidents, long time in hospital,... all that within 14 month, I decided to go saver and just bought a Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel, with a long bed and am looking forward to do some work on it, similar to what you are doing. Problem is that we don't get the toppers down here and if they sell them, they go for at least double the price and I am just not willing do that. So I am looking up options in the US to import by myself and the whole interior I would do by myself. As I am new here on this terrain, are there any pages you could recomend, aditional to the expeditionportal to get usefull info and tips on building your own pickup camper?
thanks again and cheers from Chile
B.

fasteddy47

Adventurer
First look at your build, very nice, love the power box arrangement.

I had some similar running boards to yours on my 91 Jeep, the only issue with them was when I did land on them/put weight on them they flexed enough to contact the body. I'd look at a way to put a body mount style puck between the body and the legs. I used my running boards themselves as air tanks for my York based on board air system, it worked but it did cause the boards to deform.

Permanent install of the DeWalt charger is brilliant...off to look at a spot to mount one of mine!

Hi Bob thanks for the Kudo's.... I have jacked the truck up on each side by the boards only about 1/2 inch of flex. I will take another look at them when I have it fully
loaded, it might be a different story!! As for the Dewalt charger, I carry a grinder, drill, and a SawzAll with me when I am out for any length of time. The SawzAll has
a 12" trimming blade on it and is great for firewood.... I have run through more than one battery in a 4 day weekend, so I thought when I saw the charger at a garage
sale for $15 ....why not :)
Cheers
Eddy

fasteddy47

Adventurer
Hey FastEddy,
thanks for posting all your work, looks great! Why did you go for the aluminium topper and not for fibreglass? - I am living in Chile for 10 years now and did quite some traveling on Motorcycles, but now after two mayor accidents, long time in hospital,... all that within 14 month, I decided to go saver and just bought a Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel, with a long bed and am looking forward to do some work on it, similar to what you are doing. Problem is that we don't get the toppers down here and if they sell them, they go for at least double the price and I am just not willing do that. So I am looking up options in the US to import by myself and the whole interior I would do by myself. As I am new here on this terrain, are there any pages you could recomend, aditional to the expeditionportal to get usefull info and tips on building your own pickup camper?
thanks again and cheers from Chile
B.

Hi BJ, the reason I went with aluminum is mostly cost related. They are lighter than a fiberglass one of the same height as well. I know they don't look as good..but
I think it will be easy to repair if I tear or crunch it. As far as sites for building are concerned ytou are on the best one there is....
Use the Search tool type in Topper, Canopy , Cap, it brings up tons of information...
Good Luck on your build,
here's a link to a build with the same kind of canopy.... he is a member on this board check it out.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-Aluminum-DCU-“camper-lite”-build
Eddy

Last edited:

fasteddy47

Adventurer
So a few more hours on the Kamp Kitchen.... it's almost complete I am going to wrap it in
textured aluminum on the outside and oil the inside with Danish light oil.
It's actually fairly light even with everything in it. It weighs in at 47lbs loaded.

aa-0001.jpg

aa-0002.jpg

aa-0003.jpg

The Plastic jugs are for coffee, cereal. sugar, pasta, rice etc.
aa-0007.jpg

aa-0004.jpg

I like my coffee in a ceramic mug.... So I spent sometime making sure my favorite
coffee mugs don't get broken
aa-0005.jpg

With the cutting board and extension open it gives me almost 5' 6" of counter space.
aa-0010.jpg

aa-0009.jpg

Cutting board slide detail.
aa-0014.jpg

Closed Up
aa-0012.jpg

Now a whole bunch of finishing sanding and to skin it in aluminum.... :elkgrin:
Cheers...
Eddy

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The kitchen looks great Eddy! For a car shop guy, you have some good wood shop skills!

I'm in for some fishing up Pemby way, but it'll have to wait for a bit. I have 2 weeks to finish off a house I am doing in Whistler before our trip down the west side of Colorado and New Mexico. That has me working 7 days a week. When we get back it'll be mid Oct so might be getting into ugly weather...

fasteddy47

Adventurer
The kitchen looks great Eddy! For a car shop guy, you have some good wood shop skills!

I'm in for some fishing up Pemby way, but it'll have to wait for a bit. I have 2 weeks to finish off a house I am doing in Whistler before our trip down the west side of Colorado and New Mexico. That has me working 7 days a week. When we get back it'll be mid Oct so might be getting into ugly weather...

Ok.... so lets make sure we do a trip to Blackwater in the spring.... we can hook up with Chiili and his wife.... Good fishing in Blackwater... Have a good trip.
Eddy

bjoerntheh

Thanks Eddy,
already found a lot of usefull information. looking forward to see your finished campershell.
Cheers from the south
B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior