Sorry to burst the bubble...

GR8ADV

Explorer
There have been well over 500 Leap Years since Caesar created the calendar in around 45 BC. Without the extra day every 4 years today would be August something 2013.

Also the Mayan calendar did not account for leap years, so technically the world should have already ended about 8 months ago.

But it will be fun anyway:bike_rider:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
There have been well over 500 Leap Years since Caesar created the calendar in around 45 BC. Without the extra day every 4 years today would be August something 2013.

Also the Mayan calendar did not account for leap years, so technically the world should have already ended about 8 months ago.

But it will be fun anyway:bike_rider:

Great, the world ended and no one told me. That means I'm paying my mortgage for no reason!

drgnhrt1979

Adventurer
WHAT!?!?!?!?!? Why didnt anyone tell me this, I could have done a ton stuff in the name of the end of the world. But now if this were true, how do you account for the galatic alignment that is suppose to happen on Dec 21, 2012? How do we know the Mayan didnt account for leap years? They were ahead of their time, so they just may have accounted for it and we just dont know it.

drgnhrt1979

Adventurer
also, if we did not have leap year, which adds a day every 4 years, if you take that time away, would it not be April something 2010 not Aug 2013??? and the world should have ended Jan something 2011??

GR8ADV

Explorer
How do we know the Mayan didnt account for leap years? .

We don't I think. Actually I think it will be one of the great debates that may never be solved. OH my. I think the text below I stole from somewhere sums it up nicely:

In short, they don't have leap days. So their major calendar has an error rate of 1 day every 4 years. This is because the Mayan's didn't calculate decimal points at the end of 365 days. While that's not a leap 'year' it's still significant level of inaccuracy.

There's some good sources in that debate regarding 2012. I'm sure when the world doesn't end this year, many will use excuses such as the lack of decimal points to justify the lack of end of universe to keep this one limping along for another tenish years until something else becomes vogue.

drgnhrt1979

Adventurer

Ah, huh?? Enlighten me then, how is it that if you add 1 day every 4 years, that without it, it would still be XXX amount of days in the future?? What am I missing?

Give a better explanation than just "Ah, no" Ah, no dont tell me anything other than you think I am wrong...

GR8ADV

Explorer
"Ah, huh?? Enlighten me then. Give a better explanation than just "Ah, no" Ah, no dont tell me anything other than you think I am wrong..."

Sorry ok, don't have to get snippy.

I thought maybe you might think about it for a bit. How about this. If you add a day this year, it takes you longer to get to the next year, right. Ok now maybe if we don't add the day this year you get to the next year faster. Hang on. If you don't add a bunch of days over a long period of time then you get there really fast. ie, you would already be there by now, and we would be somewhere in 2013.

Ok, that is my best quick shot. I am sure someone else has a more powerful lamp than me for better enlightenment.

Last edited:

maxingout

Adventurer
I can't believe it. I was working on my Land Rover, and I completely missed the end of the world. At least I survived with my Land Rover. I hope in this new world that I can take my truck anywhere I want without getting permission from the authorities. But then if the world ended, there aren't any authorities to limit what I can do with my truck. Maybe the end of the world isn't so bad after all.

GR8ADV

Explorer
I can't believe it. I was working on my Land Rover, and I completely missed the end of the world. At least I survived with my Land Rover. I hope in this new world that I can take my truck anywhere I want without getting permission from the authorities. But then if the world ended, there aren't any authorities to limit what I can do with my truck. Maybe the end of the world isn't so bad after all.

Now that you mention the Rover, I have a buddy who swore that Hell would have to freeze over before he ever bought one. Well, a few months ago one appeared in his driveway! Holy crap, it did happen, most of us just haven't noticed.

drgnhrt1979

Adventurer
"Ah, huh?? Enlighten me then. Give a better explanation than just "Ah, no" Ah, no dont tell me anything other than you think I am wrong..."

Sorry ok, don't have to get snippy.

I thought maybe you might think about it for a bit. How about this. If you add a day this year, it takes you longer to get to the next year, right. Ok now maybe if we don't add the day this year you get to the next year faster. Hang on. If you don't add a bunch of days over a long period of time then you get there really fast. ie, you would already be there by now, and we would be somewhere in 2013.

Ok, that is my best quick shot. I am sure someone else has a more powerful lamp than me for better enlightenment.

There's my problem, I am just not thinking in the 4th dimension. 4th dimensional thinking gets me every time. Also need to remember to get some plutonium for my flux capasitor while I am at it.

Patman

Explorer
Since Ceaser invented the calender after the mayan prediction, the end date has to have been calculated using their calender and the 12,21,2012 date is just the day which lines up on our calender with thier apocalyptic premonition. Now if the people who are currently spouting the EOTW crap, have not taken this into account, it just makes them that much funnier to watch.

How about this. If the current extreme weather and seismic events/tsunami's, etc. were to hit a society like the Mayan's in their time, would it be seen as a great change, and then a new beginning? Have we as a society gotten to the point where we simply deal with it, and go on. Making the "apocalypse" just another day for us, but a world changer for them?

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
How about this. If the current extreme weather and seismic events/tsunami's, etc. were to hit a society like the Mayan's in their time, would it be seen as a great change, and then a new beginning? Have we as a society gotten to the point where we simply deal with it, and go on. Making the "apocalypse" just another day for us, but a world changer for them?

It doesn't have to just another day. If you go on the rally I am sure it won't end up being just another day! Rather, one you would remember for some time. ;)

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
It doesn't have to just another day. If you go on the rally I am sure it won't end up being just another day! Rather, one you would remember for some time. ;)

Exactly. That's why I wouldn't take any chance and come down party with us, just in case they were right.

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles