What's my First Love going to be? Land Cruiser or Land Rover?

jknobler

Observer
Yeah, I do kinda want to join the 10 mpg club. I have also been thinking of a Tacoma, seeing as we don't have Hiluxs here in the U.S. :( I could try and import one, but that's way to much effort and money. I don't plan to use this as my everyday driver, just a weekend/adventure rig.

As for the Hummer... my ex girlfriend has (or maybe had... she hasn't been driving lately) an H3.... and some kids have H2s.... I'd just love to show up with like a '98 H1 with a turbo-diesel...

FortyTwo

Observer
That's a really nice looking Land Cruiser you've got there!
That looks a lot like what the kid at my school has, just a different color. His seems to be in base coat almost.... or it's a blue color that REALLY needs a new paint job.

http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/1997_Toyota_Land+Cruiser_149130557_2

This is the Cruiser that I want, maybe the link will work this time.

Looks like it may be gone already.

Be careful getting any hopes up that a car might still be available in 6 months. It's good that you're doing research and seeing where prices are, but any specific truck will liken be long gone by the time you have the money saved. And even when you do have the cash, wait for the right one. :)

I'd have a hard time recommending a Defender over an LC to a 16 yr old paying out of pocket. Save a little cash for fun stuff.

jknobler

Observer
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I know that the Toyota cars are really reliable, and I know that LCs are too... so I'm really thinking that is going to be the make-or-break part. I LOVE the way the D-90s looks, but i keep hearing their maintenance is expensive and often.

I am wondering if I'm going to be able to work on an LC on my own.... at least the basic stuff. Not changing suspension parts and the like, but basic maintenance.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Looks like it may be gone already.

I'd have a hard time recommending a Defender over an LC to a 16 yr old paying out of pocket. Save a little cash for fun stuff.

Right. A Defender is a whole other league of Rover From Range Rovers, Discos, etc when it comes to purchase cost, and sometimes maintenance. They are just so rare here in the U.S., and it drives prices up. From your description of the prep school parking lot, I can see why you'd like to drive up in a seldom seen vehicle like the Defender though. . . Better to put your hard earned dollars to other use at this point and save the Defender for later.

David

jknobler

Observer
That's most likely the best option. I mean I'm going the be out of there in a little over a year (I'm close to wrapping up my Junior year) so it's no be deal. I'm a big car fanatic, and I'm just upset when I see all these kids show up in NICE cars (I mean there's a girl that got a brand new Audi Q5 Sport) and they complain about them. I don't have anything, I've got a bike and my legs (I carpool to school though). I do also love the outdoors and I think the Land Cruiser is what I'd go with for now. They're cheaper to buy, maintain, and I think they look kinda cool. Not as different as a Defender, but I have time to own one still, I mean I'm only 17 for God's sake. I think for now I'll work my *** off, but a series 80 or 90 LC, put a little extra money into fixing it up (if I don't get the first choice one with everything on it), and then start trying my hand at overlanding and back country adventuring.

Also if anyone has anything to add on the thread I just put up, I'd much appreciate it.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/75815-How-do-you-make-this-work?p=1077396#post1077396

It's just some fundamental questions that will likely aid in my future adventures.

haven

Expedition Leader
Put aside the daydreaming about cars, and focus on what college you plan to attend. If you're interested in off-road exploring, some place in the Rockies or Great Basin will provide endless opportunities to explore, and to meet other people who are interested in ExPo-style activities. Boise State, for example, is surrounded by lots of great off-roading. Boise State has a good program in Forestry and Range Management, the sort of credential you'd need to get a job with the Forest Service or BLM.

Continue riding your bike, and save your money for a cheap backroad beater that you can take to college. Nissan Frontier is one good choice, durable and cheaper than Toyota.

jknobler

Observer
That's, that's actually really great advice. The question is, how is their business program. I'll have to look into that. Thank you. Maybe somewhere in Colorado or Arizona. This is another aspect that I've been overlooking. Again, thank you.

enzo

Explorer
I've been looking around. The Defenders are all over Ebay, and there's a clean looking one near some of my relatives up in Michigan, and I could ask one of them to go to take a look at. It's also going for $25k, which is most likely out of my price range. What's likely to happen is that I'll be getting a job here soon, and my father may get me some old beater or something as a car to drive around. So after working my *** off this summer I should have enough money to purchase the first Cruiser I listed up there. I mean, I'm only 17, so I still have a lot of time to own both, potentially many of both. I think that the Land Cruiser might be the better option because the gas isn't the premium stuff, they'll go for almost ever, and they're cheaper.

The only question I have on what to do if I get a Cruiser to upgrade the performance. I know the inline 6 is very reliable, but it seems to me that it lacks in power, which is very bad when you have such a heavy car. Would it be a bad idea to put in a TRD turbo or supercharger? Hell, would it be a bad idea to drop out the 6 and put in the V8 from an older Tacoma? Or would my best option be just to stick with the basic I6?

Drop in a V8 from an older Tacoma? The Tacoma has never been offered with a V8. I think you meant V6.

jknobler

Observer
Well I meant the Tundra. One of the older models that's a little bit rounder in the edges, like the Tacoma. One of my teachers has an older Tundra and I get it confused with the Tacoma because it's smaller than the newer ones.

JeremyT101

Adventurer
Unless you have some money a Discovery is a terrible choice for a 16 year old.

The Land Cruiser would be a slightly better choice -- but shouldn't a 16 year old be driving a ******tbox? My first car was a 1986 Honda Civic.

I'd check the thread recently posted by a young guy that picked up a Disco... he regretted it pretty quickly.

haha that was me! Not sure if I should be honored, or upset. Its getting worked out though. I still have the grease on my hands from working on it this and last weekend. Feels good.

Seriously though for this thread, you are 16 going on 17. But you sound that either a) your family is pretty well off, or b) your friends are and you want to compete with them. Ill be honest I didn't get my first car until I was 19. I think you are thinking that you will work the whole summer potentially make the 8-10k you want for the truck and then buy it. But you just said at the top of this page you 'want to be in the 10mpg club'. thats ALOT of money being dropped in gas. I have a Rover and I certainly don't want that haha. I try to squeeze every mpg I can out of this sucker. Also, what is your plan for when a part breaks (as they often do on an old truck) and it has to get fixed. What if its a head gasket? Transmission? Brakes? Driveline?...ect Esspecially if you want to go offroading, its almost certain that something will get broken or need work after that. Now, I understand where you are coming from liking the outdoors, and wanting to get out there and drive cars like those you see in the parking lot. I'm not that much older then you (21), so I get it. But I think it comes down to dollars and cents. Does it make sense to shell out 8-12k or whatever it was for a 92 LC. You could pay 5k for a 2002 Nissan xterra or something similar. LC and LR are not the be all and end all to cars. ALSO have you considered, if you want to own this car and not your dad, how much it will cost a 16 year old to insure a car that is worth that much. Maybe where you are from that wouldn't be much, but where I live that would be something like 5 grand a year.

So you have to see how this all adds up. Even the cost of the car has more added onto it with taxes..ect Also you talked about having a civic for DD, and this for your 'weekend car'. At 16 do you really want this much money into cars, and this much responsibility. I mean if you are really wealthy then okay, but if you are trying to support these cars yourself, good luck man.

I just think you need to make a 'rational' choice right now. Get something a bit smaller, newer, better on gas that won't need to be rebuilt when you buy it (like mine) and save these trucks for when you are older and have the money to make dumb choices.

Just my 0.02$

Last edited:
i am 18 years old, my first vehicle i ever owned was a 1999 land rover discovery I SD i loved it. keep in mine i have had a job since i was 14 so i have time to save for the truck purchase/repairs. the Disco was an awesome truck, it was easy for a beginner to wrench on, there was tons of off road aftermarket parts. it was a little pricey to work on, but you'll learn than if you buy any non-american vehicle. I than decided i wanted a land rover 90. so i saved saved saved and bought one. that was a mistake. i bought a 1984 all original land rover 90 with a 2.5 NA diesel in it. i didn't have to many problems with it but i was always scared to go on an long trips, because its not like you break down and go to the closest auto parts store and pick up the part. it was also a big jump going from leather heated seats,power windows, power steering, to NONE of those things, not even a radio. if i could afford a second vehicle i would have keep the 90. also if it is your only vehicle, you better hope you Girlfriend will understand that love for the defender :ylsmoke: i know mine was! i recently sold my 90 and put a down payment on a brand new 2012 tacoma double cab.
my advice to you is to get a toyota, they are reliable,have a great aftermarket support, and are a lot easier to find nice ones. I personally am land rover lover through and through and i know when i get older i will buy another(im thinking series resto project in a year or two :) )
but toyota's are great trucks!

Attachments

• IMG_3167.jpg
    IMG_3167.jpg
    545 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1273.jpg
    IMG_1273.jpg
    543.8 KB · Views: 2

AeroSynch

Adventurer
I hope this can help, because I was in a similar situation, though I am currently 19. By the way, I live in Florida too!

I have always liked Land Rovers, and more importantly, I've wanted a 2004 Discovery for the longest time. I posted threads here asking questions to the owners of what they thought for someone young like me to own a Land Rover. All the answers came back basically the same; don't do it until you can assure yourself that you have enough money to do preventive maintenance and buy the truck cash. If not, you will be stuck with a monthly payment on something that is breaking down because you can't afford to do maintenance that the previous owner most likely did not do and neglected it.

I know you are between a Land Cruiser and a Land Rover, but maybe another option is plausible. I ended up getting a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Limited right when I started college thanks to financial aid refunds. Let me tell you, for being a full time student and working part time at a UPS Store, I love owning this truck because everything that is parts and upgrades are super cheap. The whole truck can be basically rebuilt with local store parts!

Now, just because it is cheap to own does not mean it is cheap everywhere else. It has a inline 6 4.0 engine that is bulletproof, and the drivetrain is great also. I just replaced my thermostat, water pump, radiator hoses, bought coolant, and a new radiator for all under $200.

To me, it is great because I am on a college budget and can still off road and build how I want my Jeep to be. I still like Land Rovers and really want a Discovery, but I think back to if I had one, I most likely would not be able to get it to the level I have my Jeep now.

Of course, you can bet once I turn 25, insurance gets cheap, and I have a good job and education, I will be buying a 2004 Land Rover Discovery!

BTW, this was my Jeep stock when I bought it, one owner, $3000:

f1qX5.jpg

And now with a 3.5" lift, 35s, 17" wheels, snorkel, bumper, etc:

ykjDq.jpg

jknobler

Observer
Well the thing about the girlfriend is.... I don't have one anymore. It's what ever though. I'd love to have a D-90 one day, and I have plenty of time to get to it too.

I was actually thinking about the Jeep Cherokee's, in the body style you have, but I just can't find that many for sale. I'd like to to be 4x4, that's required, but also a stick. Automatic is of course always an option, so long as it has 4x4. I know the Jeeps are good vehicles and are easy to maintain. Hell, that might be the best option, only because of how cheap they are. I mean I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to have a cool Land Cruiser { http://showroom.auction123.com/rolling_wheels_inc/inventory/7591/1997/Toyota/JT3HJ85J7V0158038.html }, but they're really bad on fuel. If I'm really lucky and I do get a car as a 17th birthday present (which is unlikely, but possible) there's nothing that say I can't work to buy another car for myself.... regardless if it's a Jeep or a Land Cruiser. Thank you for bringing that up about the Cherokee by the way. That's also the body style I like too! Sweet ride!

NothingClever

Explorer
jknobler, I'm not going to give you advice on which vehicle to purchase. I'm simply going to congratulate you for having good grammar and punctuation. That means you possess diligence, attention to detail and are probably smarter than the average 17 year old who only knows texting grammar and punctuation.

In the end you will have done your homework about the vehicle purchase, there'll be some emotion involved in the decision-making process which is inevitable, you'll find that your final choice comes with advantages and disdvantages as does everybody else's and you'll likely learn that satisfaction with your choice comes in knowing what YOU are happiest 'living with'. For example, 'I can live with the disadvantage of increased maintenance because the camaraderie of the Rover community is more important to me.' Or perhaps conversely, 'I can live with the costly gas mileage and frumpiness of an older 4Runner because I know I can travel every weekend without the worry of an expensive breakdown which will cost time and money'.

Good luck and don't forget to do good homework on all your post-high school options. The world is truly your oyster at this point in your life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles