What's my First Love going to be? Land Cruiser or Land Rover?

jknobler

Observer
I actually found a really clean looking 4x4 Cherokee, it's an automatic, and it has a little of 71k miles. It's priced right around $3000.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&catid=6001&item=300678353198+&viewitem=&itemid=300678353198

Thank you by the way NothingClever. I'm not always the best speller, even with the help that Firefox and word processors give, but I pay attention to detail with grammar and punctuation. This is because it makes a difference, and I know that, unlike most of my peers, proper English is to be used outside of English class.

I figured that there will be emotion involved, because this will, most likely, be a vehicle purchased by me for me, with my own money. It really is down between a Land Cruiser and a Jeep Cherokee. I like the reliability and size of the Land Cruiser, but it's not practical as an everyday driver. Where as the jeep gets (relatively) good gas millage, but isn't as big. They booth look like easy cars to work on and upgrade, so even if I don't get the Cruiser I want, I'll be able to add to it very easily. I have a descent set of tool, and my neighbor has a set that would make most peoples' rolling tool chest look like nothing, so I have access. I guess it all comes down to if my father "surprises me with a vehicle," something like an old tC, or something small, 4 cylinder, (regrettably) front wheel drive, and very frugal on fuel. If that happens I'll buy the Land Cruiser, if it doesn't I'll buy myself the Jeep, and pay for everything (gas, insurance, the car) and only if something goes really wrong (transmission, engine, something big along those lines) will I ask for money. I can change my own oil, I can learn break fluid and all that jazz. So there's factors, and depending upon how they fall, that will dictate which vehicle I will purchase.

List of vehicles I'm looking at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&catid=6001&item=300678353198+&viewitem=&itemid=300678353198

http://showroom.auction123.com/rolling_wheels_inc/inventory/7591/1997/Toyota/JT3HJ85J7V0158038.html

http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/1992_Toyota_Land+Cruiser_143965038_7#

NothingClever

Explorer
I haven't read all of the posts here so forgive me if this has already been mentioned.

Don't pass up the opportunity to research the background of your vehicle by using Carfax. Although the service is $40 something for 5 reports, if you have well-defined selection criteria, you can punch in the VIN of the vehicles that make it onto your 'short list' and get to know the vehicle really well before ever making a phone call. It's important to be well-armed with the right questions to ask before engaging a seller so that you don't "rush to failure" because of excitement/enthusiasm over having found the vehicle you've been hunting.

This happened to me with a 1st Generation Toyota Tacoma I bought without asking for undercarriage photos. The body and engine were flawless from the 30 some photos on the webpage, it had exceptionally low mileage, it was a single owner vehicle offered by a major Toyota dealership in Chicago and the price was exceptionally good. When I asked over the phone about the rust on the undercarriage, they assured me it had no rust. I booked a ticket and flew out to find the vehicle was as perfect as advertised in every way excpet for the frame was, in fact, rusty. It wasn't rusty for Illinois but it was rustier than what I would have accepted if it had been on the local lot in the dry Rocky Mountains. No harm, no foul - I had the frame inspected twice and re-painted so the truck is back to 100% but I learned a valuable lesson. Dig past the glossy photos, ask the right questions even though things seem perfect and get more photos.

I'm currently using Carfax for another vehicle purchase and life is much easier. I have well defined search criteria to help me make choices between gas or diesel and which generation of truck to chase and which to avoid.

I have a couple of things I look for when I look at Carfax reports.

1) A few long term owners are better than a series of short-term owners. I can afford to limit the number of total owners to 2.
2) Never owned / operated in a rust-belt or a state that uses salt on the roads in the winter. Check the US/State DOT for what they put on the roads.
3) No accidents.
4) No open recalls involving safety or engine reliability.
5) Periodic servicing at a dealership so that I can call and ask the service manager about the vehicle.

Some of these might put a vehicle out of reach for you because a well-cared for vehicle with minimal owners will be more expensive but I wanted to give you some examples to help you develop your own list of search/selection criteria.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck with your research and decision!

jknobler

Observer
I plan to only buy within an area that I can travel to in under 8 hours by car. This makes it so I can see the car, with out too much expenditure, and physically see this. This is of course after I do research with Carfax. I plan to also bring a friend that's a mechanic to take a look at the vehicle. I think Carfax is also a good investment if I plan to be buying a used car.

PETER PETRAKIEV

Adventurer
....... The Defender puts a smile on my face every time ........

Hello,
.... remember these words, whatever you buy, there is much truth in them.
Select him to it is reserved/viewed truck, to can then to him do make any such see it in your dreams.
Not to hate with repairs from the beginning.

Success and good luck.I hope to grasp the meaning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles