What's my First Love going to be? Land Cruiser or Land Rover?

jknobler

Observer
I know that there will be other girls. It's hard for me to let go sometimes. That, and I see her daily. I figure my 4x4 will replace her..... give it my love and attention.

Thanks for the bit about the Jeep first. That's kinda been my thought as well. I can beat it and run it hard. Once it's time for us to part, I'll do just that. I'll take the stuff I bought off, and sell anything that won't go on another vehicle (which means everything short of the winch, lights, and maybe the tires).

I'm think and 80 or 90 series.

Here are two examples of what I'd buy, listed by preference of which I'd like as first choice.
1: http://showroom.auction123.com/rolling_wheels_inc/inventory/7591/1997/Toyota/JT3HJ85J7V0158038.html
2: http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/1992_Toyota_Land+Cruiser_143965038_7#

jknobler

Observer
Well, I'm glad you approve! Hahaha!

I don't plan to buy this thing very quickly, and to take my time with it. This is going to be something that I invest in all on my own. I'll buy it, pay the insurance, and gas. An added factor to this is that my parents can't ever take it away from me, because I'm paying for 100% of it.

It may end up between the Land Cruiser and the Jeep.
The Jeep is cheap (the fact that it rhymes points something to some people, I'm sure), but because of that I have a lot of room to build on it.
The Land Cruiser is a little more expensive, but will last much longer.
The 4runner is in the middle.

I frankly think that the Jeep would be a "fun" first car, in a sense. I can "trick it out" with big wheels and a snorkel and such, and take it mudding (because it's light it's easier than with a Cruiser... I'm starting to pick up on that trade-off), and when it's all said and done, and the car is either dead or I'm ready to move on I'll take what I can to keep, what I can to sell, and then get the Jeep "outta here" either piece by piece, to a "you-pull-and-pay" place, or to someone who wants it as a project car. Basically what ever will fetch me the highest return for the vehicle will be the place that it goes.

jknobler

Observer
Yes yes yes!!!! I want this! Cheap, long lasting, dependable, capable.... everything I need! I'll sacrifice fuel economy for this.
I personally think it looks really good too.

pfran42

Observer
The hood is atrocious as is the damage multiplier and I bet it is pretty beat up inside but for $2500.00, I would buy it in a heartbeat. It would be a great truck to learn on.

jknobler

Observer
Well I'm not going to be getting a Rolls Royce on the inside. I never expect that. However, I DO know a few people that have those luxurious cars.... mmmmm :drool:

I would too... I joined the forum, and I'm going to message the guy.

phsycle

Adventurer
LC for a high schooler or even a college kid is ridiculous. Cost and time of maintenance, not to mention the horrid gas mileage can't be done on $10/hr (unless you got mom/pop funds supplementing your income). Especially during school when you're working part time. I had an older Honda at college. Cheap, reliable, almost zero maintenance. If I were to do it again, I'd get a 2 or 4WD 4-cyl 5-sp Tacoma/Pickup. Perfect for budget camping, drive-in's, road trips, etc.

Last edited:

scrubber3

Not really here
Yes yes yes!!!! I want this! Cheap, long lasting, dependable, capable.... everything I need! I'll sacrifice fuel economy for this.
I personally think it looks really good too.

Remember the emotional tie I was talking about? I know this looks good, but be careful and take someone with you to spot the faults. If it is in good order, I'd say that it is a good idea. Just don't be too wide eyed when you talk to the guy. :) By god, please find a different hood before you buy it if you settle on this one.lol

Good find pfran.

jknobler

Observer
If I had a social life I'd agree that it's a horrible choice. But I don't really... not sure if that makes me lucky or a social outcast. I don't much care though, because it frees me up to have a great 4x4.

Worst case scenario, I get it, put on a few things, and then I have to sell it. I pop off the winch (the most expensive thing I'll put on there) and sell it with all the rest of the stuff I've put on there.

I'd probably call in my uncle who is a mechanic, or a friend of mine that is one. I wouldn't buy this just off hand. I just really like it.

Why is everyone down on the hood? I mean, is it the air scoops? What is it?

scrubber3

Not really here
The style is from a Trans Am ram air hood. I am sure it is non functional and looks like something a crackhead would put on a honda civic that has a coffee can as it's exhaust.(only my opinion mind you) If you can make it functional in a way to remove heat from under the hood and you like the way it looks, then by all means rock it and don't worry about what anyone else thinks or says. I was 17 once. :bike_rider:

jknobler

Observer
I mean, I think it add a little character. I can always get a stock hood to have on hand, should the scoops not look good with a Snorkel.... wait.... yeah... hood has to go. I don't need water getting into the engine through those vents. Oh well... I'd probably get this thing re-painted, and take the hood in too, just to have it if I ever want to put it back on.

I love the hood you've got on your Monty Scrubber, by the way! You've got quite the rig.

pfran42

Observer
The style is from a Trans Am ram air hood. I am sure it is non functional and looks like something a crackhead would put on a honda civic that has a coffee can as it's exhaust.(only my opinion mind you) If you can make it functional in a way to remove heat from under the hood and you like the way it looks, then by all means rock it and don't worry about what anyone else thinks or says. I was 17 once. :bike_rider:

^^^What he said^^^

I mean, I think it add a little character. I can always get a stock hood to have on hand, should the scoops not look good with a Snorkel.... wait.... yeah... hood has to go. I don't need water getting into the engine through those vents. Oh well... I'd probably get this thing re-painted, and take the hood in too, just to have it if I ever want to put it back on.

I love the hood you've got on your Monty Scrubber, by the way! You've got quite the rig.

Its not a water/snorkel thing (although if you have water that high, you are going to have other massive problems). Water can get in just fine from underneath the vehicle. It is just a functionality thing. I don't know about the other makes but Land Cruiser owners who typically hang out on forums such as this one or Mud, generally frown on modifications that serve no purpose. Sure they will go as far as painting their emblems (I did), and slapping some decals on their rigs but 99% of the time, parts added/altered on the truck serve a purpose.

Last edited:

jknobler

Observer
If I get it I'll see how it looks with the snorkel. If it looks like crap, the hood goes. I want the snorkel more than the hood. But if they work together it can stay.

Compromises make the world go 'round!

Actually that's a lie.... oil, money, and violence make the world turn.....
I a bit of a cynic, just for future warning.

scrubber3

Not really here
You shouldn't worry about water getting into the engine bay. Regardless of whether you ford through water and it gets in there or water gets in from a little rain. I shouldn't hurt anything. If you'll be putting up a snorkel the engine should be sealed anyway and it more than likely is considering it is a land cruiser.

The hood louver on mine is fully functional and I actually got it from AZ for 14 dollars. I used 3M 5200 marine sealant to apply it to the hood after cutting out the section of hood it went over. After it cured I painted/ blended it to match the rest of the hood. Mitsubishi made some Pajero models with a hood a bit similar to this one. The sealant I used WILL NEVER come loose and is used in extreme needs for adhesion. The whole build (I mean everything!) was done by me exclusively with the exception of someone doing a little of the timing belt replacement because I had to eat. The guy is actually a more capable mechanic than myself so I had no problem with the help. He also recharged my AC while I was at a meeting. I can say that I am very proud of the time and effort that has been spent on my rig. Maybe you can get a few ideas from the build. Thanks for the props. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I am always open to help with advice BTW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier