What's my First Love going to be? Land Cruiser or Land Rover?

jknobler

Observer
I'm 16, going on 17, and I'm still looking for my first vehicle. I love the outdoors, I love cars, adventure, and travel. I really would like to start getting into overlanding and expeditionary off-raoding. I'm just not sure what vehicle to purchase, or to ask for. I've heard that both the Toyota Land Cruiser and the Land Rover Defender are good for overlanding, but I'm not sure which to choose. I'm also not sure what to do if I buy a stock one of either of these vehicles. I know that I'll at least need a bull bar, some skid plates, and, unquestionably, a winch. I'd really like some guidance from people that know what they're talking about. I'm looking to spend as little money as possible on the car, but willing to put money into the vehicle once I have it. I'm also wondering if anyone has anything they can tell me on how to improve fuel consumption and which vehicle is the best. Any advice or guidance, as well as what to look for in the vehicle itself would be very helpful. Thank you guys!

Some of the Land Cruisers that I'm looking at:
http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/1997_Toyota_Land+Cruiser_149130557_2
http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/1992_Toyota_Land+Cruiser_143965038_7

{Also posted in Land Rover section}

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Do yourself a favor and don't buy either. You can't afford it. Gas mileage sucks and gas is expensive. Parts are expensive. You have plenty of time to own either once you are finished with college and have a real job.

EDIT-
Just looked at both Cruisers. How are you affording either? That's a lot of coin for a 16 year old. When I was 16-19, I had a full-time job and it was all I could do to afford gas (and that's when gas was $1 a gallon). If the budget's stretched, what do you do when something breaks?

Bottom line, these are not cheap vehicles to own and operate.

Last edited:

KC Cruiser

Adventurer
X2, I would maybe look at 4runners or Tacomas first. I have an 80 and a 40 and not a day goes by that I am not working or tweeking something on one of the trucks. Don't get me wrong, I love them both and would cry if I had to give them up, but bottom line is they are NOT cheap to maintain and gas is outrageous. I had a locked 97 4runner that did good on gas, toyota reliable and (almost) went everywhere my 80 goes;)

Good luck with the search! BTW you should be able to find a factory locked 93-97 for $4500-10,000 depending on your budget and bells and whistles.

pfran42

Observer
I know this is going to ruffle some feathers but if you are 17 and understand the value of currency, do not, I repeat do not purchase a Land Rover if the other option is a Land Cruiser. I have owned multiple examples of both and if I were 17, the last thing I would want is mystery break-downs at the most inopportune times and the bills that come with them. The last two LRs I had averaged around $800/mo. in repair bills.

I really hate to say all that b/c I absolutely love the name, look, ride, and "ruggedness" of Land Rovers. I fell into the "image" trap when I was your age and I could only afford LRs, BWMs, and Mercs that were well out of warranty and just getting into the "my ride needs $500 in repairs every month just to keep it road-worthy" stage of their lives. Sure they were clean, straight and looked good, but that is of zero benefit when it strands you when you least expect it.

Now if you have a silver spoon in your mouth and your 'rents will foot any repair bills then by all means...BALL HARD!

Last edited:

t4rman

Adventurer
Girls are more expensive than land cruisers! I vote dog cruiser girl.

My father has an 80. Its a great truck. Gas is something to think about for sure. Modifications and adventures are hard to have if all your coin is spent on gas. I put a giant roof rack on my 4runner and proceeded to get 11mpg highway. It severely limited my ability to travel long distances. Now I'm having to undo modifications to save on gas.

I second the Tacoma or early 4runner idea. You can get good mph and also save on maintenance by buying a truck you can work on yourself.

Either way you are doing the right thing by seeing what others have say. Good luck with your search!

Last edited:

jknobler

Observer
I know it sounds crazy that I want any sort of big 4x4 at 17....wait, I retract that statement. I just figure I'd get started early. I've done research and the two companies that cme up a lot are Toyota (with the Land Cruiser, Hilux {not in America much to my chagrin}, Tacoma, all that jazz) and Land Rover (Defender, Classic Range Rover, Discovery). I really am beginning to think that a Toyota is the way to go. I know that all cars, regardless of make and model, need some maintenance. I keep hearing that the LRs are a nightmare sometimes, and if I had the disposable money that most kids that go to my (prep) school had I'd get a D-90 because I could. I love the way the look and I love the uniqueness, but in the end I think that the Land Cruiser will end up being the more cost-effect option (ignoring the gas factor). If I plan to drive anywhere in this thing it'll be to and from school during the week. Yeah, I'll take it camping and adventuring, but I doubt I'll be taking to visit friends, because most of my "friends" never want to hang out anyways. I've got a bike that I ride to a from work, so that's money saved there.

I already have a dog (though admittedly he's the family's dog, and he's little), so I'll move to the Cruiser. Trust me, I've been trying with the girls, but they just don't seem to take to me. My last girlfriend was a four month thing that ended in November last year. It was up and down, but we loved each other. It ended because she kept making me choose between her and my family. I'm sorry, but you'd loose that battle until I'm seriously considering marrying you.
So seeing as the other two options are covered, Land Cruiser it is.

I do also like the 4runners, and I'll have to look into that.

And upon looking back I did catch "The Sound of Music" bit. Thanks for point that out!

If anyone has anything to add to my other thread that is just some basic beginner's questions please feel free to add and take a look:

jknobler

Observer
Well I don't plan to drive it everyday. Most likely it's going to be a recreational/part-time use vehicle

MuleShoer

Adventurer
Listen to you all tearing up a dream....I think the best thing you can do at your age is buy an old rig to work on. the hands help develop the mind and in today's society there is little to use your hands on when you are seventeen... I put myself through college working in a 4X4 shop, my vehicle back then was a 1952 M38C1C. Though 35 years later I still can't spell

Forget the LR...Great fun but expensive to maintain, I just got rid of mine and went back to an FJ40.. go toyota FJ, You can get parts and learn the ins & outs of being you own mechanic

jknobler

Observer
Thank you. I kept noticing that too. I mean I don't want this as an everyday driver, it's just not practical, and I know it. I'm just looking for something that I can take out into the wilderness, that's tough, that I can work on myself, and something that I can turn into my own vehicle. I plan to buy this myself, pay the insurance cover the gas and parts, and I plan to have it for a long time. I do think that the Cruiser is the way to go, and there's some good ones out there. I've just got to make the money and find the right ride. It's all a matter of time, and that's something I have a lot of.

5Runner

Adventurer
I had a third gen. 4runner before moving to the LC. I had too because the runner wouldn't fit my family...

...had I no family of 5 to haul around...I would have kept my 4runner for certain. Check out the 3rd gen runners...amazing vehicle.

No matter, I think your wise to ask around. Congrats...this is going to be a fun experience.

jknobler

Observer
Thank you! I'm looking all over the place, and everyone is giving me a lot of ideas. One person has brought up the idea of the '98-'99 Jeep Cherokee, a vehicle I happen to really like, as a option. They're cheap, easy to wrench on, and American (easy to find parts) The 4runners look like good options as well, as do the Cruisers. Everything will be decided by the winds of fate. I know a few people here have posed some stuff as to their skepticism of me having another car as a DD, and to be honest, I don't expect it to happen. My father "doesn't see the need" for me to have ANY vehicle, and keeps telling my mother to buy me one. This won't work, seeing as my mother is trying to cut our spending (divorced parents). So with any luck my step-mother will talk him into going to the auction to get something small and good on gas. If that does happen, as unlikely as it may be, I'll spring for the Cruiser. However if it doesn't, I'll go for the Jeep or 4runner.

t4rman

Adventurer
Another thought could be to look at an older cruiser. Maybe an FJ60 or FJ62. They are the same general size and you could pick one up for a lot less money than an 80

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94