What's my First Love going to be? Land Cruiser or Land Rover?

jknobler

Observer
True, true. I'm just not as big a fan of their styling. That and the only other kid at school that drives a real 4x4 (and uses it) drives something from the 60 series.

t4rman

Adventurer
Yeah. I guess it's all personal opinion. I think they look great. Keep us updated on the cruiser search. I would hold out until you find one with factory lockers.

NothingClever

Explorer
I'll take a radical departure from predictable advice and suggest the puchase of a dual sport motorcycle as your "backcountry" / "expedition" / "overland" vehicle.

Low cost, excellent gas mileage, simple platform from which you can learn great maintenance principles and procedures and ALL of the adventurous, savoir faire a teenaged, young man is hungry for.

That's my U$D00.02 worth.

jknobler

Observer
I would LOVE to own a dual sport motorcycle. But there's one problem with this idea. Even if I pay for the bike, the gas, the insurance, the parts and upkeep, and every las little think on there, I'd still not be allowed one. My parents would not pay for college, or anything else at that point. So for the next 4 to 10 years (I'm looking at a lot of schooling.... and not a PhD in sight for it) I won't be owning a motorcycle.

But after that I'll have two or three. I love dual sports, cafe bikes, and hard tails.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I really wouldn't worry so much about the image of what you drive in high school... you have a year+ left there. If this is something you plan on keeping for a long time and through college it needs to be reliable, get decent mileage, and be easy/low cost maitenence. You might have money to buy the rig after a summer of work but in college you will either be broke and/or you will have to work a lot at a low paying job which added to school time means no adventure time. The lower your costs the more freedom you'll have to actually get out and play. A 3rd gen 4runner, a montero, montero sport, xterra, tacoma, or frontier are what I would look at for purchasing cost vs. capability vs. ease/cost of maitenence vs. mpg's. Another thing to keep in mind if you are planning on moving to the Rockies is Cruisers are slow....there are lots of very tall mountains here. 18mpg will help an immense amount when planning trips vs. 10mpg. I just graduated college last June and if I could have the money back that I threw away at customizing my cars in HS I would have been way less stressed and happier in college. Plus working on broken stuff while you have finals and a job SUCKS. Buy one vehicle that can do it all, will see you through college, and keep it mostly stock will = happiness and more time to adventure.

jknobler

Observer
How do you feel about a '98-'99 Jeep Cherokee Limited? I think that might be the ticket. Low cost to buy, reasonable on gas, and easy to work on at home. It's got the Jeep name, so it should be pretty good for off-road expeditions. It's also small, and seems like a good entry vehicle into the world of overlanding and back-country adventuring due to their low purchase cost.

MCObray

Explorer
How do you feel about a '98-'99 Jeep Cherokee Limited? I think that might be the ticket. Low cost to buy, reasonable on gas, and easy to work on at home. It's got the Jeep name, so it should be pretty good for off-road expeditions. It's also small, and seems like a good entry vehicle into the world of overlanding and back-country adventuring due to their low purchase cost.

I think that would be the wise choice, as well as cost effective, for you at this point in time. I so desperately want an 80 Series too, but with being in college and only working a part-time job, the funds are not sufficient enough to afford the initial cost of an 80 Series, the modifications I want to do to an 80 Series, and the gas/diesel:Wow1: to power an 80 Series.

I own a 1999 Jeep Cherokee and picked it up for only $4900 about 1 1/2 years ago. I could not be more satisfied with this vehicles as it still provides decent MPGs (13-18MPG), a good selection of after-market accessories, as well as being quite capable. They are great vehicles and have a great engine implanted in them (4.0L Straight 6). The only thing I would suggest when looking at a Jeep Cherokee is to steer clear of the 2000-2001 model as they have a notorious engine head that is prone to cracking (0331 head). PM me if have any questions regarding the Jeep Cherokee. Good luck in your search!
P.S.
Ain't a bad thing that they look great either!
IMG_0116_2.jpg

jknobler

Observer
I personally think the old Cherokees are on par with a D-90s. I'm sure that'll ruffle a feather or two, but it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

Really the only thing I'd add to what you've got is a bull bar with a winch, and a snorkel, just because I like the way they look. I'd probably add on a skid plate or two for good measure of course.

I've been figureing that it's a good and capable vehicle for learning the basics of overlanding and expeditionary off-roading. I'm sure as a first car it will be fine. I do still badly want a Land Cruiser, but as I've said a few times now, I'm just 17 and I have plenty of time to own one.

Oh, and my avatar is a picture I took of a clean looking Defender in Athens, Greece last year.

pfran42

Observer
I would seriously consider a 4Runner if you are now considering a Cherokee. Go to a used car dealership and crawl around a Cherokee. Stick your head up under the dash and take a close look at the wiring looms, nuts, bolts, fasteners, thickness and construction of brackets, quality of materials, etc. Now sit back up and press the palm of your hand firmly against the dash. You hear that creaking? Look under the vehicle at the drive train, taking note of how robust it appears.

Now do the same on a 4Runner.

Another exercise to consider (at least it works in Atlanta) is to note how many 15-20 year old Cherokees you see on the roads compared to the number of 4Runners.

I think these two suggestions will objectively point you to the best choice of vehicle.

Last edited:

scrubber3

Not really here
I will second the notion on a 4runner as it will take a good bit of money to make the XJ a sturdy enough vehicle to get to Toyota level. It will be a choice you will not regret. If for some reason you are inclined to pursue a less expensive build that will be along the same lines (except with more room) you can go with a 2nd or even 3rd Gen Montero. The aftermarket isn't as available as a 4 Runner but IMHO you don't need all that much for one. Just be sure you have a good timing belt and you are good to go. Initial investment isn't much at all and you can easily make a very capable overland rig for a fraction of the cost of a Toyota and a good bit less than a Heep. I mean Jeep. No offense. :) See my build thread if you are interested although I know that when most people see it, they have no idea what it is.

If this isn't an option for you, please go with the Toyota, but be sure to get one as stock as possible. Competent reasoning will enlighten you as to why. That being said, if you can get a very good deal on an XJ and are willing to put better axles, joints, driveshafts in it then that would be a good choice. The final choice is up to you and you seem like a bright kid. I am sure you will make the best decision, but if you do not it will only be a lesson learned. You will have many ahead of you.

If you do have the coin and can afford to drive it, I'd go with a Land Cruiser over any of the other choices. I know that not everyone (including myself) could afford a vehicle near 10 grand at 16, but if you can..... I say do it. The reliability will save you money in repairs that could be spent on gas that a less reliable engine will save you. Most Land Cruisers have been well kept since the majority of the people that have owned them tend to spend the money on upkeep since they are so expensive to begin with.

In conclusion- If you want and can honestly afford a LC then by all means get one. If not, the 4 Runner is a great option. Let us not forgot the Montero if you can find a good example to purchase. Lastly, the jeep could be a good first rig as parts are found in every crevice of every parts store in the USA. Just remember to beef up the drive train and the body as a Cherokee is a built as a uni-body and not an on-frame build. (google the pros of using an on-frame build vs uni-body for overland use)

HTH

jknobler

Observer
I'll have to take a look and do some research on the 4runners. But a lot of people have kept pointing me towards them The question here is "what is the initial purchase cost?" If that's equal/close to the Jeep I'll highly consider it.

How is the aftermarket supply for a third gen 4runner?
I'll look into the Montero as well.

In regards to the Jeep, I'd plan on putting in some good diffs, axles, and upgrade everything. Over a period of time of course. I don't plan to leave too much stock, but I'm not just going to use it for the body either.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I would seriously consider a 4Runner if you are now considering a Cherokee. Go to a used car dealership and crawl around a Cherokee. Stick your head up under the dash and take a close look at the wiring looms, nuts, bolts, fasteners, thickness and construction of brackets, quality of materials, etc. Now sit back up and press the palm of your hand firmly against the dash. You hear that creaking? Look under the vehicle at the drive train, taking note of how robust it appears.

Now do the same on a 4Runner.

Another exercise to consider (at least it works in Atlanta) is to note how many 15-20 year old Cherokees you see on the roads compared to the number of 4Runners.

I think these two suggestions will objectively point you to the best choice of vehicle.

I always considered a Cherokee a throw away vehicle. They are not really that robust.

jknobler

Observer
Look, I just need a good car to start. I have time to move up and get other, more robust, vehicles in my life. But right now I've got a bike and my legs.... not really a thing I can use to go across town on the highway to go camping.

If a Jeep is the cheapest car that will run with a 4x4 drive train, then that's going to be it. While I have that I'll save up money then buy a 4runner or Cruiser.

pfran42

Observer
Why don't you give us a firm price range? This thread is all over the place. You started out wanting a D90 or Land Cruiser and now you are stating that the Jeep Cherokee is the cheapest vehicle with 4X4 that you can afford. We can help in the decision making process but first we need to narrow your scope and focus.

Another thing to consider when on a tight budget... The $1000.00+ in tools that you will amass for a Jeep will be just about useless once you move up to Toyota. Tools nickel and dime you and when you finally have a full toolbox, it can easily be worth $3-4K.

One more thing:

4Runner

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searc...erid=652231&dma=ATLANTA_NW2&rdm=1332779929886

Cherokee:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searc...nerid=67568&dma=ATLANTA_NW2&rdm=1332779801813

It appears that prices are similar. Keep in mind that a 4Runner with 150k miles is equivalent (in my opinion) to a Cherokee with 80K miles.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cruisertoy

Explorer
The Rover link must have sold. The 92 Cruiser is Way over priced. You should be able to pick up a 93+ for $5-6k with the same milage. Buying a 4runner or Tacoma would allow you to purchase something newer for the same amount of money. Less money into maintaining an older vehicle equals more money for modifications. That being said, my 93 FZJ80 went for 280k miles with an altenator and oil changes. I replaced the head gasket on my 97 FZJ80 and an EGR valve but other than that it has had nothing other than oil changes with 180k miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles