M101 Vs toyota bed trailer

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
I'm just looking for some information and rough numbers. Possibly some pros/cons with those that have experience with either.

Basically, with either set up i would like to run the same size tires as my rig, trailer axle with same hub pattern as well. I would have a RTT on top of a m101cdn, outfitted with other gadgets i saw fit.
On the truck bed trailer I would have a camper shell and sleep inside of that. Sure, I could throw a RTT on this instead, but I think a hard shell would be a nice feature to have. In addition a possibility of adding one of those SUV tents to the back if added space was needed.

Would one be significantly heavier than the other? Also, is the footprint of one trailer a lot larger? i am expecting the truck bed to be slightly wider, and overall trailer length to be a bit longer, but Should still be small enough to follow my 4runner
One benefit i see with the truck bed is it matches (toyota) but being in the military now and a military type trailer would be cool. A truck bed has a tailgate already, and if I happened to need to haul something I could remove the shell and haul stuff.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Sounds like the pick up trailer is what would suit you best.
You'll have to change axles with either, so find a good condition PU bed
build a new frame " lighter than a trucj frame and a cheep cap.
Paint it all to match and away you go.
Keep us posted on the decision.

java

Expedition Leader
I went with the truck bed. Its lighter than the m101's and fits my needs of a utility trailer also. size can be dependent on which size bed you choose to start with.

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
would the bed trailer limit my abilities off the paved roads in comparison? just seems like EVERYONE goes with the military trailers...

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
would the bed trailer limit my abilities off the paved roads in comparison? just seems like EVERYONE goes with the military trailers...

Why would it? If you get a Tacoma/Ranger/S10 bed it's the same width as the vehicle towing it, plus it's fairly light. As for the military trailers, they do have some nice features but they can be obnoxious as the same time.

Pikeman

Adventurer
I was planning on using a Tacoma bed from the same year group as my 4Runner. I ended up with an M101 which is still the same width as my 4Runner but is a heavy trailer. I went this route because finding a Tacoma bed in decent enough condition was still going to cost me anywhere from 600-1100 in So Cal(at least when I was looking) and would still need axle and frame material expense. There is a big difference between an M101 and an M101CDN. The M101CDN is the same size category as the M100, M416 1/4ton approx a 4x6 box trailer, they are harder to find and also more expensive. The M101 is the 3/4 ton and has a 5.5x8ft box on it and can be found at auction for $200+ and private party $400-1200.

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
yeah, which is why I was thinking the CDN or a 416...the US M101 is just too large for me (heavy)
Thanks for all of the input so far! Hopefully I can get something purchased and onto a build in the near future

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online