Help needed on selecting high output alternator

Flip_4_It

Jeff Brown
I searched the threads and couldn't find any information on here about DC Power Engineering alternators. I need to upgrade my alternator and am trying to find the best high output alternator I can find for reliability.

Has anyone installed a DC Power 270 amp alternator?

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/vaf/produ...07&engine=2017

What are everyone thoughts on this alternator compared to Mean Green and Mechman?

This will be going on a 2007 Nissan Titan, but they have alternators for many different rigs, just wanted some input before I spend this amount of money for an alternator.

Thanks

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
What's the goal with installing such a high amp alternator? Winch Duty, faster battery charging? plenty of buffer?

For battery charging, I'd say save your money. Once 14.4 volts are reached, the voltage regulator allows the alternator to produce only enough current to maintain 14.4. This can be as little as 20 amps with batteries under 75%, so basically there would be little difference. Between a 270 amp alternator and a 75 amp alternator, except the 75 amp alternator 'might' produce more current at idle speed.

I think the tension required on a serp belt to produce 270 amps might be extreme, and still slip while wearing out the bearings on the other accessories faster.

Alternators do not produce free electricity. It takes ~ 1 engine HP to produce 25 amps.

Flip_4_It

Jeff Brown
I need to upgrade my alternator to provide more power to my auxiliary loads that include six 100w lights, winch, bed lights, etc., and will be adding an inverter and fridge soon. I probably don't need one as big as the 270 amp alternator but haven't found much in-between. My stock alternator is a 130amp and about 100amps at idol. My truck (2007 Nissan Titan) already uses almost 100 amps stock with all loads running and that doesn't leave many extra amps to run my auxiliaries when at idol. I am looking for quality and reliability in a higher output one. I will check on the belt tension issues, I hadn't considered that issue. I know the DC Power alter runs the stock pully size but I will have to get more info on the tension. I appriciate your input, that's why I posted this. I would rather learn from others that learn from my expense.

Spargman

Adventurer
Iraggi makes a 220amp that idles @ 180...that's the one I have.

Check him out on Steve Meade (sp) design and send an email...easy guy to work with.

panzerkw

alternator

I have an DCpower 250 amp on my rig (2005 dodge 3500 qc 4x4 cummins).
When mine came it looked better than the website. I went with theirs since it was not a re-worked alternator but a new factory highoutput unit.
Nice looking, quality unit and their support was spot on. You can't go wrong with their unit
I still have the original unit with 45000 miles on it. I changed alternator because I have a FWC grandby with two new diehards in it and I wanted them properly juiced and for future mods

cheers

Flip_4_It

Jeff Brown
Thanks for the replys. I have decided to go with the DC Power alternator. It is at the top end of the price spectrum for an alternator but it seems to have reviews that support that.

Expedition Leader
The only experience I have is with the Mean Green 200-amp alternator in one of my trucks. It has been stone reliable for the two years I've had it. No more dim lights at idle, and it runs everything I can throw at it (winch, fridge, air compressor, stereo amp, upgraded headlights, multiple radios, gps, etc.).

Fastlane

I am a Mechman dealer, so my opinion is biased.

Just be sure that you are getting a modern alternator and not something like an adapted GM 12si. The si series has been around forever and people love them because the the "one wire" function. However, modern alternators (Denso Hairpin, Mitsubishi 6g, etc) can adapted for use on simplistic "one-wire" applications, or can be adapted to factory harnesses. The modern alternators are of course more efficient, durable, and can afford higher idle-outputs and max rpms.

Not knowing what DC power offers for your application, I cannot comment on their unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne