TRAILER SIZE QUESTION

huntinhick

Hello,

I have been reading all the trailer builds and living vicariously through your builds while planning my own. I am having a problem deciding between a 4x8 vs a 4x6 build. I will am planning a utility build with a removable "roof rack" that will carry kayaks and fishing rods in installed tubes. It will be used to carry fishing and camping gear and for hunting trips. I will need to be able to carry at least 40 gallons of water and the tents cots and all that. I will also need to be able to tote game such as deer and elk back home to be processed. for quick trips in the winter I plan to make a canvas cover for the roof rack that will enclose the trailer and give me a place to sleep in the snow with out having to set up a tent. Having said all of that I am leaning towards a 4x8 but I am worried that it will be to big to drag up some of the fire roads and trails. I do not rock climb or do hard core 4x4 but I do enjoy rough roads and getting places to hunt and fish most don't go. so the question is do you think I should go with a 4x8 or 4x6? I will be towing it behind my 05 liberty crd. I plan on using at least 3500 axles. If I take a trip with my wife and kids that makes 6 of us and that can be alot of gear.

thanks
carl

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Make it a 4x8 Someone will have to ride in it. The liberty only seats 5.
I would'nt want to draw the short straw.

huntinhick

forgot to mention that I just bought the daughter a 96 Cherokee so we can split between the two if the whole family goes

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Hey Carl-

If you're a hunter I would suggest going with the 4 X 8. After a successful hunting trip, you have more to bring home than you took (and elk are not easy to pack!). Also, if you're sleeping in it, 8' will be much more comfortable and you'll have room for gear inside with you.

Good luck,
Dennis

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
4 x 8. Actually, I'd go just over 4 x 8.

The extra 2' isn't going to hurt you on the trail (especially the trails you are talking about), and it sure is nice to lay a sheet of plywood flat on the deck when the inevitable Home Depot run happens.

huntinhick

thanks for the input, pretty much confirmed what I was thinking and let me know I was on the right track. I am looking forward to getting started on the trailer in a couple months

carl

m1ashooter

Mine is 4x8 and that makes for a pretty good size. When you start packing it full of stuff that space gets filled quick. I think it's better to have the extra two feet and not need it then not have it and wish you did.

loren85022

Explorer
IMHO: wife+kids+hunting = 4'x8' If you end up dragging it thru some rough spots, just smile and think of everyone sitting at home. Half the fun of owning a trailer is coming up with modification that improve its function next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior