Ford Raptor Build

cbs

Observer
Hi, I am new to the forum and actually stumbled upon this site looking for information about taking a road trip out west to run trails in Colorado, Utah, and Arizona. The information here is fantastic, but right now I am getting overwhelmed. I have a 2011 Ford raptor with a lot of non-performance mods and the following off road mods done:

35" Goodyear MT/R tires
Method race wheels 18"
airaid CAI
Engine tune 5-star
Fox Racing 2.5″ Air Bumps
National rear leaf springs
Front fox racing shocks adjusted to middle perch increases height by 1.5 "
RPG steering Tie rods
Roush exhaust
Rigid 40 " LED light
Fair Trails Enterprises Tuff Jug TJ1R 5 gallon gas can
TREE SAVER WINCH STRAP 10'
American Power Pull 3 Ton Power Puller
VIAIR 450P Automatic Function Portable Compressor
Hi-Lift Jack XT605 60" Hi-Lift X-TREME Jack
Hi-Lift Jack ORB Off-Road Base
2 of Smittybilt 3/4" Black D-Ring
Rubbermaid Action Packer Cargo Box, 48-Gallon
Bubba rope 7/8" x 30' recovery rope
Neiko 2-Inch X 20-Feet recovery strap
M40 Wilderness Survival Kit
M40's 4 Person Survival Kit
Back-country first aid kit (with extensive knowledge how to use it)

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

Any additional advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to purchase a tent in the future, most of the my trips will be with two people. The truck is already heavy and I have been hesitant to add any more skid plates, the payload is also an issue at roughly 900 pounds.

Last edited:

bsl

Hi cbs, I haven't posted in a long time here (shame on me), but I am catching your thread tonite. Did you have a look at my "expedition" Raptor thread (I know, I should have called it "touring" or something similar):
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...aptor-in-action-Ford-F150-Raptor-build-thread
Yours look great (greater!) and I'm impressed by your mods list. My next big trip is getting close, so I' "back in business" to resume my build. I'm interested by the ARB drawers with roller floor and a " serious" water tank from FrontRunner. If you go for the RTTent, your most difficult choice will be to find a rack, what are you considering so far?

Huntersgreen

FSJ Rock
Nice!

tundrashirtpic-1-2.jpg

I have a 2011 as well, but with only 4000 mile on it, i havn't done any mods yet. I like your mud flaps, any info on them? Also how do you like the 5 star?

I saved this pic of a roof rack from a while back. I think its made by a company called tundra, thought it had some real merrit.

BlitzleBlat

Observer
i see another raptor forum guy is on here!

Sweetness! I have been lurking as well, you know to plot/scheme/plan a possible build for my rig as well.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'd get the wheel grabbers for your highlift. Sometimes all you need is to grab a wheel up. A bucket of 3/8" chain and some hooks from Harbor Freight has been handy on my truck. Ripped two GM trucks out of a ditch by thier K member this year.

And remove the tripping boards.

Is that a normal Rapor paint scheme? Looks tough, I've never seen one with a matte looking finish like that.

cbs

Observer
Hi cbs, I haven't posted in a long time here (shame on me), but I am catching your thread tonite. Did you have a look at my "expedition" Raptor thread (I know, I should have called it "touring" or something similar):
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...aptor-in-action-Ford-F150-Raptor-build-thread
Yours look great (greater!) and I'm impressed by your mods list. My next big trip is getting close, so I' "back in business" to resume my build. I'm interested by the ARB drawers with roller floor and a " serious" water tank from FrontRunner. If you go for the RTTent, your most difficult choice will be to find a rack, what are you considering so far?

I just got finished reading through your build, your photos as well as your custom rack are beautiful. My question is can you still open your bakflip? I am going to apologize for my noob question, but why not a tonneau cover tent vs. a rail system? I have the bakflip F1 which they state can support 400 pounds.

I found this website: http://www.tentsontrucks.com/frogi/index.html which has a tent which is similar in concept to what I was thinking, but not the execution since with the short bed, rear folding support would be needed.

tonneaucovertent.jpg

My thought is similar to yours, store supplies in the bed under the tonneau cover, but then deploy the tent on top of the tonneau. I guess this would have to be a custom job. Where are you going on your next big trip? I am starting to plan a trip to hit Canyon de Chelly, Arizona and the Continental Divide Trail or the Kokopelli trail.

cbs

Observer
They are Vortex mud flaps, easy to install and work very well. www.vortexmudguards.com/
The hardware they give are junk. I can't say enough about the 5 star tune. It just feels like a different truck in regards to throttle response. Was one of the best mods and still allows the off-road settings to work the way they where designed. As I have made changes (CAI, new exhaust) Mike at 5-star emailed me updated tunes within half an hour. I recently was back on the stock tune for half a day and as they say, you can never go back.

Love your front bumper, who makes it?

cbs

Observer
i see another raptor forum guy is on here!

Sweetness! I have been lurking as well, you know to plot/scheme/plan a possible build for my rig as well.

I was reading some of BigJ's trip reports and said I want to do that!! Followed one of his links to this site. Any plans yet?

cbs

Observer
I'd get the wheel grabbers for your highlift. Sometimes all you need is to grab a wheel up. A bucket of 3/8" chain and some hooks from Harbor Freight has been handy on my truck. Ripped two GM trucks out of a ditch by thier K member this year.

And remove the tripping boards.

Is that a normal Rapor paint scheme? Looks tough, I've never seen one with a matte looking finish like that.

Thanks for the advice on the wheel grabbers and the Harbor Freight website. In New Jersey the majority of trails are Jeep size or smaller. I put a 3m vinyl wrap to protect the paint and figured might as well change the color. So far I have been able to rub most of the severe scratches out. I think my next purchase is going to be a Pull Pal and tire repair kit.

cbs

Observer
Glad to see another Raptor on here!! How do you have all of that stored in your truck?

Hi Kaiser, I have read a number of your posts on the FRF, you have been a great source of information. I have a bedrug with a bakflip. My recovery gear is stored in a Home Depot 20 gallon power pak, Camping equipment, compressor and odds and ends are in a 48 gallon Rubbermaid Action Packer Cargo Box, and two gear bags. Everything is secured with Highland 10' Retractable Ratchet Tie Downs, Hi jack is mounted on rear of the bed with QuickFist Clamps. I still have plenty of room in the bed and rear seats. I am just starting out with acquiring gear and have yet to do any extended trips. My favorite thing I have purchased so far is this Mini Alcohol Stove. Love simple effective things.

CanStove320.jpg

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Those alcohol stoves are pretty easy to make out of an aluminum can.

One of the guys I work with is a Scoutmaster - he was showing us last week. ;)

bsl

I just got finished reading through your build, your photos as well as your custom rack are beautiful. My question is can you still open your bakflip? I am going to apologize for my noob question, but why not a tonneau cover tent vs. a rail system? I have the bakflip F1 which they state can support 400 pounds.

I found this website: http://www.tentsontrucks.com/frogi/index.html which has a tent which is similar in concept to what I was thinking, but not the execution since with the short bed, rear folding support would be needed.

My thought is similar to yours, store supplies in the bed under the tonneau cover, but then deploy the tent on top of the tonneau. I guess this would have to be a custom job. Where are you going on your next big trip? I am starting to plan a trip to hit Canyon de Chelly, Arizona and the Continental Divide Trail or the Kokopelli trail.

No, I can't open the bakflip (or just a bit), that's pretty annoying indeed :exclaim: I managed to put our camping gear and stuff in containers, which I had to push and pull at every camp. That's why for this year I'm gonna invest in the ARB drawers (I like their roller floor for my fridge, and roller drawer too - I'm planning on installing the longer ones 1m35=53+in.)
Regarding the rack, I investigated a few other solutions, see this post, but ended up with the custom rack as my best answer:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...unting-Options?p=880763&highlight=#post880763

And yes, you should go and visit Canyon de Chelly, you can hire a guide to drive with your own car inside the canyon (at low speed), see by yourself the 2 picts attached...

IMG_0393.jpgIMG_0471.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior