NEW Honda - NC700X

RHINO

Expedition Leader
its not a bad bike for a budget rider, but it cant really be compared to the "other" big adv bikes because this is based on a scooter platform honda has, with a few tweaks, but still a scooter, dont remember the name of it.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I just read the CW article on this bike. Sounds like everyone that has ridden it appreciates it for what it is, even if they don't say they like or dislike it. I admit I looked at it recently because 80% of what I do is commuting and the 80mpg efficiency and 20 liter tank storage seemed appealing. What didn't seem appealing was the rather contrived styling. The price was hard to complain about.

sandalscout

Adventurer
its not a bad bike for a budget rider, but it cant really be compared to the "other" big adv bikes because this is based on a scooter platform honda has, with a few tweaks, but still a scooter, dont remember the name of it.

I read it differently, as in it's a multi-motorcycle frame and engine that's also being used for a maxi-scooter.

Clutch

<---Pass
I just read the CW article on this bike. Sounds like everyone that has ridden it appreciates it for what it is, even if they don't say they like or dislike it. I admit I looked at it recently because 80% of what I do is commuting and the 80mpg efficiency and 20 liter tank storage seemed appealing. What didn't seem appealing was the rather contrived styling. The price was hard to complain about.

It make a great commuter, and a decent mild touring bike too. Hey if it gets more people into the sport, more power to them.

Only wishing Honda would offer more models. I am diggin' their new CRF 450 Dakar bike, now only if they would offer that in a 450-650cc production model...

h3-800x599.jpg

RHINO

Expedition Leader
I read it differently, as in it's a multi-motorcycle frame and engine that's also being used for a maxi-scooter.

i'm not sure thats much different than what i said, but, ok. i think its a neat bike, but i still dont think its really a good comparison to the other big adv bikes out there. for example i really dont thik its going to be near rugged enough to ride like an F800 or tiger 800, not that most of those owners ride to the bikes potential, but thats a different topic.

the new honda is just kinda in its own class i think, and i think that will appeal to alot of folks out there that want something that sits in the shadow of the other big bikes,,, not to mention the price is dang appealing.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
I am diggin' their new CRF 450 Dakar bike, now only if they would offer that in a 450-650cc production model...

yer tellin me, i ride 600-650cc thumpers for a reason and i really wish someone other than the euros would offer up something worth my time in the seat. and heck i dont think they even have anything currently with the TE630 being disco'd.

sandalscout

Adventurer
i'm not sure thats much different than what i said, but, ok.

I think there is a difference. Using a scooter frame to make an ADV bike is much different than using an ADV frame to make a scooter. The former would make for a crappy ADV bike, but the later might just be a crazy overbuilt/robust scooter.

sandalscout

Adventurer
well since the scooter already exists and its almost if not the same bike under the plastic,,,,,, i'll let you connect the dots

have you seen this yet?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQA_7UNTVzPPDzY0FVDvzHvAb-0S3OoUmmdPg2dXmJ3o9PbpT4U

Ah, see, the Honda press I read on Honda's site indicates that the frame was new this year, and designed for the two bikes and the scooter at the same time. I thought that the scooter and the bike are both brand new.

I had seen that picture, It's definitely "underslung" compared to other bikes, but I don't think that's necessarily all bad. The wrap around aspect of the frame explains why there is not a huge backbone run.

That said, you are most likely more in the know that myself. It's a neat looking bike, but not one for me.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
sorry man i edited my reply because i didnt want to seem like i was being confrontational,,, the frame is new for the two bikes, but the scooter has been on the market with a different frame. so i think we are both right, its a robust scooter and a light adv bike, something that i think fills a niche.

as you said, its not for me either but its nice to see it being produced.

sandalscout

Adventurer
sorry man i edited my reply because i didnt want to seem like i was being confrontational,,, the frame is new for the two bikes, but the scooter has been on the market with a different frame. so i think we are both right, its a robust scooter and a light adv bike, something that i think fills a niche.

as you said, its not for me either but its nice to see it being produced.

No worries at all man, I hope I wasn't coming off as such. I think Kermit said it best, "Hey if it gets more people into the sport, more power to them."

watrboy

Observer
I picked mine up today. Studied all I could about it and decided to take the plunge. Rode it a couple of times on demo. Ordered a Kaoko for it and looking at the higher windshield. Checking out all the options and waiting for some in design. Have the winter to ride and think about the add on's. My XR650L will have some company in the garage.
I will keep you posted.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
please do,,, a bike like that in a pricepoint like that is really going to have lots of interest.

Frank

Explorer
It make a great commuter, and a decent mild touring bike too. Hey if it gets more people into the sport, more power to them.

Only wishing Honda would offer more models. I am diggin' their new CRF 450 Dakar bike, now only if they would offer that in a 450-650cc production model...

100% agree. Depending on how you define adventure, the 700 is far from it. It lacks spoked wheels and a 21" front wheel.

Would like to have the 700 for commuting, hell yes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles