92 Subaru Loyale Wagon 4wd: Work in Progress

Alright found this on CL and gave $850 for it. Rough around the edges but over all pretty solid. The suspension is totally shot but I plan on a lift in the future so it will have to be gutted anyway ;) I removed the nasty carpet that had been abused by farm life. Too bad the smell is sticking around I have future plans for that...

billy the kid.jpg

The "TO-DO" list...

*Replace carpet with a complete rubber mat flooring for easy cleaning. Could also double as traction pads in a sticky situation (plan on using thin bulk horse stall mats, that you can buy by the foot at a farm supply store)

* Mount my almost finished roof basket

IMG_0143[1].JPG

* Construct a home made awning to go on the side of the basket. Or I was looking at the texsport spinnaker car shade. http://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Spin...ICZ6/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1332703627&sr=8-7

*Wire some off road lights to the basket.
*Need to find some 14" peugeot rims so that I can mount some good all-terrains.
*Some day I would like to convert it to a Dual Range transmission to replace the push button.

Attachments

• IMG_0127[1].JPG
    IMG_0127[1].JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 8

Baloo

"The Bear Necessities"
I love those cars! I worked at a Subaru dealer for a few years as a service tech. Great cars, that boxer engine will last forever if you take care of em. Change that timing belt!

Dodger

I love those cars! I worked at a Subaru dealer for a few years as a service tech. Great cars, that boxer engine will last forever if you take care of em. Change that timing belt!

Dodger
Thanks, It seems like the basics were taken care of. Although I dont know why the last owner put new tires on it while the suspension was literally toast, front tires are almost wasted on the sides. But the good news is, the head gaskets and timing belt were replaced just before I bought it. :smiley_drive:

CMiller

Adventurer
These cars have a ton of potential with some basic prep. I've built one up over the years as a very capable and reliable overland vehicle. Check out my write up here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=103355 The write up has a TON of info on just about anything one could do to an EA82 Subaru with pictures, links to products, and suggestions. If you have any questions I'd be happy to help! Plus we're in the same state so maybe I'll see you on the trail sometime.

DUDE! I seriously have been worshiping your car for the last few weeks :bowdown: it is the background on my laptop lol. Funny enough i showed my dad the pic of your car, a few days later he called me and said. Hey I think I was driving behind that subaru you showed me a picture of. I was like :Wow1: no way! Heck we are only a few miles apart. im in newberg.

Made more progress today :)

Installed a new flooring from rubber outdoor mats.
Assembled the roof basket and mounts.
Painted the basket with some non-skid paint.
And I got some new window art.

IMG_0185[1].JPGIMG_0208[1].JPGIMG_0211[1].JPGIMG_0214[1].JPGIMG_0212[1].JPG

Last edited:
Almost forgot...this car when I got it had no heat whatsoever. Driving in the cold not only was uncomfortable, but my defroster was ultimately ineffective. (scary) To resolve the issue, we decided to replace the thermostat. Better to start with the small, cheap parts than start tearing out the heater core right away. Anyway off to napa, and $8.99 later brand new .stat. along with some anti-freeze.

Get back home and begin draining the coolant...
wait awhile
Finally it stopped running, and so we began to unbolt the thermostat housing, but what we found was a shocker....can you see the problem????

IMG_0181[1].JPG

...Thats right there was NO THERMOSTAT! The last owner simply silicone'd the groove so that it would not leak.

So after that discovery, we removed all the silicone and old gasket replaced the thermostat bolted it up, and started the long dull process of bleeding the cooling system.

Then walla! I have heat :victory:

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi...what 14" All Terrains are available to you?

I am looking for some new tyres for mine....I have 27 x 8.50 x 14" Hankoook RT01's on there now which have been excellent but unfortunately they aren't on the market here anymore...found some nice Toyo "Open Country" in the same size but they look nothing like the Hankooks. All the Suby guys around here use Nakang's but I never liked them. Just thought I'd ask.....someone told me that in the USA you can buy Super Swampers to suit 14's on a Subaru . They sound OK.

Regards John.

Jrally

Adventurer
General Grabber AT2s, I have them on my Celica, love them, wearing well, good on and off road performance for the weight of my Expo car.

-Jon

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I've heard of people putting the BFG Allterrain kos on a subie, Genenral Grabber at2'a and firestone destinations' could all fit with a reasonable amount of lift.

Wow...you can get a BFG in 14"!! None of these are available to us here. That's the problem....very , very limited in a 14" offroad pattern. The RT01's that used to be available are an exact BFG / MT copy but wish I still had access or a BFG would be even better. Thanks.

Sorry to take your thread offtrack.

CMiller

Adventurer
I'm currently running the BFG AT's on 14" Peugeot wheels. They have been everywhere from lava fields to mud, snow and sand. I air down all of the time and have never had a flat even though I still carry 2 full size spare BFG ATs just in case. Best tires I've ever owned! I highly recommend them.

IMG_5795.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles