A new trailer for me.

m1ashooter

I was recently given an old homemade camping type trailer. It is an expedition trailer but when the guy built it he didn't know there was such a thing as "expedition trailers". He just wanted something to take hunting that would hold his camping gear. Fast forward 15 years or so and I'm telling him how I would love to have a trailer for my stuff and he tells me I can have his but it needs some work. It was sitting under a tree at his dad's house when I picked it up.

This is how it looked once I finally got it home after replacing the tires that blew out a couple miles down the road.
exp_trailer (1).jpg

exp_trailer.jpg

It looked pretty rough but I cleaned it real good and painted the rack and the bottom black part with undercoating paint.
exp_trailer (2).jpg

exp_trailer (4).jpg

exp_trailer (6).jpg

I replaced the carpet on the inside also. Over the next two weeks I'm putting on a new axle with 6 lug hubs to match my Toyota 4Runner. I will also be repainting the white part, lifting it a little bit, and adding some flat fenders for built in "shelves" when it is set up.
exp_trailer (3).jpg

m1ashooter

The only sleeping provisions could be the driver side of the trailer which has the door on the back. That space goes all the way to the front so it measures 8' long and 2' wide. That would be only used in case of really bad weather like hail or whatever. I'm undecided if I want to get a roof top tent or just buy a nice ground tent or even just sleep in the back of the 4runner.

The only height I would add would be putting the axle underneath the springs instead of inside them. That would add only 3-4". Other than that you are correct it is pretty much the same height as the 4runner. Thanks for checking it out.

m1ashooter

It pretty much is ready to go except for the tires. I got them for free from the local lake mechanic who is a friend of mine. He said he didn't have the heart to charge me cuz they were in such bad shape. lol They came off a boat trailer that had been sitting around for a while. They at least got me home. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to arrange my camping stuff and make my list of things I need to get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles