Thread: Range rover classic vs discovery

It really comes down to preference. I think there is more support for the discos but I prefer the cabin of the range rover. My first disco was a 97 and I loved it. But all rovers have their quirks. If I could do it again I'd get an 80's range, but it and the D1 are relatively easy to work on if you have basic mechanical knowledge.
    2013 Toyota Land Cruiser
    www.dirtroadtrip.com
    Scratching the itch for off-road adventure one weekend, one vacation at a time, taking our Toyota trucks well off the beaten path one day and driving them to work the next!

Generally speaking range rovers are one generation ahead of discoverys in electronic complication , as all the goodies as they are developed go to flagship model (Range Rover) first same as with engines , more powerful to Rangerover first . HTSH

Quote Originally Posted by dcwhybrew View Post
    Still butt hurt over your purchase?...LOL j/k
    Haha you bet! 2 months later, still haven't driven it. Haven't been able to reach the love it stage yet.

Tough call! Between the wife and I we have both. I find pros/cons to either. When it comes to camping I love my old tailgate over her swing out door. When loading heavy items I prefer her swing open door. There is more head room in the Disco but I prefer the set up of my RRC when behind the wheel. Another item is when/if you lift it. I can still reach needed items on my RRC fairly well. The discos with the higher roofline make that harder, but I am also only 5'8". I have had far less troubles with the RRC and it has a lot more miles because of that. Both are friendly to work on compared to many other vehicles out there. If you go Disco the flat hood can cause some glare issues more than the RRC (at least for me) but that is easily taken care of, on either. The RRC also has more weight lower, I think about that when off camber. While not a massive difference it is a comfort level for me. Depending what era Disco you go with can make a difference on where some of the rear lights are. While we have not broken them yet (knock on wood) I often worry about the lights in her rear bumper.

Hopefully my ramblings (sorry) made some sense or helped in some way!
    '92 Range Rover
    '93 Range Rover LWB
    '71 Mercedes 220 Diesel - The daily Beast

I say if you go with a disco: 94-95 would be the year to go!!
    Discovery I 1995 with 176,XXX
    New oil pump, timing chain, fan clutch and radiator, just changed fluid in transfer case & transmission... NO LEAKS! No knocking!!!!

What do you intend to do with this truck? Both trucks are equally huge piles of **** and awesome at the same time. Its a 15 year old vehicle what do you expect?
    poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth

95 NAS D90 SW
    91 RRC Hunter
    97 CIVIC

Ultimately, the DI has more space and is more practical, but the RRC is more stylish and nicer to drive. It really comes down to how you plan to use it.
    It's not broken, it's British!

www.nickslandrover.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Snagger View Post
    Ultimately, the DI has more space and is more practical, but the RRC is more stylish and nicer to drive. It really comes down to how you plan to use it.
    I second this appraisal. Somehow for me there is a special something about the Range Rover Classic that is hard to put my finger on. . . Along with the Series and Defender it just seems to embody everything that defines Land Rover and British heritage.

BTW: I checked your website out, Nick, and really enjoyed it. I'm thinking of building a site like this chronicling my Rover and Jaguar journeys.

David
    "The most unreliable car in the world is the most reliable car in the world." -Jeremy Clarkson

"Adventure starts when everything goes wrong." -Yvon Chouinard

Current:
    Range Rover Classic ('89)
    Jeep KJ CRD ('06)

Previous:
    Discovery II ('99)
    2x Range Rover Classic ('89 & '92)
    3x Discovery I ('95, '96, '97)
    Jeep J20 ('88)
    Jeep CJ5 ('79)
    Jeep KJ ('05)
    Mitsubishi Montero ('96)
    2x Toyota Hi-lux ('88 & '91)
    2x Jeep XJ ('84 & '91)

Quote Originally Posted by oryxexpeditions View Post
    I second this appraisal. Somehow for me there is a special something about the Range Rover Classic that is hard to put my finger on. . . Along with the Series and Defender it just seems to embody everything that defines Land Rover and British heritage.

BTW: I checked your website out, Nick, and really enjoyed it. I'm thinking of building a site like this chronicling my Rover and Jaguar journeys.

David
    Sorry to go off topic, but thanks, David. I'm remodelling the site at the moment, and it'll be more cleanly divided into the three vehicles with subsections for each the way it current is set up for one. I plan to add some other features too, like reviews, links and so on. I might even do some video tutorials if I can work out how...

Anyway, back on topic, the DI is sort of classic, but the RRC is undeniably so. Curiously, though, the RRC doesn't look dated, unlike the DI - it's such a classic that it's timeless.
    It's not broken, it's British!

www.nickslandrover.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Snagger View Post
    Curiously, though, the RRC doesn't look dated, unlike the DI - it's such a classic that it's timeless.

Yes. Apparently, it's the only vehicle ever to be displayed at the Louvre as art. . .
    "The most unreliable car in the world is the most reliable car in the world." -Jeremy Clarkson

"Adventure starts when everything goes wrong." -Yvon Chouinard

Current:
    Range Rover Classic ('89)
    Jeep KJ CRD ('06)

Previous:
    Discovery II ('99)
    2x Range Rover Classic ('89 & '92)
    3x Discovery I ('95, '96, '97)
    Jeep J20 ('88)
    Jeep CJ5 ('79)
    Jeep KJ ('05)
    Mitsubishi Montero ('96)