Range rover classic vs discovery

I'm considering getting another older land rover.

Never owning a range rover I'm interested. My friend however had a 98 land rover the computer system was horrible. Are the classics way more basic? And how are they different from 98 discoverys

David Harris

Expedition Leader
96-04 Discos have a much more sophisticated engine management system than the 95 and earlier Rovers, whether Disco or Rangie. I have owned both a 96 and 95 Disco, as well as a 92 Rangie. Between the 96 and the others, I had many more electrical problems with the 96. From sensors to electric windows, to interior lights, you name it, the major problem with the 96 was the electrics. Except for a distributor in the Rangie, I have had zero electrical problems on the others. I don't know if this was just my particular 96, or what, but I definitely saw a difference. Without a doubt the 95 and earlier vehicles with a distributor instead of the later coil packs are much more simple vehicles in terms of electronics.

David

Last edited:

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
www.rangerovers.net

That site will tell you everything you wanted to know about the different Range Rover generations and model year changes among them.

Bottom line for Range Rover Classics (87-95), stay away from the ones that have air suspension. Though the aftermarket parts to fix them are more readily available from Arnott and they are cheaper.

Bluefish

I have a 95 Discovery with 212k miles on it. I've had it a few months with no (real) problems, and the previous owner said the same. So far the only troubles I've had are a worn TPS sensor and one time I soaked the coil and it wouldn't start again for about half an hour. With the worn TPS it will have the hiccups at partial throttle, solution is to go faster. At 212k miles nothing has been rebuilt and it leaks everything. It's always been serviced and kept full of fluids and it runs great!

REDROVER

Explorer
how tall are you? if u are over 5.10 forget the disco, classic has much more leg room, as far as passenger side of the disco 2 i cant be over 5.6 ans seat longer than 20 min comfortably besides that they are all good .

i like simple trucks so, 87 to 89 classic or early disco is my choice , but then again i am crazy so i can be wrong

ERIC

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
how tall are you? if u are over 5.10 forget the disco, classic has much more leg room, as far as passenger side of the disco 2 i cant be over 5.6 ans seat longer than 20 min comfortably besides that they are all good .

i like simple trucks so, 87 to 89 classic or early disco is my choice , but then again i am crazy so i can be wrong

ERIC

Of course if you are close to 6'0, you'll likely be uncomfortable in the RRC. They have less head room and their seating positions are awkward. I liked the disco1 better because my head didn't hit the damn ceiling like my 91 RR, and I didn't have to tilt my seat back as far as I did in the RR.

RangeBrover

Explorer
It really comes down to preference. I think there is more support for the discos but I prefer the cabin of the range rover. My first disco was a 97 and I loved it. But all rovers have their quirks. If I could do it again I'd get an 80's range, but it and the D1 are relatively easy to work on if you have basic mechanical knowledge.

tacr2man

Adventurer
Generally speaking range rovers are one generation ahead of discoverys in electronic complication , as all the goodies as they are developed go to flagship model (Range Rover) first same as with engines , more powerful to Rangerover first . HTSH

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Tough call! Between the wife and I we have both. I find pros/cons to either. When it comes to camping I love my old tailgate over her swing out door. When loading heavy items I prefer her swing open door. There is more head room in the Disco but I prefer the set up of my RRC when behind the wheel. Another item is when/if you lift it. I can still reach needed items on my RRC fairly well. The discos with the higher roofline make that harder, but I am also only 5'8". I have had far less troubles with the RRC and it has a lot more miles because of that. Both are friendly to work on compared to many other vehicles out there. If you go Disco the flat hood can cause some glare issues more than the RRC (at least for me) but that is easily taken care of, on either. The RRC also has more weight lower, I think about that when off camber. While not a massive difference it is a comfort level for me. Depending what era Disco you go with can make a difference on where some of the rear lights are. While we have not broken them yet (knock on wood) I often worry about the lights in her rear bumper.

Hopefully my ramblings (sorry) made some sense or helped in some way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles