Trailer Bounce

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
So I recently finished my trailer (minus getting fenders on it) and took it out for a quick test drive. It rides fine at most speeds but from 30-40 its got a bad bounce to the point where it shakes the truck quite a bit. Its got a 3500lb axle and running h3 rims with 33" tires. I have to bring it in to balance the tires this week though I assume when Big-o-tire put them on they did that already. Has anyone encountered this problem before? Any possible solutions or problems you would see? I still have the old leaf springs on it as well. Thanks for your help in advance.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
I havent weighted it down yet. Im hoping that could solve it but I havent had the chance to try as I dont have fenders for the trailer yet and cant take it out. If it doesnt help I will definitely try looking at new springs thanks!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Put weight on it before anything else. Pretty much every trailer out there bounces around a bit when it's empty.

Shocks help - but if you're springs are too stiff for the application, you may end up needing a softer set.

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Just to chime in: put weight in it, and also check your tire pressure. All it needs is one road imperfection to get the axle going; with an unweighted axle and hard tire, it just keeps going.

TacoDell

Adventurer
Just to chime in: put weight in it, and also check your tire pressure. All it needs is one road imperfection to get the axle going; with an unweighted axle and hard tire, it just keeps going.
^ I'll add... Lower the tire pressure when unladen
...most probably lower then anyone might think... especially with over sized tires

Tire pressure plays a huge roll... when it comes to trailers JMO

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
My tire trailers are run at 15psi on the street and 5-6 on the trail, they ride smooth as can be even without balancing, tires are 31x10.50 mounted on 15x7 aluminum wheels. I also run a 3500lb axle but with a 1500lb spring.

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
I highly recommend putting shocks on it. Loaded or unloaded, it will make a better difference in the handling. Shocks are cheap (brand new pair for around $30-40) and take very little work to make attaching points on a trailer

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Hey thank you guys so much. Tomorrow morning Im going to the welding shop to get fenders made then after that to balance the tires and reduce pressure. I guess 15-20 PSI? Ill weight it down with the normal load ill be running in it and go from there. Ill let you all know what happens tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for all your help everyone!

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Well I aired down balanced the tires and put a load in the front and it rode smooth as glass. Thanks for the help everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94