Finally got some pictures taken today... just wanted to share...

kd0ezq

Ive had this for a couple of months, but finally got some pictures taken today, so I thought I would share.

I found this 2001 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 at a dealer locally. It is pretty high mileage, but runs great. It has 271k on the clock.

suburban 3-4 view.jpgsuburban side view.jpg

Ive added the Easley grille guard, painted the factory flares, and put a set of Treadwright Mud Dogs on it. I've also installed a JVC aftermarket stereo, and my Kenwood Dual band and 900mhz Ham rigs and a Uniden Bearcat Digital scanner.

More upgrades coming, including a second battery, new wheels, and start replacing some wear items.

Thanks for all the help!

Tim B.
KD0EZQ

kd0ezq

From front to back...

Larsen 5db 800mhz antenna for the Uniden BCD396XT Digital Scanner

Larsen 5db 900mhz antenna for the Kenwood TK-931HD 900mhz Ham radio

Larsen NMO2/70 antenna for the Kenwood TM-D710 Dual band 2m/440 Ham radio hooked up to a Garmin Nuvi GPS for APRS

Larsen NMO220 antenna for the Alinco DR-235 220mhz ham radio.

As you can tell, I am a Ham radio operator with my General ticket, and a SkyWarn Storm Spotter.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the site Kd! I cant wait to see pics of your rig out in some 4by4 country. Do you have any plans for modifications?:)

Ryan1975

Observer
From front to back...

Larsen 5db 800mhz antenna for the Uniden BCD396XT Digital Scanner

Larsen 5db 900mhz antenna for the Kenwood TK-931HD 900mhz Ham radio

Larsen NMO2/70 antenna for the Kenwood TM-D710 Dual band 2m/440 Ham radio hooked up to a Garmin Nuvi GPS for APRS

Larsen NMO220 antenna for the Alinco DR-235 220mhz ham radio.

As you can tell, I am a Ham radio operator with my General ticket, and a SkyWarn Storm Spotter.

You now have my complete attention. Storm chasing sounds like a lot of fun and seems like something I'd like to get into at least passively when I move to Kansas this July. I've got a Yaesu 8900-R and a few handhelds. Anywhere in particular that I should look for information on storm chasing?

Cody1771

Explorer
nice looking truck, just a word to the wise those brush guards are nice for small stuff but if you get in a fender bender or hit anything more than a small branch they tend to end up being a "damage mulitplier". i'd like to see some interior pics of your radio setup :D

kd0ezq

Thank you for the replies... Im very proud of this truck!

First, let me clarify something, and perhaps I stated it wrong...I am a Storm Spotter, not a storm chaser. Chasers are what Reed Timmer does on TV, we spot as part of out local HAM group which is affiliated with the County Emergency Management Coordinator, and the National Weather Service.

Here the NWS put on Storm Spotter training every spring. I would recommend attending as many of these as you can, and once you get here, just ask most any HAM, we all spot...

As far as further upgrades, I am going to be replacing the stock shocks with Rancho or Bilstein shocks, putting in new front hub assemblies, new Heavy Duty Tie Rods, and new brakes later this month. I also am on the Hunt for the full bumper replacement for the front and rear. I want to put the Ford Lift Keys and Rear spacers in too. I also want to get rid of the factory wheels.

Probably the next addons include a HF rig and stereo upgrade also. I am going to put in a double Din head unit, and new speakers all the way around.

I just took out the middle jump seat and put in a center console out of a '06, I've put the dual band and the scanner in there already, and am waiting for some more time to finish the install.

kd0ezq

Also, the grille guard is an Easley, which is made by Wilson Trailer, it is on par with a RanchHand. The grille guard weighs in at 125 pounds. It will hold up to more than a branch...

98dango

Expedition Leader
Love the truck but the grill guard still has leverage working at it. Working in the auto aftermarket most of my life as an installer they all suck. They mount to low and the lower brackets bent. But that one is better than the cheap one thats on my ladys tahoe.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
...further upgrades, I am going to be replacing the stock shocks with Rancho or Bilstein shocks, putting in new front hub assemblies, new Heavy Duty Tie Rods, and new brakes later this month. I also am on the Hunt for the full bumper replacement for the front and rear. I want to put the Ford Lift Keys and Rear spacers in too. I also want to get rid of the factory wheels...
Go Bilstein for a truly lifetime shock. Rides nice on the road and great performance offroad. Ranco is cheaper, but you will be looking for a new set next year.
Consider the tie-rod sleeves. Less expensive and then you can still use OEM replacemant parts in the future. Those will be less expensive and availability better.

ssleeve.JPG

Go to 17" wheels or larger to make room the the GMT900 brake upgrade.

partz.JPG

The best performance upgrade on mine to date. More on that here: BLT Offroad Avalanche

Check out my fix for the burned out DRL too. I suspect you might find another mod or two that you might like.

Good look'n 'burb!

TKSC01

Adventurer
Welcome to the Suburban Club!!

Welcome man, great truck. I just joined the Sububran club myself. Ihad a lifetime Ford Bronco addiction formly established until I found my 97 Burb. Now I'm hooked!!!

kd0ezq

Thank you again guys. I also forgot to add that I just added the factory aux battery tray and the factory cables for the 2nd battery. Just today I found a used K&N FIPK and TB Spacer on our local Craigslist. I found a complete set of Husky Liners on Friday.

HenryJ, I have already found your site, and I love it... Got plans for more of your upgrades in the future!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior