Spacer Lifts?

mightymike

Adventurer
What are your thoughts on a spacer lift kit as an affordable short term method to be able to fit taller tires and increase ground clearance to the chassis? Am I right to think that any lift, spacer or springs, would also increase approach and departure angles?

If I am able to purchase a new truck in the near future the budget might allow a good set of BFG AT’s but not a set of springs and shocks. If I can get some good tires I would want to get them in the tallest size possible/practical. When the stock shocks were worn out I would replace the shocks and springs at the same time.

I’m not talking about an extreme lift, only 2.5” in order to be able to fit 33” tires on a new Tundra (still dreaming….) Stock size is 275/65R 18, roughly a 31.9” tire. (I do realize that only nets me one-half inch of extra ground clearance to the diffs.)

I had a 2” “budget boost” on my Rubicon Unlimited and did not see any ill effects and I took that on far more challenging trails than I ever plan to take a new truck, because it is a truck and not a Jeep! This was a spacer lift with new shocks and I did not like the stiffer shocks. I do like the stock ride of the Tundra TRD.

This truck will be driven to work 2-3 times a week and used for hunting, fishing and camping trips. I never envision doing anything tougher than the Alpine Loop Trail, which were did in a stock rental SUV this summer. I hop a few drainage ditches and ride on tractor trails fairly often, so a few extra inches would the frame from dragging as often and risking snagging a brake line or cable, etc.

Does anyone have a Toy Tec spacer lift?

BTW-ARB already lists a front bumper and air locker for the '07 Tundra. No part number or pics yet, but possibly by the fall.

Thanks-

Nothing wrong with a spacer lift, as long as it doesn't overextend your front suspension (ball joints in particular), and you bear in mind that the largest tire you can fit for offroad work is the largest that you can still turn when the suspension is compressed.

Otherwise, you'll find you have to go straight over the obstacles, and turn before or after. Kinda awkward :p but I think we've all been there at some point.

-Sean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles