Iveco 4x4 Daily

Amesz00

Adventurer
BTW Not sure where that rumour about 24 forward gears came from but this one has 3 x 6 which is more than enough. Let's put it this way ...you could climb a wall .....or loose your licence VERY quickly.

um dont forget how you work out gears, each box has to be multiplied individually, so its not 6x3 (18), its 6x2x2 (the splitter box x low ratio box) which is 24.

still waiting on skippers to bring their one round for us to drool over... hey did your one have XZLs on it? love to try one with some good tyres, skippers one just had 9.5r17.5s..

I'm interested to know what length tray the dual cab will accommodate, the euro spec sheet indicates a maximum of 2500mm but I wondered if this was just a legal limit over there.

i'd say it would be like the unimog specs, the overhang they recommend is like 1000.. real short.. i doubt that 2500 would be legal max body in europe either, because they have huge overhang compared to here (think its about 75% of WB..)

Andrew

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
um dont forget how you work out gears, each box has to be multiplied individually, so its not 6x3 (18), its 6x2x2 (the splitter box x low ratio box) which is 24.

Hey Andrew,

Sorry, I still don't get it. I've read the book (finally. typical male. read the destructions after the fact) which states 24 ratios , "6+6 ratios with the normal gears and 6+6 with the low gears". In the book the normal gears are called the "half " gears" but I STILL don't get it. The half gear ratios are 1:1 & 1:1.3 and the low gear ratios are 1:1 and 1:3.........doh!!! talk about a brain fade. I was thinking it was simply 1:1 or 1:1.3 or :1:3. Of course I get it now. So it's 6 x (1:1 x 1:1) + 6 x (1:1 x 1:3) + 6 x (1:1.3 x 1:1) + 6 x (1:1.3 x 1:3) ....aarrgghh. My brain hurts.

And it's on 17.5's but our tyre placard covers XZL's and hopefully the final Australian delivered version does too.

Hi Anthony. This one is a single cab.

Regards John.

Last edited:

Amesz00

Adventurer
....doh!!! talk about a brain fade. I was thinking it was simply 1:1 or 1:1.3 or :1:3. Of course I get it now. So it's 6 x (1:1 x 1:1) + 6 x (1:1 x 1:3) + 6 x (1:1.3 x 1:1) + 6 x (1:1.3 x 1:3) ....aarrgghh. My brain hurts.

umm yea looks about right.. kinda think of it like a probability- ie if you had 2, 6 side dice, the possible combinations arent 6x2, its 6x6 (ignoring that the dice have the same numbers on them).

And it's on 17.5's but our placard covers XZL's too. Hopefully the final Australian delivered version does too.

haha i was just having some wild thoughts.. those 1100r16 XLs on my green truck would go reeaalll nice on a daily.. thing would be unstoppable. i dont think there are many tyres that outperform those XLs on dirt/muddy terrain.. i just wish we had the terrain in WA for me to justify their aggressiveness...

Andrew

Witchdoctor Oz

Adventurer
I think the single cab with seating in the camper with engeneered seat belts will be a big winner for the private market, or just a real work ute that can carry a load :ylsmoke:

I'm interested to know how it goes over a long run.

David

whatcharterboat

haha i was just having some wild thoughts.. those 1100r16 XLs on my green truck would go reeaalll nice on a daily.. thing would be unstoppable. i dont think there are many tyres that outperform those XLs on dirt/muddy terrain.. i just wish we had the terrain in WA for me to justify their aggressiveness...

Yeah Andrew....rolled an XZL up alongside tonight. As you can see...much tougher.

ivecoxzl.jpg

whatcharterboat

So it's 6 x (1:1 x 1:1) + 6 x (1:1 x 1:3) + 6 x (1:1.3 x 1:1) + 6 x (1:1.3 x 1:3)

So that should be transfer ratios of 1:1 or 1.3:1 or 3:1 or 3.9:1 , right??

Anyway, I started to use the half gears tonight and can see why they'd be very handy particulary if you were loaded heavy and hauling up a hill or even cruising in soft sand. The "half" gears are on a long lever that's easy enough to grab in a hurry. The other "low" gear lever is much closer to the floor.

BTW .... It was great on the highway haul this morning up to Maryborough and back.

Last edited:

Amesz00

Adventurer
So that should be transfer ratios of 1:1 or 1.3:1 or 3:1 or 3.9:1 , right??

yep. wait on, just looked up the actual ratios. splitter is 1 or 1.24, low ratio is 1 or 3.12. so that gives 1:1, 1.24:1, 3.12:1 or a crazy 3.87.. 1st gear is 5.37 and axle ratio is 4.87... so to those of us that thought a canter had decent low gearing, this thing is close to double.. awesome! works out at 101:1.........

heres the spec sheet i found

http://web.iveco.com/finland/collec..._Euro_5_EEV/55S17W_Chassis_Cab_Euro_5_EEV.pdf

rolled an XZL up alongside tonight. As you can see...much tougher.

haha yea does look alot better. have to give it bout 2" height over the 17.5s??

Andrew

1Engine

Observer
yea they do seem nice and comfy ay. only real dissapointment for me (though its not really a real dissapointment..) was with the stick layout, as shown in your pic, it would be hard to use the 1.3:1 as a splitter on the fly. hmm, nah i guess you could still. just have to be quick.

Andrew

Hey Andrew,
You may be a bit young to know about the B model Mack, That was a gearbox combination to get your head around while driving on dirt roads with a load of logs on.
Check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjJ8n1aQSfw&feature=related

blackduck

Explorer
great link
ive only ever heard of the twin stick shift, never actually seen one in action
kinda makes driving a ranger or spicer a piece of cake
I particularly like the one arm through the wheel both hands on the gear shifts method
well done

whatcharterboat

Hi Chip,

Those frame rails are the skinniest I've seen on a truck with a 2500kg / 5500 lb cargo capacity! Maybe their flexing is part of the suspension design, sort of like a Unimog backbone frame.

Must be a bad photo. The frame rails are not thin at all , in fact I would class it as a rigid chassis with really solid tube cross members.

I never put the verniers on it but I'd say it was 4 mm box section at least.

They are really sweet to drive offroad and on the highway. More like driving in a big van.

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Glad to hear I'm wrong. Lance's photo made the frame look like a tube buggy chassis!

Yeah but the downside is they'll hold mud and sand and will be a pain to extend. If they were to bring out an optional 3800mm wheelbase, I'd be happier still. We've already been looking at quite a few different body designs and offroad modifications for them .

BTW hope you're doing OK. Haven't spoken for ages.

Regards John

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles