Iveco 4x4 Daily

Amesz00

Adventurer
Hey Andrew,
You may be a bit young to know about the B model Mack, That was a gearbox combination to get your head around while driving on dirt roads with a load of logs on.
Check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjJ8n1aQSfw&feature=related

cheers for that :) i have heard of them, but yea little young to have seen any in action. they were non-synchro as well werent they? (hmm i dont think the synchromesh was even invented then..) that would make things interesting.

Must be a bad photo. The frame rails are not thin at all , in fact I would class it as a rigid chassis with really solid tube cross members.
I never put the verniers on it but I'd say it was 4 mm box section at least.

agreed- the rails arent very big, but quite thick. id say (offhand) 5, maybe even 6mm thick. looks lots more solid than previous canter chassis'.
spoke again to the WA iveco agent the other day, he said ADR had all gone though. they are looking at bringing models in for the 2013 market year, with a production run starting sept (i think?). the final GVM is at 5200kg, due to some braking issue for ADR. little bit of a dissapointment there for possible camper builds, but should still be ok.
XZLs are a 2.5k option, and something about speed limiting for the offroad tyres.. the XZL speed rating is 110, so thats probly what it is. believe me even 110km/h speed limiting is a major pain in the gregory peck when your trying to overtake a 50m long truck doing 105 itself...
Andrew

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
agreed- the rails arent very big, but quite thick. id say (offhand) 5, maybe even 6mm thick. looks lots more solid than previous canter chassis'.

Yeah.....sounds about right. They look powder coated too...either that or it was really thick grey paint!!!

spoke again to the WA iveco agent the other day, he said ADR had all gone though. they are looking at bringing models in for the 2013 market year, with a production run starting sept (i think?). the final GVM is at 5200kg, due to some braking issue for ADR. little bit of a dissapointment there for possible camper builds, but should still be ok.

Probably a few rumours floating around but we were told the same 5.2T for the 3 in the country now but they obviously understand the market here and would be desperately attempting to sort whatever issues there were (if it was brakes) in order to get the final GVM rating up by a few more hundred kilos. Ours was de-rated to 4.5 T for now. I can't imagine what braking issue they would have had????? Being AWD it's pretty hard to lock up a wheel.

Maybe it was an axle load rating issue that simply needs more data to be clarified ????

XZLs are a 2.5k option, and something about speed limiting for the offroad tyres.. the XZL speed rating is 110, so thats probly what it is. believe me even 110km/h speed limiting is a major pain in the gregory peck when your trying to overtake a 50m long truck doing 105 itself...
Andrew

Sounds right too. They'll spin up a long way over 110k's as they are with the 17's on.

Last edited:

Amesz00

Adventurer
Yeah.....sounds about right. They look powder coated too...either that or it was really thick grey paint!!!

yer too right. i thought that double return design is very interesting, must be very strong. would make it a bit of a prick to clean out though i would have thought?? maybe thats why its painted so thick...

Maybe it was an axle load rating issue that simply needs more data to be clarified ????

hmm, not too sure. craig was fairly definitive in telling me it was a ADR braking compliance issue. though if thats the case how would they get away with the 37" XZLs i wonder, being they have about 2" extra radius.

Probably a few rumours floating around but we were told the same 5.2T for the 3 in the country now but they obviously understand the market here and would be desperately attempting to sort whatever issues there were (if it was brakes) in order to get the final GVM rating up by a few more hundred kilos. Ours was de-rated to 4.5 T for now. I can't imagine what braking issue they would have had????? Being AWD it's pretty hard to lock up a wheel.

sorry, i dont quite see that. its a (open) torque splitting diff, under extreme braking i think you can still lock up one wheel/one axle? ie its not like the axles are locked together as in 4wd.
but yea its good that there is substantial interest being shown, i agree you would think they would try to get it to 5.5t.
Andrew

whatcharterboat

hmm, not too sure. craig was fairly definitive in telling me it was a ADR braking compliance issue. though if thats the case how would they get away with the 37" XZLs[/U] i wonder, being they have about 2" extra radius.

Exactly why I think it will be something else.

sorry, i dont quite see that. its a (open) torque splitting diff, under extreme braking i think you can still lock up one wheel/one axle? ie its not like the axles are locked together as in 4wd.

My experience with AWD has always left me feeling that the braking is more even. Maybe that's all in my head!!!! Haha.

but yea its good that there is substantial interest being shown, i agree you would think they would try to get it to 5.5t.

Yep.

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Just had a lend of this for a few days to check it out.

It,s the latest Eurocargo. 250hp, 6 speed manual box, Adblue, 90kph speed limited on the XZL's, parabolics all round, 15ton GVM, difflocks and only about twice the price of a Canter which is obviously alot less than a Mog.

iveco7.jpg

iveco6.jpg

iveco5.jpg

iveco4.jpg

You can see the comparison in size here to a Canter on singles and parabolics.

iveco3.jpg

Iveco2.jpg

Iveco1.jpg

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
We'd love to hear more of your thoughts about the Eurocargo, particularly compared to similar Isuzu and Hino models!

whatcharterboat

Hi Chip.....How are you? Long time......If I get to SEMA this year it would be great to meet.

Re: the Iveco Eurocargo

I only got a 20 minute drive and a short blast up in the bush and across a couple of drains so I can't say that I really got to know it that well but......the first thing that is instantly noticeable over the Japanese trucks is the extra 50hp and I'm sure this would be even more obvious in the soft stuff or a steep uphill climb.

One of the other guys at work thought that the gearbox was a bit notchy but I didn't find that at all and really liked the shifter location on the dashboard just like the Daily and the Fuso FG's. The brakes were good and I quess they need to be if the truck is rated at 15ton GVM compared to the Hino and Isuzu rated at only 13ton.

The cab is tiny......probably only the size of the FG or Isuzu NPS or maybe even smaller whereas the Hino and big Isuzu are much wider and even have enough room for a bunk behind the seats.

The standard fuel tank was a little on the small size too but I'm sure that wouldn't be a deal breaker for anyone buying one for expedition style use as all of these trucks would require a couple of 200litre tanks at a minmum. i'd be keen to get some fuel consmption figures too and running Adblue from what I've heard returns better figures than EGR setups.

The single wheel setup is really interesting and is done exactly the same way we do ours with one wheel facing in over the brake drum at the front and the rear facing outwards. The offsets should run so the tack is the same front to back I guess. The big XZL's are a great choice of tyre for it of course.

I like the suspension better than the Japanese trucks .....believe it or not my boss had lunch today with the guy who manufactures the paraolics for the Iveco, they've been friends for years.....anyway they're quite substantial and offer plenty of movement without sacrificing load carrying capability....I reckon you could possibly drop a leaf out if you only intended to fit a lighteweigt camper body.

One limiting factor for some maybe the wheelbase......3900mm standard with a maximum allowable of 4500mm after extension....most truck can be extended out further but that probably won't be a problem for most applications and anything over 5000mm is a bit over the top anyway. THe 3900m WB was very easy to throw around on the one I drove....

I suppose the last thing I would say IMO is that the gear that comes as standard and the pricing makes it pretty good value overall......2 x air seats, 3 x difflocks, Single Wheels, etc.

Ivecos and the other Euro alternatives aren't for every one though Chip......the Japanese trucks have built up a great reputation for reliabiity here in Australia and although they don't have all the bells and whistles , they are still a viable and tough option.

Kind regards John.

Last edited:

Amesz00

Adventurer
Just had a lend of this for a few days to check it out.

We're meant to be getting a eurocargo + daily this morning for a week or so. seen a couple before at skippers, but keen to have a drive. from what ive seen of one so far, i concur with pretty much everything John said about it.
the cab is quite small. but IMO that would be good for squeezing thru bush tracks, as its fairly narrow (with flared mudguards) and tapers quite alot to the top corners. that is, as opposed to the current MAN TGM cabs that are roughly
square on every plane, and full width of the truck.. looks good with a big bus body or MH on the back, but sucks for bush work.

90kph speed limited on the XZL's,

makes sense because the 395's it runs are 'G' speed rated, or 90km/h. but, (Im sure Charlie Aarons would know more details on this) in USA michelin gave approval to that tyre on a lesser weight rating to do 70mph, for the U500 mogs and several US tactical military trucks. ill see if i can dig up the page...
here it is

http://www.michelinretreads.com/michelintruck/tires-retreads/tireInfo.do?tread=XZL

8500kg per axle rating, so not quite the 9t it would need. but should be able to comprimise enought to get 100-105 out of it i would have thought? just that 90km on the highway would suck soo bad..

bptp7270

Adventurer
Hi All,

I had a good look over and test drive in the Daily 4x4 yesterday. It is a very easy vehicle to drive, reminds me a little of my old defender dual cab but in a good way. A first glance it certainly looks like a vehicle that is made to go off road. I know its not, but it feel smaller than the fuso. Entry and exit of the cab is very easy with the van style doors. The ISRI seats are very comfortable and although the steering doesn't adjust, it is easy to get a comfortable driving position for someone over six foot. It really sccots along on the freeway and the ride is firm but relatively smooth. There are gadgets, lights and buzzers everywhere and its really well equipped. Only downsides I could see were the Euro finish is not quite as good as the Mitsubishi and the tray is a bit short on the dual cab.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
That sure is a nice looking truck. Love the larger trucks, I really think a big Iveco would do well here in the USA with the 4x4, for forest fire trucks ect, but no one uses them. Heck I best parts of our country would buy those right up for trash trucks! Snow is a pain in the tail for those guys.

Yeah yeah, I know, you guys across the pond are surely sick of hearing the yanks bemoaning the lack of quality large 4x4/6x6 trucks. What else can we do but sigh about it though... sigh. ;)

Thespoon

Observer
Hi all
any news on the Iveco Daily 4X4.......has anybody bought one......anybody started a new project?
John at ATW.....any Daily 4X4 work in progress?
Regards
Adrian
(about to take off again after a few months at home)

whatcharterboat

Hi Adrian

How's things?

We got in really early and had a good look at them....way before they hit the market......looked at doing suspension mods, bar work , etc but it's all on hold at the moment. Same with the camper development for that truck.....it is in the cue of RnD projects to do but we have more pressing jobs underway.

Also Adrian , IMO for the type of travel you do the NPS would be a more capable platform. .....big motor, you can fit a body 1600 mm longer but still with the same wheelbase, better engine access, Isuzu support, relatively cheap parts, etc etc. don't get me wrong......they will have a great place here in the offroad market and on paper they look unreal but for long stints living on
the road or in the bush your format would be hard to beat...IMO.

One of those " urgent projects" below.....almost there.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles