Explorer
^ What he said!

Edit: Looks to be this.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Thespoon

Observer
Thanks John
yes, I agree with what you are saying regarding length of the chassis on the Iveco, they are mainly used in Europe by Councils to carry various implements (snow plough, street sweeper etc) and a camperbody on the back will be very compact in size. But at the same time a more compact vehicle will get you into places where for instance we with ours had to turn around. Horses for courses, I guess.
Looking forward to see the Global Warrior.
Regards
Adrian

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Thanks John
yes, I agree with what you are saying regarding length of the chassis on the Iveco, they are mainly used in Europe by Councils to carry various implements (snow plough, street sweeper etc) and a camperbody on the back will be very compact in size. But at the same time a more compact vehicle will get you into places where for instance we with ours had to turn around.

Adrian, the Wheelbase is the same as an NPS so it won't be more compact....that's what I'm trying to point out.......just that the box on the back will be smaller. The overall dimensions will typically be the same (eg.The allowable overhang will be the same and roof height similar). ....I think I made a mistake too....not 1600 mm smaller but more like 1000mm smaller.

Last edited:

Thespoon

Observer
Adrian, the Wheelbase is the same as an NPS so it won't be more compact....that's what I'm trying to point out.......just that the box on the back will be smaller. The overall dimensions will typically be the same ....I think I made a mistake too....not 1600 mm smaller but more like 1000mm smaller.

You are right, John, thanks for pointing it out.

whatcharterboat

Tell us more about this one John!

David

Hi David, how are ya mate? Haven't spoken for ages. Hope you and Dee are well.

Next week. It's obviously our new camper and we're aiming for next Wednesday completion...then photo shoot then will post pics straight away.

Witchdoctor Oz

Adventurer
looking forward to the images john.
Been flat out re doing the t t camper turning it into a camper trailer, chassis is now finished and worked really well on Fraser.

Coming up to the Sunny Coast very soon will call in for a chat.

David

westyss

Explorer
Hi David, how are ya mate? Haven't spoken for ages. Hope you and Dee are well.

Next week. It's obviously our new camper and we're aiming for next Wednesday completion...then photo shoot then will post pics straight away.

Looking forward to seeing this, I hope you include some additional information like the system used to lower the tires to the ground etc. But just looking at the rear end of it it seems like you should have chosen the name I submitted :eek:)

alan

Explorer
Hi Adrian

How's things?

We got in really early and had a good look at them....way before they hit the market......looked at doing suspension mods, bar work , etc but it's all on hold at the moment. Same with the camper development for that truck.....it is in the cue of RnD projects to do but we have more pressing jobs underway.

Also Adrian , IMO for the type of travel you do the NPS would be a more capable platform. .....big motor, you can fit a body 1600 mm longer but still with the same wheelbase, better engine access, Isuzu support, relatively cheap parts, etc etc. don't get me wrong......they will have a great place here in the offroad market and on paper they look unreal but for long stints living on
the road or in the bush your format would be hard to beat...IMO.

One of those " urgent projects" below.....almost there.

View attachment 145885
That looks really neat! great work!

whatcharterboat

looking forward to the images john.
Been flat out re doing the t t camper turning it into a camper trailer, chassis is now finished and worked really well on Fraser.

Coming up to the Sunny Coast very soon will call in for a chat.

David

Yeah...good on ya. Look forward to it. Regards John.

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

That looks really neat! great work!

Thanks Alan.........the difference in this new product once we went to the full CAD design then CNC tooling will be immediately noticeable. All the plugs were CNC tooled rather than hand built so they are now "millimetre perfect" as we say here. So everything is drawn in a very detailed CAD file then if its steel, the files go to the laser works or if its a composite part, the CAD files give tool paths to our own CNC 3xis router that cuts the plugs .... then the moulds are taken off the plugs. In this case, the rear bar has composite ends (we want to make them in carbon/kevlar one day) with the LED signal lighing fitted in and the steel centre section is the winch mount , tow hitch and supports the wheel lifter ( which lifts using the winch) ....there is also a lot of diagonal bracing underneath to handle typical stresses in a recovery situation. Those taillights look wild at night too......like a Nissan Skyline .

Sorry for getting this thread off track.....I better leave it there and start putting this stuff up on our own thread next week.

Last edited:

alan

Explorer
I planned on doing the same thing! using the back winch to raise and lower motorbike and spare wheels.

whatcharterboat

I planned on doing the same thing! using the back winch to raise and lower motorbike and spare wheels.

Well it is logical isn't it? ..... And a rear winch is so practical.........head into a water crossing that is too deep and you swamp the truck you can pull back out .....get bogged towing a big trailer, you can uncouple , drive on and winch the trailer forward.........drag a boat trailer up a muddy creek bank and straight back onto the hitch......recover stuck Landcruisers, Jeeps, Pajeros and other useless vehicles, etc.....hahaha.

To get back on track....took these a couple of weeks ago out at Black Trucks in Toowoomba.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Thespoon

Observer
I've never thought much of these Iveco's but there growing on me fast!

Yea well......I've been looking at them a bit closer and they certainly have a few advantages over the Fuso's and Isuzu's, like constant 4 wheel drive, diff locks front, center and rear, few more gears, option of 16" wheels, low cabin floor (no engine bump, ideal for walk through) parabolic springs, suspension seats, just to name what would be important for me. On the down side, 1m short on usable length on the back, less space between and under chassis, they don't look as tough and durable as the Japs, (I wonder how they will stand up to corrugations on our outback roads), smaller net of dealerships Australia wide, cost of parts?
Having spent my first 25 years in Switzerland we where always a bit supicious of cars made in Italy, the saying in those days was that if you own a Fiat or Alfa, sell it after the Warranty expires.:)
Mind you....that was 44 years ago, and things have changed.
All that said, I think they will make a good base for a smaller type of Camper.
Regards
Adrian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke