Dutch oven Peach Cobbler Recipe

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
This is the recipe I used at the Desert Rendezvous. Enjoy!

3 Cans no sugar added peaches in syrup
1 Sugar free cake mix
2 eggs
3/4 cup water
1/4 stick butter (chilled or frozen)

1-Dig a 6 inch deep pit and fill with charcoal. Light coals and allow to redden.
2-Dig 3 inch deep hole the size of dutch oven
3-Place 10 red coals in second pit and place oven on top. Preheat 5 minutes.
4-Mix cake, eggs and water in bowl or zip lock.
5-Add peaches to oven. do not drain.
6-Place cake mix over peaches. Make sure it is evenly spread.
7-Shread butter over cake mix evenly.
8-Place lid on oven and put 15 red coals on top.
9-Bake 45 minutes or until golden brown on top. Rotate oven 180 degrees every 15 minutes.
10-Replace coals as necesary to keep the 10 bottom and 15 top glowing red.
11-Serve, Do not eat it all yourself.

The pits keep the coals burning longer in the wind. The sugar free ingredients keep the cobler from being super sweet. I have used home made cake mix before and it turns out well, just very sugary. Google a homemade cake for a recipe for the mix.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I'm partial to the old Boy Scout recipe:

2 (30 oz.) cans sliced peaches; drained and reserved
1 yellow cake mix; dry
1 can Sprite or 7Up

Into a 12" Dutch oven add peaches and spread out. Pour cake mix over peaches then pour the soda over the cake mix. Stir to mix completely. Place lid on oven. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour using 12 briquettes top and 12 briquettes bottom. Rotate oven and lid every 15 minutes.

Optional: Substitute about half of the volume of soda for reserved peach juice.

Done it this way for 25+ years. Messed around with using the parchment paper "liners" for the dutch oven. They work OK, but I've found that if you just bring enough hungry kids, you don't have to worry about anything stuck to the oven - it'll get scraped and eaten by someone.

Zelix

Adventurer
Here's my peach cobbler for two recipe:

http://zelixcookingblog.wordpress.com/2011/09/23/peach-cobbler-for-two/

Here’s a easy cobbler for two in a 6″ Dutch Oven.

ingredients:

1/4 stick of butter

1 can sliced peaches

1/2 cup self rising flour

1/2 cup of sugar

1/2 cup of milk

chunk butter in the Do and heat up.

add can of peaches to DO

Mix flour, sugar & milk together in a bowl.

pour over the peaches in the DO

bake until done. I baked on 350 degrees for a approx. 20 minutes.

peachcobbler1.jpg

peachcobbler.jpg

Joanne

Adventurer
Although this recipe is a great first time cobbler, it's also one of the ones I make on a regular basis. It's so simple you can have it cooking in 5 minutes or less. Using premade cinnamon rolls may be cheating, but I've never had a complaint.

Hardware
12 inch Dutch Oven
26 briquettes (more if it's windy or cold)

Ingredients
2 large cans of sliced peaches (around 30 oz cans)
1 small can of crushed pinapple (8 oz can)
2 tubes Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls
1 tbl cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tbl corn starch

Procedure
Note: I like to preheat the lid when I am cooking this cobbler. Set the lid on a holder and throw on 16 coals. Leave the coals on the lid while you prepare the cobbler.

1 - Open and drain the peaches and pineapple

2 - Mix 1 tablespoon of corn starch into 1/4 cup (or less) of water, mixing until no lumps

3 - Pour the peaches, pineapple, cinnamon and nutmeg into the oven. Mix together.

4 - Pour the corn starch mixture over the peaches and mix in. This will cause the juices to thicken a bit and keep the cobber from getting too runny. If you don't have corn starch available, just skip this step. The cobbler will still be good

5 - Place the cinnamon rolls on top of the peaches. You can leave them whole, or you can tear them into little pieces. I leave them whole because they look nice.

6 - Place the pot over the 10 lower coals and put the preheated lid on.

7 - This should take around 15 minutes to cook. I suggest that you spin the lid 1/4 turn every 5 minutes or so. After 10 minutes sneak a quick look to see how the rolls are cooking. Remove the cobbler from the heat when the rolls are golden brown.

8 - Drizzle the frosting that came with the cinnamon rolls all over the top.

9 - Serve and enjoy.

Keep in mind that the peaches and pineapples are already cooked. You just want them nice and hot, so don't overdo bottom heat. You need top heat to bake the cinnamon rolls, so add a few more coals to the top if the rolls aren't cooking the way you want.

If you are cooking in a 12 deep oven, add an additional 3 to 4 briquettes on the lid.

Joanne

P.S. -
Now Zelix, you can't be hogging all the glory!:)

ssssnake529

Explorer
Strawberry shortcake cobbler:

Serves 2-3 people

At home, prepare the ingredients:
Strawberries:
cut 1 quart of strawberries in half. Add 2-3 tablespoons of sugar and mix. Refrigerate and store.

Shortcake
2.5 tablespoons sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/3 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups heavy cream
Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, remaining sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Add heavy cream and mix until combined. Knead into a circular crust shape, not too thick (1/4 to 1/2 inch thick at most), dust with extra flour, store between 2 sheets of wax paper. Put in a ziplock bag and refrigerate and store.

Whipped Cream:
1/2 cups heavy cream, chilled
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon lavender extract
Mix ingredients together. Whip until soft peaks form. Refrigerate and store.

In CAMP:
Butter the inside of a small (1 or 2 quart) Dutch oven.
Put strawberries in bottom.
Put shortcake on top.
Place coals on top of dutch oven (maybe a very few coals underneath, but not too many)
Bake 20 minutes or so, until shortcake is golden brown.
Top with whipped cream.
EAT!

7284926720_0f9c958bf2_b.jpg

7284926280_3869ecf407_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior