Marmot tents ? And what we ended up with

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Lots of good info here and I agree with Flounder and Jonathon. MSR/Cascade Designs/REI acquired Moss and some other tent brands in the early 2000's. Hanu you may find some of the designs that you liked in your old Moss in these brands.

I have been a fan of tipi tents for years now. They set up easy work in 4 seasons with heavy snow loads and handle wind well. I have used the Black Diamond Megamid, Dana Designs Garuda NukTuk but I like the Go Light Shangri-La 5 also. The only draw back to this style is they are not free standing and the center pole takes up some of the useable floor space.

Kifaru Tipis look like they would be in the sizes you are looking for. Started by Patrick Smith from Mountain Smith backpack fame. http://www.kifaru.net/TIPI2009.html

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
Want a sewn in floor :) and wife demands it :)
With kids crawling around on the floor less chance of stinging critters in the tent :)

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Kifaru tents are extremely high quality, but simply bonkers expensive, and their occupancy ratings are a joke. I tested a "six-man" model which made a delightful two-person tent. And they do take a long time to pitch, even with practice. The little folding stove is pretty awesome, though . . .

We have the poly-cotton canvas Turbo tent (the 10 by 10 size). It does just fine in wind, and has plenty of guylines tucked away in neat little pouches. The only issue is that the fly extensions that wrap each pole aren't very taut and flap a lot in wind. Also, at least on ours, the storage bag was absurdly too small. I drafted a second duffel for the fly, which solved the problem. I'd like to get the extension fly/spare room as an option for base camps if we're going to be in one spot for a few days.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Thanks Jonathan
Yeah the extra room of the extension would be nice and something I would want :)

Curious if you looked at the jet tents also ?
While more money the f30x is the exact floor plan I like :)

To bad you can't get blackwolf tents here or turbo did not make that model :)

Last edited:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
If I'm not mistaken the Jet Tents are Turbo Tents. Either made by them for Oz Tent, produced under license, or simply cloned. As are the Black Wolf versions. But I can't speak to the specific quality control of the Jet Tents.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'll throw another option out there, if for no other reason than to hear Jonathan's head explode - Kelty. :Wow1:

http://www.kelty.com/p-506-hula-house-6.aspx?category=tents-shelters

I'm never a fan of any product that promises to be dumpster food, as Jonathan once said. I love that expression, by the way. However, if circumstances prevent you from buying something as nice as your Moss, then by all means, shop the deals. I admit, this Kelty Hula House 6 is a bit wacky. It looks like a tent with a yamaka. However, I can't say it's any less well made than many of the tents discussed thus far. That's sad, but true. I bought my sister this tent two years ago and her kids have done their best to destroy it. I'd say it's appropriately priced.

Honu

lost on the mainland
If I'm not mistaken the Jet Tents are Turbo Tents. Either made by them for Oz Tent, produced under license, or simply cloned. As are the Black Wolf versions. But I can't speak to the specific quality control of the Jet Tents.

Yeah pretty much seeming to be all ne in the same dif fabrics dif features same frames ?
So I take it you did not look into them vs the turbo then ?
So you have not seen one ? Was curious how the canvas compared other than color :)

Honu

lost on the mainland
That is a good expression :)

Budget wise as little as I can but whatever it takes ?
Dont want junk want nice rain proof wind proof no leaking a tent when it blows does not bend in etc... Had my huge conqueror in some heavy Oregon coast rains and winds and it did not budge get wet never got condensation etc... That is what I want :)
Something you can be super comfy in

Don't want a nylon kite tent :) been with some with cheap tents and a 10MPH wind feels like the tent is going to collapse :)

Considering how long ago I had my moss I had no reservations throwing down the coin
I am not rich but I have learned often not always buy good quality is worth it :)

We have a 4 man Kelly :) beach tent got it at Costco :) purely knowing its junk but 150 bucks a place to throw stuff in and zip up all I needed on Maui really
My moss was only used in the NW along the Oregon coast etc.., maybe got 200-300 days use ? My Sierra expedition got the rest of use in the islands

Again back then was single now with a 3 and 7 year old and wife want them to be happy :) OK kids are cool with whatever I am making the wife happy here :)

I was going to get a campmor or howling moon dome ? We thought it might be to tight ? Maybe we just be more cozy ?
Still love heavy canvas as last few years got spoiled with my conqueror :)
Those are $1000 and have no issue dropping that on one ?

Funny as this tent choice is killing me !!!! Again appreciate all the honest input everyone is giving me :) things have changed since I went tent shopping last !

I'll throw another option out there, if for no other reason than to hear Jonathan's head explode - Kelty. :Wow1:

http://www.kelty.com/p-506-hula-house-6.aspx?category=tents-shelters

I'm never a fan of any product that promises to be dumpster food, as Jonathan once said. I love that expression, by the way. However, if circumstances prevent you from buying something as nice as your Moss, then by all means, shop the deals. I admit, this Kelty Hula House 6 is a bit wacky. It looks like a tent with a yamaka. However, I can't say it's any less well made than many of the tents discussed thus far. That's sad, but true. I bought my sister this tent two years ago and her kids have done their best to destroy it. I'd say it's appropriately priced.

Last edited:

Salue

Adventurer
Honu,
I'm in the same boat as you. Our Coleman, after 14 years has finally faded to the point where you can see through the material on a sunny day and my wife authorized the purchase of a new tent. I was debating between the Marmot Limesone 6, Big Agnes King Creek 6 and a Turbo Tent. I purchase the Turbo Tent Freestander 6 over the weekend at Costco because they had a road show and am going to test it out next weekend on a clamming/camping trip on the WA coast. I'm not sold on it yet due to the bulk of it when it is packed down. If I end up returning it, I think I may go with the BA King Creek 6. I really like the simplicity of it and the huge rainfly/vestibule. If you haven't looked at the King Creek 6, you should check it out; it even comes with the vestibule/rainfly.

Cheers,
Salue

Honu

lost on the mainland
Asked in the other thread also :) how much was it ?

Saw the king creek 6 but for what we want it's a bit to small :)
Want a bit of room with two small kids and the dog to get the kids dressed easy etc...

Sawyer

Adventurer
Looked at the big agnes Flying diamond 8 but wanted more square wider design ? Than long and thin ? Also wanted a bit larger stand up area

I read the whole thread thus far.... and as some one whom owns the flying Diamond 8.... I couldn't recommend it. Clearly I think you want something that is going to last. And, I think that really puts you into the higher priced canvas style tents.

I love the flying Diamond size and at 6'2" the clear height doesnt bother me. I have owned it since it first came out almost 3 years ago. However... I don't have confidence in the quality. The first time I used it was at Pismo Beach. It held up great to the wind... but I did notice that were one of the poles thread the combo of sand and slight movement slightly wore the fabric. I have also noticed that one of the poles has a slight bend it now after time.... I just dont see it lasting the long term. I now find myself looking for a good alternative... although, it may be a while before that happens.

As for Jet tent, Turbo, and Blackwolf.... I had always though Blackwolf was first and then either Turbo bought them or Oz bought them and make the Turbo as a lower cost alternative to the jet. As I understand it the Jet should be the quality you find with the other OZ tents. I have seen and felt the Turbo in person recently and the quality I felt was a little nicer than equivalent priced nylon style tents. However, I had to help the guy take the tent down in moderate wind and it SUCKED! Enough so that I wouldn't want one. And it is pretty big packed up. Double my Flying Diamond 8. It held up great in the wind but felt it was a RPIA to put away.

Hope this helps!

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Really miss Moss, MSR did a good job taking over but I don't know the new stuff. If I remember right these were polyester, nylon stretches like rubber, especially when wet. Your Howling Moon is great too but would be really heavy.

I have a 3 man, 3 season Marmot. Used it as a base camp for three weeks in intense rain. Good bang for the buck, no complaints about quality but I was asking it to handle more weather than it was designed for.

Large tents are a challenge. Canvas is good but heavy, Nylon is light and OK for small stuff. Polyester has the strength and lightness. As for the good new designs, I'm not current.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Sawyer :) thanks
OH my 3 year old is named Sawyer :)

thanks for the input :) yeah I think ya got me I want the moss build sounds like in large tents its rare and might have to go to my canvas builds ;) which is funny cause I started there decided to save some weight and room figuring I would give up a few things like wind noise not sleeping it but did not want to give up quality !!!! and sounds like I have to :)

yeah I am not sure about the whole turbo black wolf who was first thing :) and good to hear about the take down since its usually me alone the wife is wrangling the little ones
curious what it was that made it so tough to break down ? size ? weight ? the legs ?
thanks again ! helped a lot ;)

Lem :) yeah polyester I call them nylon !! I should not do that really I guess its a bad slang that stuck with me for some reason ? and need a boot to the head :) heheheh
funny about the stretching of course being into sailing and such aware of that :) also I bought a ENO hammock and will use my own straps but read the ones they offer are NYLON !!!!! HUH no wonder some say they wake up and are two feet lower ;) hehehehehe

yeah Moss was great and nice colors also I loved how tight the tents were !!! mine at least was so nice and taught yet not hard to get pitched no flapping that I remember ? and silent in some harsh Oregon Coast winds and rains

thanks for the input !

I wish I could afford the hilliberg atlas :) nice and light yet huge and strong from what I read :) but with the inner tent with floor and vestibule about $2300 ? a bit to rich for just the main tent !

Last edited:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Yeah pretty much seeming to be all ne in the same dif fabrics dif features same frames ?
So I take it you did not look into them vs the turbo then ?
So you have not seen one ? Was curious how the canvas compared other than color

When we got the Turbo Tent it was brand new on the market, so did not compare. I've seen one Black Wolf version, which looked equivalent to me at a glance, but I haven't seen a Jet Tent in person.

I'll throw another option out there, if for no other reason than to hear Jonathan's head explode - Kelty.

Boom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz