Winch Extender

Z71-K9

After five years of not having my 9000i mounted, I decided that it has to go on the new truck. I had the motor replaced and purchased a new controller. I have the original 5/16 125' length wire rope. I was thinking of replacing it with new synthetic. Do you think the old wire rope could be used as a winch extender? Only damage is one small kink that nearly straight after the last pull.

opie

Explorer
Yes you can. But something to keep in mind, even if you put 5/16 rope on there, the synthetic rope will be stronger than the wire rope. Essentially turning your wire rope into the weak link and you really dont want the weak link of your system that part thats storing the most energy.

Expedition Leader
Wire rope is pretty heavy and bulky to carry around, for something you're not going to use very often. A synthetic extension weighs next to nothing and stows easily anywhere.

Eventhough

Explorer
Width for width, synthetic winch line like Amsteel Blue will be stronger, store less energy, be lighter, easier to work with, and take up less room. I carry a 3/8"x50' extension and it is an afterthought until I need it, where as a wire cable would not be. Wire cable will also stretch more than synthetic and store more energy, therefore it is not as safe as synthetic. So yes, you could but I wouldn't.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I'd use wire rope on the winch and have the synthetic for the exstension. Though I prefer 3/8" for a 9000 lb winch.
Come to think of it, that's the setup I have for my RE10000.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Wire rope is pretty heavy and bulky to carry around, for something you're not going to use very often. A synthetic extension weighs next to nothing and stows easily anywhere.

Pretty much my thought. I carried the 3/8" x 125ft off my Warn M12k ONCE. It was big, heavy and took up a lot of space. Wasn't worth it and never have needed it.

maxingout

Adventurer
Have you ever broken the wire cable when it was running straight without using a snatch block?

Have you ever broken a wire cable when using a snatch block?

I have seen winches used lots of time for recoveries in the sand, and I have never seen a wire cable break on a straight pull without a snatch block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste