Have noted the comments re title and registration problems ,

EWS

Observer
Just curious .

Have noted the comments re title and registration problems , that often get posted/commented on. Here in the UK we buy/build a trailer , and just get a supplier of number plates , on production of the appropriate documentation to make up a plate for the towing vehicle/trailer , no title needed, or documentation as to ownership of said trailer. Just curios as to why such a complex system and it seems different for every state.. Any one care to explain !!!

Maine07jk

Adventurer
We are the similar her in Maine. Just make out the paperwork that it is homemade trailer and I get my registration plates. Of course after paying the Department of Motor Vehicles their $$$$.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Pennsylvania has cracked down on trailers, hitches and trailer regulations after a fatal trailer collision.

http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/06105/682463-85.stm

Pennsylvania is crazy on home made trailers.
You must have a sales slip for all parts and tax paid.
When build is complete a certified inspection station needs to inspect the build.
The welds, parts, strength, and function are inspected. This could cost $200.00 and up.
Piss the inspector off and your trailer won't see the road.
When you pass and forms are filled out by the inspector, they get sent into the state.
Plate and regestration couldcost over $125.00

Many people in Pennsylvania buy junk trailers crush them and use the vin and title on thier trailers.
There are ads monthy on Craigslist looking for junk trailers with a title.

Last edited:

tclaremont

Observer
Why? Because it is a source of income for the states, under the guise of safety. Granted, there is merit to ensuring that the trailers are safe, but there are better ways to do so.

youwillforget

Adventurer
Mark how do they deal with out of state?

I can build up to 10 a year in Indiana. Its pretty simple for us I could build simple square frames with a plywood deck, an axel and springs, lights, safety chains and a coupler fill out a pack of papers wait 2 weeks for the VIN then get a title. Title says "Assembled" as make but I doubt that makes a difference.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
In Florida a title certificate is not required for trailers with a net weight of 2,000 lbs or less. Can tags be obtained w/o title herein Florida I'll update on this soon. Privately owned military vehicles have a tag display exemption and the tag must be kept within vehicle for presentation to any official requesting docs/tags.

NET WEIGHT; defined as an unloaded trailer built meeting DOT requirements for safe operation upon public highways/roads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior