Tiger Build up

ed604

Adventurer
I looked all over the web for reviews on tires. I looked so much I was sick of tires. If you haven't had a chance yet I would highly recomend some of the write ups on this site for sure!

I had a really tough time choosing between the Duratrac and the Km2's I almost went Km2s.But the deciding factors were; the wet weather that Vancouver gets, the E rating available,and finally all the really pleased people who recomended them. There was alot of positive feedback on the Goodyear, not to say that the bfg had any less,but for me and what I am planning,I thought they were the best match.

be happy to put up a long term review of this tire. maybe I can give an after the arctic trip review.

Ed

ed604

Adventurer
lockers and bumpers

I have been doing further research into locking diferentials. Originally I was going to go ARB with no hesitation. But after reading up on them I started to think maybe the extra air lines could be a problem.

So, that started a lot of reading on what the problems with the ARB actually were. It seems to me that the bulk of peoples issues are around how much care and attention is payed to the install of the air lines, their routing and mounting. not with the parts breaking.
After much thought, I really wanted to be able to control the activation of the locker, when to engage or not. I like the idea of fewer parts in the detroit locker, but not at the expense of control.

I have looked into the Eaton E locker but have decided to stick to ARB. I think that I will be happy with them. I really do want to have air on board as well. Now on to the next most famous quesion of one locker or two!

On the bumper front, I have had a major reality adjustment on what they cost! As well the design that I am drawn to has a lot of fabrication. I like the look of the Road Armour bumpers, but not the weight or the posted problems with their product and service! I have been playing with some designs for the front. But I don't know if i can pull off something that I would be happy with.

So to start I am going to build my own back bumper and see how it goes. the rear is very simple and won't have the same level of detail in the fabricaton. I will put a tire carrier,and a jerry can/high lift holder both on swing outs. The tiger has an exterior storage box built in, but it is not very secure. A locking tire carrier would solve that.

Thats it for now, no new pictures to post yet. But, when I clear out space from the new garage I'll start in on the coach and plumbing tanks, and do a major weight cutting mission.

Ed

ed604

Adventurer
Hello Esmi,

By the way I really like your tiger! Interesting idea with the box, are all the tigers the same with that box? It is pretty small. In my tiger I already have storage under the back seat so I think I,ll keep it outside access. But I like you idea about the fixed Jerry can holder. I could do that too which would simplify my fab work. Only the tire carrier would swing in this way. No worries on any thread pull. Nice to have your input.

I look forward to seeing your bumper. Your tiger is a ford right? What year is it?

Ed

Esmi

Explorer
I look forward to seeing your bumper. Your tiger is a ford right? What year is it?

Ed

Mine is a 2001 Ford F250 gasser with 180,000 miles on it. I have put about 500 of those miles on, and the original owner did all the rest.

I have been meaning to start a "build page" for this neat and useful rig, but I suppose I have to actually make improvements before I have anything to document. So far, my only modification is to buy an air freshener and ************ the carpet with baking soda.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Generator Space?

... are all the tigers the same with that box? It is pretty small. In my tiger I already have storage under the back seat so I think I,ll keep it outside access. But I like you idea about the fixed Jerry can holder. I could do that too which would simplify my fab work. Only the tire carrier would swing in this way. ...

Are we talking about the space where the genset is mounted, between the frame rails, at the back, accessed through a door in the center of the camper? A very few Tigers do not have a genset in which case the space would be usable for storage.

As far as I know, the ONLY reason to go to the effort of swing away mounts would be to preserve access to the genset. And as you need to get to the genset only once or twice a year, some Tiger owners have mounted "bolt away" storage on the back.

It sounds to me as if Esmi's Tiger may be one of those without a genset.

Last edited:

Esmi

Explorer
It sounds to me as if Esmi's Tiger may be one of those without a genset.

Yes, I think mine was custom ordered sans generator (also sans roof air and oven). I will have to check the build sheet when I get nearer the truck. I had thought briefly about installing a gennie, but I don't really have or want to add anything to run with it. In fact, I believe all my elec needs can be met with a single 100 watt panel and a couple batts. (More on that when I actually do any work in that regard.)

ed604

Adventurer
Hello Diplostrat,

It looks like my tiger is gen set negative as well. I was wondering why they made the box out of aluminum and welded the seams, now I know why. Thank you sir, I learn something new every day!
Esmi, I like the Idea of using the solar panels, I am planning on using them in my build up, how did you pick which panels to go for?.

Rear bumper Fab, I have decided a simple rear bumper closed on all sides for a boxed look. I will go with fixed jerry can holder, Axe, shovel, and high lift mounting. I will do a swing away rear tire carrier. I will use the rear gen set area as a recovery gear storage space. I am going to do a full size mock up of the items I want to carry on the bumper to get a feel and take some measurements. I do want to make functional rock sliders the double as steps. ( I have no shortage of cool ideas just the cash to do them, ha!)

I have decided to turf the cable hung spare tire carrier, and in its place maybe a second fuel tank? I am not sure the best system for this yet, switchable tanks or dual draw set up. Is it better to mount the tanks between the rails further up?

My support straps for the waste water tanks are pretty pathetic, so I have some work there to do. And lastly the step to the side door, I am ready to cut the thing right off it rattles so much, I have gone with the high tech system of pounding a wooden wedge in with whatever rock I find, but would like something better for sure.

thats it for now next pics will be out in a test run or with the bumper mock up done.

cheers,
Ed

lqhikers

Adventurer
tiger mods.

Ed.

just a suggestion when you redo the straps on your holding tanks cut the abs sections
between the black and grey tanks and the dump valve take out 3" section from each
and add rubber couplers (home depot) this will allow section to flex and take strain off
tanks,also because of location there is always the chance of hitting valve on rocks etc.
if you do hit the rubber section will give or if a bad hit will pull loose saving your tanks.
this was the first mod i did on my tiger bengal which we picked up on the 18th of april.

to take care of your rattle with the steps the factory now drills 2 holes thru the mech
on each side and uses 2 bolts with wing nuts to secure,no rattles and no chance of bouncing
loose off road.

even though the steps are handy i am going to remove as they hang down to far,to easy to
catch on rocks and tear off.

good luck with your build will be watching.

drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Les,lqhikers

fyreles

On page 3 of this thread is a pix of my Tiger that I had a friend make a 30 inch rear platform for storage. It helps for supplies on the long trips. Mine came without a gen also, I haul a Honda 2000, it works for my needs. I added a roof air also for obvious comfort issues. The Dodge has better clearance than most other configurations even at stock height..

ed604

Adventurer
Esmi, you had me laughing my a## off! I guess I like the way your Bogarting leans.

Les, that is fantastic input I will use a fernco coupler to do that. Pretty easy to do too. by the way, are you loving your Bengal?

Overall I am really trying to resist rebuilding this camper, being in the construction industry I have to admit that I am tempted to go all the way with custom cabinets and tops. The more I do, or plan to do, the further I want to take it. I keep having to remind myself that I don't have to do all this to get in it and go! I am a builder/creator at the very core but I want to be an explorer too!

I guess I have an image in my mind of what this thing will be when completed, but like I said I have to stay diligent to govern my building ways!

Ed

lqhikers

Adventurer
satisfied.

ed;

since picking up our bengal i have had a chance to really look it over
and comparing this one to the few older ones i have looked at it seems to me
that the new owner of provan is upgrading the built to a much higher level
than older ones.

as with any semi massed produced camper there will always be areas that
will be weak and will need to be corrected.

as the unit is delivered it will be 95% fine for most owners.

having owned a number of campers over the years most areas that are out
of sight are hashed together,on the bengal the hidden wiring runs are tight,secured,
and pretty well laid out.

weak point on ours was the access to the battery compartment,you had to loosen the water pump
and the wiring to 12v outlet and 110 outlet remove two panels cut flooring ,i rewired outlets to one panel
cut the flooring added a plate to access panel remounted panels so they could be removed with 2 screws
now it takes just a minute to check batteries.
even though they are sealed i would not want to have to check then in the field as mounted at factory.

the new storage box on rear is now larger and will hold 2 five gal gas cans inside or on top of box.
the rear swing out rack it built equal to or stronger than any after market unit i have seen.

they now use much stronger straps to mount holding tanks,but for me not there yet,the straps are 1"wide
and from past experience the spots they contact tank is the week spot as the weight is in the 1"
area.what i will do is as i have done in the past. take a L shaped 2" angle run along edge of tank,then
mount straps over them this will spread weight over the length of tanks.

people have complained about cabinets coming loose,but after looking at how they are mounted
i doubt they will come loose unless you fill them with a months worth of canned goods!

as we ordered ours we deleted the sink in the bath which gives you much more room,again
i think they have a sink to make it kook like a home bath! still had the shower facets mounted.

i would assume that proven stopped making the pop top model as they are going to be weaker
and more prone to problems,but that is just my thought on pop up model.

so to answer your question we are very happy with our bengal tiger.

drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Les,lqhikers

chromisdesigns

Adventurer
We are seriously looking at the Bengal Tiger, and one of our questions was the cassette toilet. Just heard back from Mark via his new West Coast rep that a cassette toilet is indeed available for the Bengal, if desired, but it has to be requested/installed very early in the build stage, as it involves relocating a few things.

He also noted the Nature's Head option. Apparently, they have one and are evaluating it for use in Tigers. Not sure about a composting toilet, though. Anyone have one of these, or one like it, in an RV or perhaps a boat, that can comment on how they work? I can see the value for a remote cabin, for instance.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
We are seriously looking at the Bengal Tiger, and one of our questions was the cassette toilet. Just heard back from Mark via his new West Coast rep that a cassette toilet is indeed available for the Bengal, if desired, but it has to be requested/installed very early in the build stage, as it involves relocating a few things.

He also noted the Nature's Head option. Apparently, they have one and are evaluating it for use in Tigers. Not sure about a composting toilet, though. Anyone have one of these, or one like it, in an RV or perhaps a boat, that can comment on how they work? I can see the value for a remote cabin, for instance.

Good news on the cassette as that represents a change. You did see the link on Nature's Head above, no?

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I have a TCer with the standard RV toilet and most times I love it. Use it many times, find an RV dump to empty and start over again. For standard camping I would never look at changing to anything different.

I do have two issues with the standard toilet for my type of camping - first it is hard in some places to find a RV dump station and with more and more starting to charge for the use it is becoming another expense. My system is that I try and dump the black water everyday that I am moving (grey as well but we can work around this). That way if I miss a day then I am still in good shape, with places charging $5.00 & $10.00 to dump it is not feasible for me to dump a mostly empty tank and if the next couple of days finds me not near a dump station then I am in trouble.

The biggest reason that I would like to go with a cassette is for the winter months. I love the idea that I can pull the cassette and take in the house and the unit is winterized. Want to hit the road and you grab the cassette fill with water and go. Dumping is also a lot easier (currently) as a road site rest stop, gas station, etc and you can dump the tank.

A composting toilet to me is one that you would need to use regularly to keep working properly and I am not sure if it would be a benefit in cold weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles