Tiger Build up

ed604

Adventurer
Hey Mike thanks for the reply,

Here in B.C. every road into or out of this area is over or along some mountain. Coastal range or further east the rockies. I have decided to run the 35in tires and see how they are with the gears I have.

I will be doing a bunch of short trips to get the truck ready. So if I can't stand them I will have time to change them out later.

On another note, I was told today that installing the arb lockers is going to open a can of worms in regards to a bunch of recomended upgrades to the axles and some other parts, I started to glaze over when the guy was going into the details and I couldn't follow him over the phone.

I am thinking that I will go for one rear locker for sure and maybe a front... still thinking it over. Curse this weight, the usually stout dana 60 starts to look not as stout i'm told, when were talking 10,000 lbs. I gotta weigh this thing.

On the tire front I have decided to go with the Duratracs, there is a ton of positive feedback on these tires and for what I am planning, they should fit the bill. I plan on running two spares. Now to figure out where to mount them......and how to lock them up.

thanks again for the feed back Mike,

Ed ( pics after the tires and wheels go on)

ExpoMike

No problem. I actually changed the RPM range at the 65-70 mpg. I drove it today so I have an accurate number.

I think I looked at this rig a while, online. Really liked it. Can't wait to see it with 35's on it. :)

ed604

Adventurer
I have completed a few of the must do items on this unit. all new rotors, pads, and calipers on the front. had to fix a leaky seal in the back. Both sets of outer tie rod ends and the panhard bar.

I was talking with one of my buddys about doing all this work but not being able to see any change! But it was needed to run the vehicle through the government inspection. Done and Done. It is now regestered as a B.C. vehicle.

I ran it over the scales, and with a full tank of diesel, propane, fresh water, and me, I weigh a whopping 8,500 lbs. this is good news for me as I thought that I would be much more heavy.

My new duratrac tires are in, but still no wheels yet. hopefully next week for the first batch of cool stuff. thinking about making my own rear bumper and tire carrier. I would use aluminum.

I am taking the family out for the long weekend for our first test run with every one. We'll see how all the little details work out.

Ed

Last edited:

ed604

Adventurer
35s rub

Well got the 35s test fitted on the truck today. wow what a different look ! I love it. The new tires make the old ones (245 75 16) look like a honda tire. But as I was afraid of the tires are rubbing on the fenders. I am going to try and install a 2inch leveling kit to fit the tires on with out rubbing. This kit is a spacer block that fits above the coil and a rear add a leaf to keep it even. I really don't want to jack this thing up in the air! I want as little lift as will accomodate the tires and suspension articulation.

Has any one had experiance running the 3/4 ton Dodge and 35in tires with a set up like this. I would hate to have to change the tires to 33s

I am going to try one of the local 4x4 shops to get their opinion too.

thanks, and can't wait to show the new look tiger with wheels and tires that don't rub!
Ed

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
In the "Free advice is worth ..." department.

Stress to the 4x4 shop that you want a serious suspension kit that increases suspension travel, not simply some blocks or a re-arch of the springs. (Of course, the Dodge may have front coils.) I remember, back in the day, that the Florida shops simply wanted to raise my Blazer, not actually improve the suspension. The latter is more important, even if you go back to 33 inch tires.

Good luck!

fisher205

Explorer
I would really recommend that you check out http://lorenzindustries.com/ , http://thecarlisuspension.com/ and http://thurenfabrication.com/home.html before going with the blocks. THe blocks are inexpensive but I think in the long run you would be happier with one of the other suspensions.Lorenz claims you can run 35's with his springs in the front. I had for a while on one of my Dodge's and really liked them. I have been going to put them on my 94, but my 33's cler fine.

I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your truck when it is done.

ExpoMike

Yes, all of those companies make great products.... IF you are running an unloaded truck. I checked into all of them and none of them really could give me answers to what would happen with my truck loaded up with our FWC (full time) and gear. Lots of "well umm...". As it was, I got the truck scaled (total and front/rear axle weight) and had National Spring build me a custom set of full leaf packs (got rid of the crappy factory blocks) and coils. Not only does it handle the weight correctly, the ride is awesome. Without the blocks in the back, all the rear end wheel hop is gone (freeway and dirt road driving) but I also get good articulation even with the factory sway bars.

With the factory springs (especially the rear) I sat about an 1" off the overloads. Every bump I would get the famous "helper slap" when they would engage. Road like total crap.

Nothing off the shelf it going to work. You need to get things setup for YOUR rig. BTW, my weight loaded up comes in just under 8,500 lbs. so we are very close in weight.

fisher205

Explorer
Good point on the rear leafs. I should have stated on the front end. I have wanted to do what you did in the back, but have not followed through since I am thinking about changing trucks again.

ed604

Adventurer
lift kit woes

I have been looking into the lift that is needed to run the 35 inch tires. It really seems like the leveling kit simply won't allow proper articulation. I have been told from a reputable shop that I will need to run around a five inch lift. as such I am thinking of moving to the 33 inch tires instead.

From an offroad stand point does anyone think that is a problem for jungle runs in central America?

It's a significant investment to make the larger tires fit and fit right. I am starting to think it isn't worth it.
For the same cost I would almost be able to fit lockers front and back. I also think that the 33s would be better for my 3.54 gears.

Decisions, decisions, but still having fun with it.

thanks,
Ed

ed604

Adventurer
33s it is!

I have decided to go with the 33s I just won't need the 35 inch tires to do what I intend to. This truck is not a hardcore wheelin rig. It is going to be my home for a while and if I can't make it through an obsticle with the 33s and lockers, maybe I shouldn't have been there in the first place!

my final choice was 285 75 16 Duratracs. I have chosen a flat black rim that is 8 inches wide.

next up, bumpers and tire carriers and maybe the lockers? I had the Dif guy trying sell me on a detroit locker for the rear. I had intended to go arb, I'll keep churning that one a while.

here are some pics.

Edtires on truck.jpgtire.jpg

ExpoMike

Nice choice. I agree, I debated the 33"/35" tire size and in the end went with the 285/75-16 option. 35's just add a lot of extra expense to the life and wear on parts. It just wasn't justifiable given where we likely would go. So far it hasn't been a problem for us. Overall width of the vehicle has been more of an issue (minor) than lack of height. A nice benefit of keeping it lower is that I can reach all my pop up latches without needing to use a step stool. :)

Looks good!!!! I would love to have your rig even with ours being very similar. :)

IMG_1409.jpg

fyreles

IMG1321.jpg This is our 2002 Cummins 4X4 CX Tiger, it is a cCummins. I like the extended cab on yours. Having a heavy front bumper is key. The ability to survive a deer strike at highway speeds is important. Protect the intercooler and the radiator.

Last edited:

SChandler

Adventurer
I have decided to go with the 33s I just won't need the 35 inch tires to do what I intend to. This truck is not a hardcore wheelin rig. It is going to be my home for a while and if I can't make it through an obsticle with the 33s and lockers, maybe I shouldn't have been there in the first place!

my final choice was 285 75 16 Duratracs. I have chosen a flat black rim that is 8 inches wide.

next up, bumpers and tire carriers and maybe the lockers? I had the Dif guy trying sell me on a detroit locker for the rear. I had intended to go arb, I'll keep churning that one a while.

here are some pics.

Ed

Which rims did you get? Those look nice. Are they steel or aluminum?

ed604

Adventurer
the rims are aluminum made by Ion 16 x 8

mike.. your rig looks almost identical to mine, wow!

fyrles.. I actually like the wheel base of your rig it looks a little shorter, mine is a little long. the extended cab section is only good for small low storage.

I am trying to figure out if I am going to make my own bumpers or buy the aluminess ones. I have to figure out if I am going to go with one locker or two? Also, I have to try and figure out if I can get the grey water tanks hung a little higher.

Ed

SChandler

Adventurer
Thanks for the info on the rims. They look nice on there with the Dura Trac's. I'll be interested in hearing your impressions on them, I'm seriously considering getting a set when my current tires wear out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles