Expedition Portal: The Nissan Xterra Project Build

KMM

Kelsey_DirtSunrise
Tan_Jeep_Ray3%20(5).jpg

After about three months of working at Overland Journal, I decided my current set of wheels - a Toyota Celica, just wasn't cutting it anymore. It wasn’t that it was a particularly bad vehicle, in fact I became quite affectionate for the little red car. Being around a plethora of 4x4’s all day meant that my eyes occasionally wandered off into the distance and caused me to start reminiscing about the 4x4’s I owned in my past.

My first car was actually an older Nissan Pathfinder - which I really liked. I found it to be capable on the trail and reliable on the street where I mainly used it to go back and forth to work. After 200,000 miles and a replaced transmission I decided it was finally time to let go. A few non-descript average cars later and we’re back full circle with my Toyota Celica.

celica.JPG

The love of my Celica and the desire for an off-road capable vehicle prompted my rash decision to purchase my 1985 Toyota Tacoma. Sometimes the only way to find out what you like is to jump in and try things; so in hopes of keeping my Celica and still having a more “off-roady” Vehicle, I made a spur-of-the moment purchase (very rare for me) of a 1985 Toyota pickup. This truck was full of character, or as some said, it needed to be “de-ghetto-fied,” which it did. The right front blinker was custom fit with a reflector off of a traffic pylon, the sound system needed a little toning down as it blew out the headlight literally, and losing the multitude of ‘bro stickers’ that randomly decorated the truck was a must as well.

85%20toyota%201.jpg

After driving it off and on for a month or so I decided this was not what I wanted as I was constantly opting to drive my little Celica because it has more space. My original plan was to gain space with an SUV. So I decided I was going to sell my Celica and make a complete plunge into a 4x4. The two SUV’s I had been considering were the Toyota 4Runner and the Nissan Xterra.

Tan_Jeep_Ray3%20(6).jpg

Both the Toyota and Nissan were reliable, well built, and I had owned two of both brands. I did find the lower price point of the Nissan charming. I really liked the back window that rolled down in the Toyota (a plus for my dogs). I liked the way they both looked, leaning in favor of the boldly Styled Xterra slightly. I also really liked the way the Xterra drove. It was more of a truck-like ride compared to the softer ride of all the 4Runners I had driven. I decided I would go for the Nissan as it seemed to be more in my price range, but I will admit that I still kept an eye open for a 4Runner.

The Nissan Xterra named after the XTERRA off-road triathlon race series that Nissan sponsored through the end of 2006. Is a small SUV, there are three models:

The XE:
2.4L 4-cyl. engine
Manual transmission
Up to 17 cty/22 hwy mpg
4-wheel drive

The SE:
3.3L V6 engine
Automatic transmission
Up to 15 cty/19 hwy mpg
4-wheel drive

The SE S/C:
3.3L V6 Supercharged engine
Automatic transmission
Up to 14 cty/17 hwy mpg
4-wheel drive

I knew I didn’t want the supercharged model and I needed more than a 4 cylinder so my search for the middle SE model began. Turns out finding an Xterra that is 4WD was harder than I thought. A lot of 2WD models were on the market. I found my Xterra on Craigslist the same day I had sold my Celica. I went and looked at it that day in fact. It was amazingly clean, had lower miles than anything else I had looked at, and was right in my price range. This was the truck for me!

_DSC1673.jpg

The Project:

My plan for the Xterra is to create a very capable yet basic 4x4 vehicle. It will be an ongoing project as I am still learning about what I need, what will be useful, and what I want. I plan to put a suspension kit on the car as the shocks that are currently on there are pretty much done for. I also want to install a radio for safety reasons as well as putting together a bug out bag and miscellaneous other safety items. I am excited to grow in my knowledge of vehicles and off-road driving along with my Xterra.

Tan_Jeep_Ray3.jpg

Jcapello

Adventurer
Very cool. I have an '04 4x4 that I'm rigging for expedition travel. It's a fun and reliable vehicle that I love.

98roamer

Explorer
After having the 1st Gen. Xterra, I'm bias towards them. Good looking X.

:) I just noticed the Discovery sticker on your front bumper.

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
Gen 1 is a great platform.. Ive owned 2 of them :)
Be sure to really research your parts.. 4x4parts.com has great stuff for the Gen 1 ..

Dave

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
UPDATE::::::
The XE:
2.4L 4-cyl. engine or 3.3L V6
Manual transmission
Up to 17 cty/22 hwy mpg
4-wheel drive

The XE came in both forms

The SE:
3.3L V6 engine
Automatic transmission
Up to 15 cty/19 hwy mpg
4-wheel drive

The SE S/C:
3.3L V6 Supercharged engine
Automatic transmission
Up to 14 cty/17 hwy mpg
4-wheel drive

KMM

Kelsey_DirtSunrise
The Little Bit Taller Trail Run Part 1

expedition7-.jpg

About a week after finishing the Rancho Suspension on my Xterra I got the opportunity to go on another trail run with the little white Nissan.

It was one of my favorite trail runs I have been on so far. Mostly due to the fact that I was in great company, surrounded by beautiful scenery and ever changing weather, good food, great music, and last but not least a taller more capable vehicle. What more could you ask for?

expedition7- (7).jpg
looking back on the town of Jerome

I knew I was happy with the on-road performance of the Xterra and was excited to see the difference the Rancho suspension would make off-road. We left from Prescott headed up through Jerome and then down through Cottonwood into Sedona.

actioncamper (3).jpg

This trail run was a perfect test for the new suspension as it included a bit of everything from on-road curves and highway driving to the off-road simple dirt and even one attempted climb that not even the most capable vehicles on the trip could conquer.

actioncamper (7).jpg

We stopped off to take a look at the hopi indian ruins as it was right on our way. I love history so this was a great little pitstop. I think it makes the off-roading experience all the better with some local history to color your journey.

We hit the dirt just outside of downtown cottonwood. We had a great little caravan going with Scott Brady and Bruce Dorn leading the pack in the Toyota Land Cruiser Prado, myself in the Xterra, then "Ralph" Matt's 109 Series Land Rover, The Jeep Rubicon piloted by Ray Hyland accompanied by his dog Argus, followed by the tactical Land Rover Discovery of Chazz and Dani Layne, and bringing up the rear Brian McVickers and his two kids in their Toyota Land Cruiser.

actioncamper.jpg

The first obstacle to the lesser travled dirt road was a deeply rutted uphill climb. I was the second up and was proud to make it on the first try (I like to think my driving skills are improving but it doesn't hurt to have the wise guidance of Scott to get me up easily)

expedition7- (5).jpg

Matt's attempt was a bit more sketch. Because (in his words) "He’s super awesome and drives an old Land Rover."

actioncamper (4).jpg

Arriving on the rougher trail warranted stopping to air down and playing with the GoPro.

kelsey 1.jpeg expedition7- (8).jpg

KMM

Kelsey_DirtSunrise
The Little Bit Taller Trail Run Part 2

While waiting for the better equipped vehicles to attempt the very loose very steep hill, we had some fun playing the dirt, in my car, and with the camera.

actioncamper (2).jpg actioncamper (1).jpg

actioncamper (5).jpg expedition7- (3).jpg

We got onto a slightly more traveled road, after that meandering up down and through diverse landscapes. Afterwards we jumped on the highway for a short bit to get into Sedona.

The last leg of the trail was in Sedona's red rocks. By this time a steady drizzle was coming down on us, making for a more adventurous atmosphere. It made for a very pretty afternoon.

actioncamper (6).jpg

After trekking for most of the day we all pulled into our final destination, a local Burger Joint in Sedona. I was excited to check out everyones pictures, share stories, laugh, and to EAT!

Ice Cream.jpg

I was very happy with the improved ground clearance and travel the Rancho Suspension added. I did also take off the rear anti-sway bar, which allowed for more flex in the Xterra's suspension, and although slightly noticeable when driving it has added more than it has taken from the vehicles performance.

IMG_9838.jpg

After a very filling delicious dinner everyone headed back to Prescott. A good time was had by all and it was fun way to spend the day.

actioncamper (8).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles