Delorme Gazetteer Storage?

DanR7985

Observer
I was given a Geneva sidebed toolbox from my future father in law that he had laying around. At work they were going to throw away some metal paper bins or w/e they are actually called. I have to do a little customization for how it will be mounted to the floor, but that won't be too bad. I took those metal bins, wire wheeled the rust off of them, and painted them flat black. I am in the process of wire wheeling the small rust spots on the tool box and spray painting them. There is enough room in the tool box to put any extra gazettes, and I can also put the ones I would use more frequently in the paper bins. I also took a plastic console that I was going to use, cut it up and attached cup holders and other things to it. I am also going to put padding on the top since it is just the perfect height as an arm rest in my M1009

2012-04-24_13-21-46_811.jpg

2012-04-24_13-23-57_601.jpg

I have another paper bin thing on the other side. The reason that it sticks below the console is because of the contour of the cab area.

2012-04-24_13-22-21_273.jpg

2012-04-24_13-24-23_787.jpg

DesertBoater

Adventurer
My system is a couple of the Kelty zippered bins (I think the actual name is "Camp Hauler"). They're just the right height and are wide enough to hold six or so Gazetteers, as well as a couple of small foldup maps/guide books. They zip closed, are easy to haul around, and keep everything pretty well protected in the truck. They came with one of the modular hauler systems, but i'm sure you could find them separately somewhere.

Cheers,
West

BillTex

Adventurer
I found a large laptop case at work that was being disposed of. I removed the adjustable padding and our Gazetteers fit perfectly. Plus it was free! The pockets are handy for highlighters, etc.
That's exactly what I use...and stuff the whole thing behind the rear seat...if I take them out of the truck...I just know they won't be there when I really need them...

off-roader

Expedition Leader
At home they're on a shelf. On the trail, I use the aforementioned & linked Delormne branded map bag. Perfect size for 2-3 delomne gazetteer books. I bought it at REI a few years ago. Sorry to learn they're no longer being offered.

Last edited:

86cj

Explorer
I have the older Delorme bag made for Gazetteer's myself, it could hang on the back of the seat and won't hold much else. I tried to find another without luck.
I also use a Bestop "Wrangler saddlebag", it wil hold several Gazetteers and other trail maps found on a journey. It keeps them dry and dust free in an open top Jeep and has a soft liner, works great around camp in the rain and dirt also, real Sailcloth Very sturdy.................
I have several Pelican cases and called the Bestop Saddlebag my "soft pelican" one day, to funny.................

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14045_XX_PG.htm

Rynomar

Observer
I just tried the 17" neoprene computer bag mentioned above. I have 4 Gazetteers in there and it fits like a glove! Thanks!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The commemorative map case they gave out at Overland Expo 2012. Heavy duty RTT material and Howling Moon quality courtesy of Bundu Gear and OEX, my Gazeteers (plural) fit in there with room to spare. And now I have a place for all these trendy patches ;)

mapcase-1.jpg

Eventhough

Explorer
The commemorative map case they gave out at Overland Expo 2012. Heavy duty RTT material and Howling Moon quality courtesy of Bundu Gear and OEX, my Gazeteers (plural) fit in there with room to spare. And now I have a place for all these trendy patches ;)

mapcase-1.jpg

I love that!

I'd like to find a lightweight canvas case (probably similar weight material to what you have above) that I could slip the covers of my Gazetteers into to protect the map book but still allow me to leaf through the pages without removing the Gazetteer entirely from the pouch. So far I haven't been able to find anything. I even looked at making some but the $ would have been too high. I might have to try that again though.

Currently I slide mine in the pocket on the rear of the passenger front seat in my FJ Cruiser. The pocket holds the Gazetteers well but does little of anything to protect them. They take a beating back there. :-(

Tennmogger

Explorer
Here is our solution, a tray from The Container Store. Nice fit on the floor between the seats:

Attachments

• 076.JPG
    076.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 078.JPG
    078.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 080.JPG
    080.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 33

Eventhough

Explorer
Here is our solution, a tray from The Container Store. Nice fit on the floor between the seats:

Very nice. Simple, effective, cheap.

I'm trying to keep everything tied down in my FJC. Most things are but a few smalls are not. The past few wheeling trips I've gotten a little "sideways" you might say and small stuff like change, maps, etc, start shifting. It has definitely been a challenge to secure every last small thing...

deadbeat son

Explorer
The REI links here aren't taking me to any specific product, so I assume they are sold out or discontinued. Is this a similar product?

http://www.geomart.com/products/atlas/gazetteercover.htm

I'd like to find a lightweight canvas case (probably similar weight material to what you have above) that I could slip the covers of my Gazetteers into to protect the map book but still allow me to leaf through the pages without removing the Gazetteer entirely from the pouch. So far I haven't been able to find anything. I even looked at making some but the $ would have been too high. I might have to try that again though.

When I was young, I had a relative that was an over-the-road truck driver. I recall his atlas had a leatherette protective case like you're describing; I imagine it was purchased from a truck stop. It may be worth a look if you find yourself fueling up at one when out on the highway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior