Delorme Gazetteer Storage?

Smiler82

First off, I have to thank everyone involved in such a wonderful forum. This place just leaks knowledge from every corner and I have been soaking it up at every opportunity.

My question: Does anyone have any creative way of storing their maps? I have accumulated a decent pile of the Delorme Gazette's for various states and I'd like to protect my investment. I don't really want to start a debate about which maps are best, because I love the gazette's...

I thought about a big Pelican case, but I'm not sure that is really necessary.

For those who don't know what these maps are, they are these:
http://www.amazon.com/Idaho-Atlas-G...2846/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1332962259&sr=8-3

jim65wagon

Ours stay on the bookcase in the house until a trip, then we go through and pick out the states we'll be in or through. Once in the truck they ride in between the fronts seats (it's a 40/60 bench and the area between makes a perfect map pocket), that makes them accessible as needed.

Bonked

Observer
Hey Smiler,

GREAT QUESTION. Last summer I traveled with my CA, OR, ID, MT, & NV guides, and they SUFFERED from the trip. I have no ideas for you...but a free bump TTP! I'll be following this thread

esh

Explorer
SeaLine map case.. basically a HD ziplock bag the size of a gazetteer. Mine has endured 15 years of abuse and just now needs to get replaced. My Benchmarks get beatup when they aren't in the case. I use one of the smaller SeaLines for keeping paper maps.

Smiler82

I keep all of mine stuffed between the seat and console in my XJ. Handy for access, not so handy when I spill coffee on them!

That REI case is pretty close to what I was looking for; price is decent too. How many gazettes can it hold?

I also really like the Sealine case, and I can vouch for the quality of their products...

I guess I better buy both... :)

brushogger

Explorer
I found a large laptop case at work that was being disposed of. I removed the adjustable padding and our Gazetteers fit perfectly. Plus it was free! The pockets are handy for highlighters, etc.

BIGGUY

Adventurer
I've got a couple of the old Delorme cases which are similar to the REI case shown except they are solid nylon with no window. They hold 3 Gazetteers and a couple of folded road maps.

I'm glad that link was posted as I was looking for another case and Delorme quit selling them.

spunky2268

Adventurer
I keep all of mine stuffed between the seat and console in my XJ. Handy for access, not so handy when I spill coffee on them!

That REI case is pretty close to what I was looking for; price is decent too. How many gazettes can it hold?

I also really like the Sealine case, and I can vouch for the quality of their products...

I guess I better buy both... :)

Smiler82,

I'd have to guess, since mine isn't full of Gazetteers, but I'd say six or so. I have 3 Gazetteers, a Rand Mcnally US Atlas, two magazine sized "treasure hunter's" guides and other cartography related stuff in mine.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I searched in vain a few years ago. I wanted a cordura binder with a zipper closure on 3 sides to hold a gazateer. I could not find anything close. My gazateers get really beat and I make notes in them, so it is not super easy to just buy a new one.

jim65wagon

I searched in vain a few years ago. I wanted a cordura binder with a zipper closure on 3 sides to hold a gazateer. I could not find anything close. My gazateers get really beat and I make notes in them, so it is not super easy to just buy a new one.

on a similar note, I spent several hours one night copying notes into a new gazetteer after the old crusty one had a mishap......

Heading Out

Adventurer
I keep them in the house for planning trips, then the Gazetteers I will need and any other maps come along in a small old plastic brief case I have, along with

an old school compass, small flash light and some pens/pencils, makes a nice nav. kit.

keeps them protected and together, yet easy to get to when needed. Fits right behind the front seats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior