P.J., the custom Wrangler Rubicon expedition motorhome

Holy cow, Paul... you're not one to be outdone for pictures are you ;)

This looks just great, and I can't believe that this is the same vehicle that was in my shop for those few months last year... what an amazing transformation from start to finish!
Big kudos to Paul and John for their outstanding work on this rig, and of course a big congrats to Mike- the visionary who had the guts to chop up this previously disappointing EarthRoamer, and make something both useful and beautiful out of it! As Jerry Garcia said, what a long strange trip its been.

Here's to many, many great adventures, Mike!
I'm looking forward to reading about your travels in this rig, and hoping that you get out there and use it often.

Last edited:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
J-++(46).JPG

(above) "LIAR!"

There, I fixed the title of that one for you... :)

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Hello, VERY cool project!

I'm trying to collect some data on heavier payloads in JK Wranglers for another thread in the Jeep section....

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/57132-Ways-to-Increase-the-Jeep-JK-Payload

Do you have a total weight and front/rear distribution for your vehicle?
Any modifications to the chassis for the added weight that you know of?
Have you had any issues with your vehicle in regard to the higher weight?

Thank you.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Hello, VERY cool project!

Thanks. It all turned out pretty trick.

I'm trying to collect some data on heavier payloads in JK Wranglers for another thread in the Jeep section....

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/57132-Ways-to-Increase-the-Jeep-JK-Payload
I've been following that thread, as it is plainly relevant to my situation.

Do you have a total weight and front/rear distribution for your vehicle?
Figure 7000 pounds total. I don't have the distributions yet. I'll post up after I get to a scale.

Any modifications to the chassis for the added weight that you know of?
Yep . . . Big Goodyear Duratrac tires with more than enough capacity and a complete nth Degree/AEV suspension with the normal (3.5 inch) lift springs in the front and the heavy-duty (4.5) inch springs in the back.

Have you had any issues with your vehicle in regard to the higher weight?
Handling is excellent, and there's no drive on which I don't think well of Scott Brady for recommending this specific suspension. Also, for no reason I can think of, braking with the stock setup is quite good. I was expecting modifications would need to be made but I'm not having any problems.

The place the weight shows up is in vehicle performance. The shortcomings of the 3.8L V-6 are well-known and 7 kilopounds of curb weight doesn't help. But it is not a major crisis due to the 5.29 gearing, and I can readily get where I'm going at pretty much whatever speed I'm willing to pay for, since going fast takes more fuel. And the vehicle as I bought it already weighed that much so, with the improved suspension and tires, I'm actually a good deal better off now.

Plus the fact that my first overlander was an 8 ton Unimog camper with 125 horsepower has made all subsequent vehicles seem like a rally cars. ;)

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Balls!

I gotta give you kudos for having the balls to take a very expensive rig and start almost from scratch. Wow... that takes some balls. I love the fact that its being used for what its intended to be. Granted I think if I had the bucks to create something like this I would have spent a little more on making the engine a diesel but that's me, not you. First rate work and great execution of this. Thanks for letting me live a little vicariously through you and keep the trips coming! We are watching. :)

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Mike, can you two scheme up another build to keep me occupied while I go about my normal life :drool:
Well, it's not that Paul and I aren't ready. Life's pretty boring these days. But I'm out of unconverted trucks, and probably out of money for such things . . . not that I dare to look.

However, I always try to make you proud of me, so we'll keep our eyes open for yet another opportunity. ;)

kjp1969

Explorer
But I'm out of unconverted trucks, and probably out of money for such things . . . not that I dare to look.

However, I always try to make you proud of me, so we'll keep our eyes open for yet another opportunity. ;)

Naw, you've got some money left, and I can loan you my Bronco! Just a loan, mind you. . .

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Holy Smokes those are cool Paul!!!!!

See, you two need to find something soon, I'm jonesing to watch another build. Or maybe that should say "I'm Jensoning!" :sombrero:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
P1130272.JPG

I saw these boards in person last Friday. They are stunning works of art; way beyond cool. Paul and his friends have some significant talents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles