Off Road Pop Up Build in Florida

Dozer

Hi all! I have just started a new project. I am going to transform a 1994 Fleetwood/Coleman Destiny Rio Grande into a trailworthy tent camper. I seriously envy those with Evo's and Bajas and the new Somerset E's but I dont have the cash for them and also think there are so many improvements to be made for a longer lasting, lower maintenance unit. Here's what I got for $300 off the list Craig has:

rio 1.jpg

rio 2.jpg

And a rough sketch of my plan:

B2 lifted.jpg

More to come soon!:Wow1:

Dozer

Thanks! So far I have completely gutted the interior. The a/c seal failed and trashed the cheap "woodwork". I removed the a/c from the roof and temp patched the opening. I am heavy into the planning stage now and then will create a schedule. I also have a thing for vintage campers. Feel free to check out my blog. http://vintagecampground.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Good deal for $300.00 Pop Ups in Pa, come in two varieties Junk and too expensive.
New matching axle, strengthen frame, emove graphics and paint and ready for off road camping.
Keep the pictures posted.

TheThom

Adventurer
Nice! I'm working on a similar project. I've got a thread going on popupportal. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Dozer

Good deal for $300.00 Pop Ups in Pa, come in two varieties Junk and too expensive.
New matching axle, strengthen frame, emove graphics and paint and ready for off road camping.
Keep the pictures posted.
Thanks Mark! I am looking into the suspension now. It was a really good deal in that everything is in great condition with the exception of the interior furnishings and the roof. The canvas is fine, the lift system works great, the frame is fine. the body is fine. I'm stoked about it!!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I need to get over on popup portal at some point, I have a 68 Apache Raven sitting on a solid frame with 31's under it, and an early 70's Appleby that I am restoring to be pulled behind my little 2-seater roadster. I love working on these older lightweights that are bare bones with no added weight from sinks and stoves that people do not even use in them.

Dozer

I need to get over on popup portal at some point, I have a 68 Apache Raven sitting on a solid frame with 31's under it, and an early 70's Appleby that I am restoring to be pulled behind my little 2-seater roadster. I love working on these older lightweights that are bare bones with no added weight from sinks and stoves that people do not even use in them.

Bucket = sink. Fire = stove. Nature= entertainment. total weight = 2lbs... Gas consumption for TV = just about what the TV would get without the trailer. Minimizing the weight is very important for any vehicle... aircraft, boat, space shuttle..... as long as it serves the purpose of the mission!
popupdemo.JPG

TheThom

Adventurer

Sorry for the brief hijack

You DO need to get over on PUP Portal! There is a lack of guys that appreciate stripped down pop up for those of us who want to boondock and have a way to haul our gear/not have the family sleep on the ground! Too many folks look at it as an entry level RV.

In my experience, this site is money for suspension and "build up" ideas (mounting racks, cans, jacks, etc. TNTTT is great for camper electrical and architecture, PUP Portal is great for PUP specific things like lift systems, canvases, etc.

Hijack over - resume your build thread :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior