Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introducing Rockhopper

As a person with a bias towards station wagons, that is one of the sweetest rides I have ever seen! Makes me wish Grandpa's Eagle had survived it's farm truck duties....
    Movin' right along.In search of good times and good news,
    With good friends you can't lose, This could become a habit..
    Opportunity knocks once, let's reach out and grab it.
    Together we'll nab it. We'll hitch-hike, bus or yellow cab it!
    Cab it?

CrowsWing
    Benroy Teardrop on TnTTT
    CrowsWing Benroy Teardrop on ExPo
    The 220,000 Mile Tundra

Seeing that made me laugh. I hope you drive it every where because you should spread the joy and let every one laugh at it. Totally Awesome. When I first saw the pic I was whoa I bet that thing is super slow but with that v8 I bet its a blast.

PS
    Thanks for ditching the HIDs. Better to be able to see than seen as a tool. Maybe some one will have a good home for them inside some projectors where they belong. There probably an awful color temp and lousy tint. I cant wait for for cheap LEDs.
    http://servicedriven.org

Travel
    Volunteer service
    service learning
    Bikes
    Beer
    Bacon

Bikes
    Dean titanium soft tail-very custom, Salsa Fargo-adventure bike, Azonic steel head dirt jumper
    Bike transporter http://servicedriven.org/about-service-driven/our-car/
    2004 Toyota Rav4 - still mostly stock because we keep spending all our money on gas

I finally got in touch with the builder a couple days ago. The engine and transmission are from an 03 Silverado, he's said he has no idea where the previous owner got the 03 LS1 Vette engine idea from. Front axle is a Dana 44 from a Jeep Wagoneer with a LSD and all the outer stuff, including the brakes, is from late 70's F150/Bronco. Along with the Explorer rear axle with disc brakes, this car stops WAAAAY better than my other Eagle.

A few days ago, I rewired the radio. Most of the splices were done with duct tape.

I didn't want this to turn into a money pit, but I dropped it off at the exhaust shop last night. I was under it the day before, trying to come up with a plan for skid plates and noticed the transmission cooling lines were touching the exhaust. One cat was on the side of the bellhousing and the other was under the bellhousing. Not a good idea for transmission life. Not to mention the exhaust was put together with about 20+ short pieces of pipe frakensteined together. The exhaust guy said, "Man, someone spent an awful lot of time screwing this up."

HIDs for headlights, when the factory doesn't do it, sucks. But, I use conversion kits to make cheap off road lights work a bit better. For under $60 these days, you can have a pair of 6" HID off road flood lights. They aren't as good as a purpose built version, due to bulb to lens to reflector arrangement, but better than just incandescent and draws less power from the alternator. When I use to run 4 130w lights on my rally car, they could nearly stall the engine out, pulling down the alternator so hard.
    Very cool car, great find!!

-Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Jrally View Post
    Very cool car, great find!!

-Jon
    Thanks.

Well, I just picked it up from the exhaust shop. It looks a 100% better but cost more than I wanted to spend and sounds like Jed's 79 GMC K1500. (No offense if your name is Jed). It definitely sounded much better with the other configuration but was going to cause some trans overheating on the trail. I'll probably change out the generic mufflers some day in the future.

I know what you mean, my Celica sounds like a truck.

-Jon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12