Introducing Rockhopper

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
I posted some info on the SE regional forum but decided to bring it out to the forefront.

Thanks to a member on another forum, my new Eagle is named Rockhopper, after the Rockhopper penguin.

I purchased this Eagle in Provo, UT. I drove it from UT to TN averaging 17.5 mpg. It has a Chevy 5.3l V8, 4L60E transmission, NP231 transfer case, Explorer 8.8 rear, Dana 44 Front with Fox coilovers. It will need some attention to a few things otherwise it runs great.

photobucket-43609-1331492847708.jpg

photobucket-42310-1331519504052.jpg

photobucket-8901-1332645628791.jpg

photobucket-35294-1332629457383.jpg

photobucket-4814-1332645405068.jpg

The first thing I did was rip out the HID headlight conversion. I had one go out after only owning it 2 days. I never liked the glare from other cars with HID conversions, so I was happy to see it go. I used the housing that were set up for H4 bulbs and just put stock H4 bulbs in for now. I will eventually upgrade the wiring and install relays to the headlights.
photobucket-40922-1332979882375.jpg

photobucket-17601-1332979827317.jpg

I also installed a new antenna and messed around with the aftermarket temperature gauge but haven't figured out why it's not working properly.

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
Thanks guys. When I took it by a buddy of mine in Greeley, CO, he noticed there was no IAT (intake air temperature) sensor connected. He gave me one that had a different connector. I spliced it in today and wow, it's quicker. I can smoke the tires off the line with hardly any effort. I measured the tires which are 317/75/16's and they are actually 34" tall. There goes my MPG. :D

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'm loving that thing more and more.

And thanks for taking out the HIDs ---- anybody that knows anything about me at all knows that I'm a headlight freak...

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
I'm loving that thing more and more.

And thanks for taking out the HIDs ---- anybody that knows anything about me at all knows that I'm a headlight freak...
A guy on another forum wants the stuff I took out. I think I'm gonna toss it in the trash though, because I also hate HID conversions.
That is seriously the coolest thing ever, I would love to drive that every day!
Thanks. I drove it to work today, but since I have a 64 mile round trip commute to the office, I usually drive my Ford Festiva since it gets 40 mpg. The Eagle is quite a bit "funner" to drive.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
As a person with a bias towards station wagons, that is one of the sweetest rides I have ever seen! Makes me wish Grandpa's Eagle had survived it's farm truck duties....

Jay H

servicedriven.org
Seeing that made me laugh. I hope you drive it every where because you should spread the joy and let every one laugh at it. Totally Awesome. When I first saw the pic I was whoa I bet that thing is super slow but with that v8 I bet its a blast.

PS
Thanks for ditching the HIDs. Better to be able to see than seen as a tool. Maybe some one will have a good home for them inside some projectors where they belong. There probably an awful color temp and lousy tint. I cant wait for for cheap LEDs.

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
I finally got in touch with the builder a couple days ago. The engine and transmission are from an 03 Silverado, he's said he has no idea where the previous owner got the 03 LS1 Vette engine idea from. Front axle is a Dana 44 from a Jeep Wagoneer with a LSD and all the outer stuff, including the brakes, is from late 70's F150/Bronco. Along with the Explorer rear axle with disc brakes, this car stops WAAAAY better than my other Eagle.

A few days ago, I rewired the radio. Most of the splices were done with duct tape.
photobucket-32671-1333544535090.jpg

I didn't want this to turn into a money pit, but I dropped it off at the exhaust shop last night. I was under it the day before, trying to come up with a plan for skid plates and noticed the transmission cooling lines were touching the exhaust. One cat was on the side of the bellhousing and the other was under the bellhousing. Not a good idea for transmission life. Not to mention the exhaust was put together with about 20+ short pieces of pipe frakensteined together. The exhaust guy said, "Man, someone spent an awful lot of time screwing this up."

Jrally

Adventurer
HIDs for headlights, when the factory doesn't do it, sucks. But, I use conversion kits to make cheap off road lights work a bit better. For under $60 these days, you can have a pair of 6" HID off road flood lights. They aren't as good as a purpose built version, due to bulb to lens to reflector arrangement, but better than just incandescent and draws less power from the alternator. When I use to run 4 130w lights on my rally car, they could nearly stall the engine out, pulling down the alternator so hard.
Very cool car, great find!!

-Jon

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
Very cool car, great find!!

-Jon
Thanks.

Well, I just picked it up from the exhaust shop. It looks a 100% better but cost more than I wanted to spend and sounds like Jed's 79 GMC K1500. (No offense if your name is Jed). It definitely sounded much better with the other configuration but was going to cause some trans overheating on the trail. I'll probably change out the generic mufflers some day in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles