Diesel for the new Ford Transit Van in the US

Ponyracer

Adventurer
SWEET!! Maybe the big three will FINALLY pull there head out and start doing as they said they would and offering diesels in 1/2 ton trucks soon.

Desert Dan

Explorer
:(

Why no 4x4 for the US??

European customers will be able to choose between front-, rear-, and all-wheel-drive versions of the Transit, powered by Ford's 2.2-liter Duratorq TDCi diesel inline-four. In the United States, however, only rear-wheel drive will be offered

loren85022

Explorer
Fugly or not, diesel and 4wd would have gotten me to at least wonder by a dealership. Time for SMB-Euo to evolve.

down2far

Double cab option

I wonder if we can get the double cab in the US? I read where we would have that option. A diesel that gets 30 ish mpg, 4 door. Sign me up! I would really like the awd...but probably not realistic.
I can't seem to attach a photo with my IPad....Found some really good looking ones online.

4xdog

Explorer
Ahh, yes, thanks. I've seen many of those chassis cabs, from almost all the "international" van makers all over the world and especially in Europe. They're usually very practical and very hard working rigs. Often with a drop-side tray back, as shown in your link.

Ford seem to be, to their credit, thinking very globally in their product lines these days -- with the Transit Connect at first, now the Focus C-Max. Who knows what the future could hold. A Transit chassis cab might surprise us.

down2far

With a pickup bed

I was thinking that chassis cab with a pickup bed would work good. Better mpg than a fullsize truck.
maybe put a Topkick/Kodiak bed on it. A military trailer for the bed, Bobbed Deuce or just a stake side and could set a camper on it?
Heres a couple pictures of what I was thinking. If the AWD version doesn't come, I would just build it and then have to conisder what my options where as far as 4X4 conversion or if I needed that at all. The flat black topkick seems to just sit high enough, where it would probably go anywhere I would need to go...Top kick.jpggmc-topkick-truck 3.jpgTop Kick2.jpgBeast 1.jpgBeast 2.jpg

imcolej

Has it been confirmed that there will not be an all wheel drive option? The article below seems to think they will offer an AWD option.

"A six-speed transmission sourced from the F-150 will send power to the rear wheels, but Ford’s execs also suggested that an all-wheel drive version will be available soon"

Full article

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke