Storage Setup In Jeep Wranglers

4x4dreamin

Observer
I'm looking at buying a 2003 rubi, so obviously its a 2dr rig. I know there is not much room to store anything inside the vehicle, but I was curious if anyone had any pictures of their storage setup in their wranglers. I'm mainly looking to have a small storage setup where I can keep my recovery gear, and a small set of tools, as well as a small DC compressor for inflating the tires. Is this a possibility while leaving the back bench seat still in the rig?
Here are some things I've seen online that I like,
http://www.jcwhitney.com/jeep-wrangler-underseat-storage-locker/p2025547.jcwx
I also like this idea, with something small possibly built up on top of it to hold more stuff:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/tuffy/underseat-security-drawer.htm
On a side note, how much room under the cab is there on the jeep, room to mount a small compressed air tank?

redveloce

Adventurer
I keep my recovery gear in a backpack behind the back seat. Be aware with that Bestop box that it's not very large and will not work if your driver's seat has the fold and tumble mechanism like the passenger seat.

4x4dreamin

Observer
I keep my recovery gear in a backpack behind the back seat. Be aware with that Bestop box that it's not very large and will not work if your driver's seat has the fold and tumble mechanism like the passenger seat.

Thanks for the info, and with the under-seat bestop box it didn't look very big, but it would be good to hold things like my phone, or camera, and the like.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
some tips....

-A D-handle shovel will fit with the spade forward and down along the wheel well. A simple bracket off the existing rollbar can hold it in place

-An axe fits with the head back behind the C-pillar of the cage

-A soft tool bag will fit behind each front seat on the floor. I always used one for recovery gear and one for tools. They never really got in the way of peoples feet while in the rear seat.

-There is a nice little storage area ( for spare parts ) under each of the battery trays in the front fenders

-The factory center console ( without the subwoofer ) is kinda a bottomless pit. If your careful you can fit a LOT of stuff.

-A spare front axle can fit along each of the rockers just inside the doors. I recommend a spare front OUTER with joint in a new unit bearing more than just about anything.

-A spare short side rear D44 axle ( will work on both sides ) can be stood up on the B-pillar of the rollcage with the flange on the floor.

In general, take less stuff! Be very careful with the gear and tools you are taking on the trail. It is WAY easy to over load a 2dr jeep in my opinion. You want to keep as much of the weight forward as you can....no really, you do. If you can keep the weight distribution bias to the front you will be MUCH happier with the performance.

Just a few thoughts and ideas...

4x4dreamin

Observer
some tips....

-A D-handle shovel will fit with the spade forward and down along the wheel well. A simple bracket off the existing rollbar can hold it in place

-An axe fits with the head back behind the C-pillar of the cage

-A soft tool bag will fit behind each front seat on the floor. I always used one for recovery gear and one for tools. They never really got in the way of peoples feet while in the rear seat.

-There is a nice little storage area ( for spare parts ) under each of the battery trays in the front fenders

-The factory center console ( without the subwoofer ) is kinda a bottomless pit. If your careful you can fit a LOT of stuff.

-A spare front axle can fit along each of the rockers just inside the doors. I recommend a spare front OUTER with joint in a new unit bearing more than just about anything.

-A spare short side rear D44 axle ( will work on both sides ) can be stood up on the B-pillar of the rollcage with the flange on the floor.

In general, take less stuff! Be very careful with the gear and tools you are taking on the trail. It is WAY easy to over load a 2dr jeep in my opinion. You want to keep as much of the weight forward as you can....no really, you do. If you can keep the weight distribution bias to the front you will be MUCH happier with the performance.

Just a few thoughts and ideas...
Wow that's a lot of stuff, thanks! And I'm not looking to pack it full of stuff, I was just curious whether or not I had room to permanently store essentials such as the recovery gear, tools, and spare parts. The jeep I'm looking at has a roof rack, so for those extended trips I can always load up more gear, but I'm mainly looking at the short day trip out to a trail.

Token

Explorer
Have a 2003 Rubi myself.. If I can ever scratch together the coin, this is going in under the back seat.. Have a few friends that use them and they can store a tone of recovery gear, tools and spare parts in them if packed just right..

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-181-full-length-underseat-drawer.aspx

Down side is that anyone in the back seat is loosing 4" of already tight headroom.. And I've got a Poison Spider Full Cage for them to deal with already..

Token

Explorer
Also on tucking things away and other interesting things..

Breather Box.. If Stock, the clip next to the fuse box that holds the breath top on that you can't reach easily with your fingers..?? Take a foot of heavy twine, tie it in a loop and hook it over that clip when latching the box lid back down and use it to lift the clip into place.. It'll make sense when you do it.. Roll up your new tool and store it in the fuse box..

Heater hoses that run down the right side of the motor.. When COOL, run your hand down them.. Unless it's been replaced already, the lower one is going to be rubbing on the motor under the first bend at the back of the motor.. You'll feel the wear spot.. Replace hose.. Take old hose, cut a section at one of the bends and slice it open where you can use it to provide a cushion on your new hose.. Zip tie the cushion in place.

You can tuck a spare heater hose between the fender and the fuse box..

If you EVER decide to regear a TJ Rubicon axle, get in touch with me beforehand.. I found out a lot of things that can save you a LOT of heartbreak this past weekend.. I had about 5 guys that KNOW how to setup gears helping, but all of them were puzzled by the locker stuff in the Rubicon.. Took a lot of trial and error and 13 hours of work to get it right..

Drop me your email at crashmsn@hotmail.com and I can send you a pdf of the 2003 Service Manual.. It's 45mb though...

redveloce

Adventurer
More storage. Harbor freight has small black cloth tool bags that fit perfectly next to the driver's seat for $6. My machete slides securely between the tool bag and the rocker panel with the handle facing forward, and some bicycle inner tube slices around the blade to prevent rattles. I also have an inexpensive fire extinguisher from Home Depot that fits perfectly in the same spot on the passenger side. It 'locks' in perfectly with the curve of the rocker panel. There was still enough room next to it for a medical kit.

02Prove

If you're willing to spend the money Spectre makes an intake that does away with the factory air box all together.

136199-add2-lg.jpg

It's not going to be a magical power adder but it will free up tons of space to add an air compressor or something like this.

154331-add2-lg.jpg

Aside from the cheesy bling factor this is a pretty neat set-up.

Phreak480

Army Guy
there is a similar product to that spectre intake it is called Macs Cold Air Intake. It is a very nicely built kit put together here in the good ole U S of A. a google search should yield some info on it.

BobA

Adventurer
there is a similar product to that spectre intake it is called Macs Cold Air Intake. It is a very nicely built kit put together here in the good ole U S of A. a google search should yield some info on it.
Do you have any pics or price of this kit? You'd think the website would have pic's and price but it doesnt. My TJ needs room for a viar tank and that factory air box space may work.

Do you have any pics or price of this kit? You'd think the website would have pic's and price but it doesnt. My TJ needs room for a viar tank and that factory air box space may work.

Skinny Pedal is producing and marketing the kit now. And here is the one from Spectre Performance. For the record, I'm ambivalent about the cold air from the cowl approach, as with everything you have to take the good with the bad. Do your research and make your decision.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Would something like this on the tailgate help?

StoreGateFinalOpen2.jpg

StoreGateFinalClosed4.jpg

Storage nets along the rear inner fenders?

NetLower2.jpg

Storage nets above the roll bars in the back under the hardtop?

NetUpper1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94