Gps and I pad

So I am confused can someone answer this question. With gps that i a familiar with they use satellites to locate themselves. But does this mean that I pad and Iphones have a miniature Gps receiver built in? and therfore do not need wifi or cell coverage to act as a gps?

or do they not have a receiver built in an therefore use some type of other location soft ware that relies on a cell signal or a wifi signal?

Cole

Expedition Leader
They have an assisted GPS that uses other known sources for faster location acquisition. When those signals are not available then it can be used as a normal stand alone gps. You need to download maps ahead of time to use it as a stand alone gos when there is no data signal.

haven

Expedition Leader
Yes. The GPS chip works independent of the WiFi or cell tower information. These sources can help shorten the time required to get a fix on your location, but they are not required.

Note that the GPS chip is not included in WiFi-only iPads. To get the internal GPS, you have to buy an iPad that is includes a data modem (so-called 3G or 4G iPads).

That said, the WiFi-only iPads can use an external GPS, attached by Bluetooth. Here's an example
http://www.newskyproducts.com/servlet/the-GPS-Receivers/Categories

Cole

Expedition Leader
so if you have google earth can you track yourself on that when you have no wifi signal or cell signal?

No. The images are downloaded as you go with Google Earth. You must get a map set of data that lives in the device. There are several to choose from in the app store.

Rockfish

I use the iPad together with Ultimate GPS. I added a 5 foot extension cable so I can mount the gps near the windshield. As far as software. I use GAIA GPS. I think is great I had great topo maps that I download to the iPad before a trip. This combo works great. The GPS takes a while to lock position but ones it lock you are good to go.

I don't use the iPad for directions on road. I use my iPhone together with the tom-tom gps mount.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles