Thread: 12V Water Heater as Diversion Load

Default 12V Water Heater as Diversion Load

I have ~200W of solar on the roof and on a sunny day my house batteries are usually 100% charged by late morning... so I decided to put the extra solar energy to good use and I built a 150W 12Vdc heating element that screws into the anode port on my Suburban hot water heater. This heating element is operated as a "diversion load" so it only powered after the batteries are fully charged. Because the wattage is low, it only heats the water in the 6gal tank at a rate of 10F/hour, but hey... FREE hot water
    While I was at it, I included a 120Vac 500W heating element (30F/hr) so I can heat the tank when I'm connected to shore power or via the inverter while driving. Of course, each heating element is controlled by its own thermostat.
    To the best of my knowledge this is the only dual voltage RV water heater ever produced... of course if I need hot water in a hurry it operates quite nicely on LPG too.
    Photos are below.
    Cheers
    -Mark

Cheers
    -Mark

Great idea. Well done. Where'd you buy that particular element?

That is very, very neat! happy0034.gif

Quote Originally Posted by HMR View Post
    Where'd you buy that particular element?
    Thanks for the kind words.
    Both heating elements were custom made to my spec'... and I had to order a bunch of each wattage just to get the two I needed.
    '04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 190W Unisolar panels, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Prosine 2.0
    '05 Ram3500, Cummins, Smarty Jr, Vision 19.5, Michelin XDE's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Torklift w/Superhitch, Roadmaster swaybar, Thuren trackbar, RanchoRS9000XL/MyRide

Mark,
    I too am very interested in picking up a couple of these if there is an availability. Please pm me.
    '87 &'10 4runner
    '10 Tundra