Nikon D800

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
D800E vs Pentax 645 Video

Here's the video, just in case it gets buried.

[video=youtube;S0plNkdLkeE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S0plNkdLkeE[/video]

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Has anybody gotten their D800 cameras yet? Lets see some pictures if you have, my wife and are ........... still waiting.

loren85022

Explorer
I got mine last week. Love at first click.

Last edited:

arlon

Adventurer
Got my D800E today. Love at first click describes it nicely. This camera is a game changer for me. Now I just need to get out of town so I can use it.

Moon tonight from the D800E

click image for a larger view:

Clark White

Explorer
Question for those who have used the D800; I played with one today and was surprised NOT to see some external features that I hold near and dear on my D300. The focus select low left of the lens is missing the C/S/M replaced with only AF/M. I routinely switch between constant and single focus, so is that easy manual switch lost for this, or did I just not see it somewhere else? Same goes for the metering and focus point dials, they were distinctly missing and are something that I often change on the fly and don't have time to go into the menues to change.

Thanks!
Clark

loren85022

Explorer
Clark, you are correct. Both missing and now require 2+ steps to change. Clearly Nikon sees this as a portrait/landscape body. Quick changes sacrificed for image quality. I'm trying to do without the buttons. The unbelievable dynamic range surely helps. Read Ken Rockwells web page for good review.

Sent from my iToaster

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Question for those who have used the D800; I played with one today and was surprised NOT to see some external features that I hold near and dear on my D300. The focus select low left of the lens is missing the C/S/M replaced with only AF/M. I routinely switch between constant and single focus, so is that easy manual switch lost for this, or did I just not see it somewhere else? Same goes for the metering and focus point dials, they were distinctly missing and are something that I often change on the fly and don't have time to go into the menues to change.

Thanks!
Clark

Clark, the button is there, it's just changed a little. In the center of the AF/M switch is a button, you just hold it and spin the sub command dial to change between AF-S,C, and A, and to change the focus pattern it's the same button press but you spin the main command dial to shuffle through the myriad of choices like auto, 51 point, 51 point 3D, 21, 11, 9 etc. I actually love the implementation of the new AF, it's very fast and intuitive in practice, and the changes are seen and reflected in the viewfinder while you're doing it so you don't even have to take the camera away from your eye. As an FYI, AF selection is implemented in the same way on D4 as well, and has recieved quite a bit of praise from pros who have been using it.

Last edited:

Clark White

Explorer
Ah, good to know! I'm a long ways off from affording a D800 and the extra hard drive to store it's pictures, but I'm still glad to hear it's an easy change. With the D300 I have just memorized what position is what so I could flip the switch to what I needed with out taking my eye away, so I'm glad that option is still available. I keep hearing about the amazing dynamic range of the pictures, makes me really want one since most of what I end up doing with travel photography has a wide dynamic range!

Clark

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Just got my D800 from Roberts Imaging! Woooooooooooooo Hoooooooooo!

Sick! I just got mine as well after backing out from my original B&H order! I can't wait to see what you and you're talented wife do with it. I'll be shooting my first wedding with it next weekend,...fingers crossed that there are no hiccups with it!

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Best bet is the avoid the big camera stores like B&H that have a big waiting list. Find one of the smaller camera shops and you'll have a higher chance of getting one.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Watch nikoncafe.com in their d800 section, people have been posting where they see availability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne