Nikon D800

arlon

Adventurer
I got the E model but had to cancel a B&H order and reorder with Cameta camera. Took about 3 weeks for it to be delivered.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Anyone have any leads on where to get one?

I'll echo the small local shops advice. I placed an order with B&H within the first day and got sick of waiting. Placed a second preorder with a local shop and within 3 weeks had one in hand. I won't poo poo B&H I just think the demand is overwelming and they are but one store with probably thousands preorders. The smaller stores may only get 4-8 a week but their preorder numbers are but a fraction of the size.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
The D800 looks to be an amazing machine. I really wish it had been a tad faster for wildlife. I personally can not sacrifice FPS for MP although I hope the D400 or D600 rumors are true in respect to speed and MP count. The landscapes I have seen with the D800/E are pretty dang awesome though. HAHA Do I need 2 different cameras now lol. I think I could expect a divorce or even death from the wife.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
After acquainting myself with the camera for a month I finally did my first wedding exclusively with the D800,...and I have to say it's a beast of a camera. It truly is like nothing I've used before. Dynamic range and detail really are unbelievable, and file sizes really are enormous, like 70 MB a picture enormous. I averaged about 180 shots per 16 GB card. As a bit of a joke I stuck an old 1 GB card I still had lying around in it and got a whole 12 pictures, lol. We are back to the days of film with the D800. And for all the moaning and groaning I saw from some people claiming this camera is for landscape and studio only, I have to say the D800 was perfectly at home doing the event, with one caveat, if you do use it for such things, use very fast cards! I was using a pretty fast 60MB/sec SanDisk CF, and 90 MB/sec SanDisk SD combo and still ran into a buffer issue just as the bride and groom finished coming down the isle. We had just got outside of the church when the camera slowed to a crawl as the buffer waited for the CF to digest the mountain of data streaming its way from the isle walk. It cleared after about 30-40 seconds but at that moment I started to get a little uncomfortable with the wait as things were still happening. Another thing to keep in mind, if you have sloppy technique, this camera WILL absolutely show it. This camera will test your mettle as a photographer, no questions asked, more so than I initially thought it would. Low light performance was great, I feel totally comfortable using it up ISO 6400. The D800 holds a lot of detail and does so remarkably well even at high ISO's. A little bit of luminance smoothing on the high ISOers renders wonderfully detailed virtually noise free shots. Of course talk is cheap so here are a few shots from the day. Next up,...landscape.

If you're interested in seeing how large and how much detail 36 megapixels renders natively without upscaling, click here for the full size shot of image #1 below. Keep in mind the distance to subject and the small area these lovely ladies are taking up within the frame then just look at the detail held in the bridesmaids eyes. The iris is still clearly defined.

i-9VsWRrj-L.jpg

i-K7nDzLj-L.jpg

i-sLJMNb5-L.jpg

i-FrsnzRv-L.jpg

i-rkzgnfR-L.jpg

i-TZ3LhgC-L.jpg

i-5RzQJpx-L.jpg

i-GmkVqWt-L.jpg

i-vtjbBqx-L.jpg

i-hCbL7w4-L.jpg
i-sLBrtrV-L.jpg

i-JGfpMDV-L.jpg
i-4dNJL2V-L.jpg

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Lensbaby.

Whew! I have to say I find that a bit reassuring. I've experimented with some intentional pull focus blurs in camera, but never got anything that nice. You kick my butt in photography anyway, but somehow knowing that you didn't break the laws of physics with supreme skill makes me feel just a little bit less pathetic :)

taco2go

Explorer
Very nice Trevor. Sounds like this thing strains capacities on every front, but those are awesome results. looking forward to some landscape shots :)

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Whew! I have to say I find that a bit reassuring. I've experimented with some intentional pull focus blurs in camera, but never got anything that nice. You kick my butt in photography anyway, but somehow knowing that you didn't break the laws of physics with supreme skill makes me feel just a little bit less pathetic :)
LOL, beh, don't underestimate yourself, your photo-**** is strong.

taco2go said:
Very nice Trevor. Sounds like this thing strains capacities on every front, but those are awesome results. looking forward to some landscape shots

Thanks buddy! It really does. I think of myself as a pretty solid shooter but even I had to slow down, take my time, and I found myself consciously paying a lot more attention to things like my grip and how I was holding the camera, much more than I am use to anyway. It's just something to get use to. My computer also felt the weight of the files, my 16 gig i7 Mac chugged along but it's certainly not as snappy with the D800 files as it was with smaller files out of my D700 and D7000. I can't wait for some landscapes either, but it may have to wait just a little while longer as I'm booked up on my weekends for the next three weeks with more weddings.

taco2go

Explorer
I can't wait for some landscapes either, but it may have to wait just a little while longer as I'm booked up on my weekends for the next three weeks with more weddings.

Hurry up and get those bills paid- and get back to pure elemental photography. :)

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Lensbaby.

Thirty-six megapixels, seven THOUSAND by five thousand pixels and you stick a Lensbaby in front of it??? Trevor, Trevor, that's sacrilege! :Wow1:

Seriously, nice work on the wedding. (And better thee than me!) Methinks that the D800 will increase the demand for Photoshop dentistry and all manner of other touchups. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94