Nikon D800

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Update

Next week will be my first landscape outing with the D800 and 14-24mm combo so I am putting this setup through the paces now to see what it can do with respects to dynamic range and resolution for landscape. Pretty solid stuff I must say! Here is a very tough test I setup today and the result is about all I could really ask for. D800 and 14-24mm naked, shot into the sun early morning with a hint of haze in the air, check the histogram. No blown highlights or crushed shadows. And detail, even at the extreme corners of the image is remarkable. Can't wait until next week!

The Set Up
i-2CcrsJG-S.jpg

The Histogram
i-P9FLb2s-M.jpg

i-N3Fs7bm-M.jpg

The Full Image
i-Z8GxjXN-XL.jpg

100% Crops
i-LXHDTNk-L.jpg

100% Crop Near Center
i-fzTSbnR-XL.jpg

100% Crop Extreme Upper Left
i-8kpmqSV-XL.jpg

100% Crop Extreme Bottom Left
i-gjS9LS6-XL.jpg

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
We are loving our D800. Here is a shot that my father-in-law took of my wife and our unborn kid. (shot with the old push-pull 80-200 2.8)

shancait_maternity_02.jpg

cbradley

Adventurer
I'm digging all the photographs from the D800s.

I finally got my D800E. Let me simply say, I love this camera!

Here are a couple test shots I took:

DSC1828-XL.jpg

DSC1992-XL.jpg

This image was shot at ISO 2800. I think the sensor noise is rendered pretty well, especially with the harsh lighting.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Nice shots guys. Had another wedding this weekend in which I incorporated some video. I haven't got around to grading it yet but I thought I'd share the profile I used. Some more advanced HDSLR shooters are probably familiar with Simalaar's custom flaat profiles. Much like Technicolors Cinestyle, Simalaars Flaat profiles are designed to increase dynamic range and give you a nice flat starting point for video edits. I uploaded the flaat 10 and flaat 11 profiles into my camera and loved them, 11 really is an awesome starting point for vids, way better than the native options. Anyway, just thought I'd share. You can download the profiles here. You just save it to an SD card, and load it into your camera.

cbradley

Adventurer
Trevor, thanks for the tip on the Flaat profiles. They look like they will be pretty useful, even for a video newbie like me. Now if I could just figure out this color grading thing...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles