NPR, Fuso, or UD

Paredneck

Observer
So I have been looking at building an "expedition camper". I know Mitsubishi has the fuso FG in 4wd but I think I want to do a 4wd conversion myself. I'm looking to do a short box at cab height with a pop up similar to an Earthcruiser. I just want to keep the roof low to keep the fuel cost as low as possible. I will likely want a rack on the back for 1 or 2 small dual sports, most likely tw200's. Total weight should be around 11k pounds from what I have been seeing. I'm looking for input on a few things. I doubt the vehicle will ever leave North America. I don’t have the time for extremely long trips and retirement is too far away to even think about. Parts should be chosen with that in mind.

What platform would you start with? I want a 4 cylinder diesel. Preferably a manual trans. AC in the cab is a must. Cruise control is an added bonus. I really want a forward cab to get the most living space out of the overall length of the vehicle and I just like the way they look. The NPR is the most available around me with the Mitsubishi then the Nissan following behind that.

What axles would you run? I know a few have been done with dana 60's but I'm worried about the weight capacity.I will replace both axles so bolt pattern and width are the same allowing the use of the same wheel on all 4 corners. I would like go with a standard 8 lug and use single wheels. Most likely re-centered 12bolt hummer wheels with mil surplus tires in the 37x12.5 variety. Disc brakes all around would be great.

What transfer case? Divorced NP205 is the cheap option. Low range is only 2 to 1. What is the lo range on the Fuso FG? An atlas divorced case is a more expensive option but would give me a better low range ratio.

Thanks in advance,

Chip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier