Repurposed Pelican

Imnosaint

Adventurer
The rear door storage on the '03 Gen III doesn't serve much purpose save for a poorly designed way to stash headrests from the third row seat and a narrow but deep pocket for stowage of small items.

Photo10.jpg

Working in film production with advancing technology making cameras and supporting gear smaller, I have a bunch of Pelican cases no longer being used, so I thought to adapt a small case, the Pelican 1400, using it for a first aid supplies container, installing it onto the door replacing the pocket.

Photo1-6.jpg

While at it I picked up some Quick Fists in two sizes to mount an ax and a flashlight where they'd be readily accessible.

Photo7.jpg

I removed the door pull handle located in the middle of the door below the backlight and used the existing hardware to mount the larger Quick Fists for the ax. I'll mount a smaller Quick Fist on the side of the Pelican case for the torch.

And the results...

Photo5.jpg

Photo2.jpg

I want to engineer a way for the first aid kit to break away using the same kind of cleat design used on the pocket, but for now it's hard-mounted to the door.

Next is the headrest space on the left. I'm thinking recovery gear there.

Attachments

• Photo6.jpg
    Photo6.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Nice job! I agree about the breakaway clamp. I'd be tugging at the handle rather than opening the case.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Nice idea mounting the case in that location. I mounted two large quick fists in the same place for the ABC extinguisher.
I was thinking you could gain even more depth out of the door by modifying the plastic so it recesses deeper towards the outside of the door.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Nice idea mounting the case in that location. I mounted two large quick fists in the same place for the ABC extinguisher.
I was thinking you could gain even more depth out of the door by modifying the plastic so it recesses deeper towards the outside of the door.

Since the only things inside the door are the wiper motor and lock solenoid, you could simply use the extra space as more storage by cutting out the panels and putting doors in it's place. Same goes for the sides of the rear.

DR1665

Gearheads United
Excellent ideas!

As for a way to quickly get the first aid kit free, what if you had a pair of brackets - one above, one below - and a sturdy, yet quick release strap to hold the Pelican in place rather than the hard mounting? I'm having a hard time explaining what I'm seeing in my mind's eye, but I'm thinking you'd set the Pelican in place, then route the strap (always attached to the bottom bracket) up the front of the case, through the upper bracket, and then pull it tight, back down, secured with a buckle. Maybe use an old belt? I'm thinking this would make it easier to just un-do the belt with one hand, give it a quick tug, and remove the whole Pelican case with the other.

Just a thought.

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Excellent ideas!

As for a way to quickly get the first aid kit free, what if you had a pair of brackets - one above, one below - and a sturdy, yet quick release strap to hold the Pelican in place rather than the hard mounting? I'm having a hard time explaining what I'm seeing in my mind's eye, but I'm thinking you'd set the Pelican in place, then route the strap (always attached to the bottom bracket) up the front of the case, through the upper bracket, and then pull it tight, back down, secured with a buckle. Maybe use an old belt? I'm thinking this would make it easier to just un-do the belt with one hand, give it a quick tug, and remove the whole Pelican case with the other.

Just a thought.

And it's a good thought. I'm thinking to install a Quick Fist grip to retain the handle of the case above while I fashion a cleat much like the factory door pocket uses to hold the pocket in place at the bottom. I'll rivet a plastic plate that I'm shaping to the bottom backside of the case. It will toe-in to the door and the Quick Fist will secure it above. I'll post picks when I get into it.

DR1665

Gearheads United
Will the Quick Fist apply enough downward pressure on the cleat to keep things tidy when the road gets rough, mate? Admittedly, this is the first I've seen of such a device. A little over a week into ownership of an 89 Montero, I'm surprised at just how much rattles just rolling down the highway! It's maddening. Part of my thoughts behind the belt/strap was quick release, but the other was keeping things firm against the door (with perhaps a rubberized mat as insulation).

I'll be interested in seeing how this plays out for you. Torn between doing similar and fixing some kind of fold-out table/shelf on mine, with recessed LED lighting overhead in the upper door trim.

On a semi-related note, you guys have some nice adventures posted on your Cornering Consciousness site. Shame your cameras died upon entering that Chateau back in August. first I've heard of it, but it looks pretty cool.

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Break-away Pelican

I made a cleat from from sheet plastic I salvaged from another old and broken Pelican case. I traced the cleat footprint using the plastic pocket as a template and cut the cleat out with a jig saw.

1PlateCut.jpg

2Plate.jpg

I checked the cleat for fit and then marked its position relative to the Pelican 1400 case and then bolted the cleat to the case.

3PlatetoCleat.jpg

4PlateonCase.jpg

I mounted the QuickFist to the handle and then installed the case into the door and marked the QuickFist location, drilled pilot holes and attached it to the door.

5QuickFistMount.jpg

Fits pretty snug, though there was enough wiggle room to be bothersome, which I secured with velcro. Now the case breaks away from the door by just releasing the QuickFist strap.

6CaseRelease.jpg

I completed the door mod by adding two more QuickFists to hold a collapsable shovel, along with an ARB flat repair kit that fit well into the space with more velcro to prevent rattling around. A Maglight and a fire extinguisher round out the job.

7FinishedGateClosed.jpg

Imnosaint

Adventurer
On a semi-related note, you guys have some nice adventures posted on your Cornering Consciousness site. Shame your cameras died upon entering that Chateau back in August. first I've heard of it, but it looks pretty cool.

Thanks. We have a hard time staying put.

DR1665

Gearheads United
The finished product looks really good, sir. Really like the way it turned out. Kudos!

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Job well done!! Excellent, functional use of space.
Did you use any backing plate for the quick fists in the door panel? If so, did you use some of the same sheet plastic?

Regarding the rattle problem...
I love the sticky backed velcro, but I've also recently discovered these really thin sheets of rubber in the form of yoga mats. Cut to desired size and spray contact surfaces with contact cement. I've also used one mil. wetsuit neoprene. Both give a nice surface to lash/strap to, because it compresses ever so slightly providing resistance.

Dirtytires

Explorer
I made a cleat from from sheet plastic I salvaged from another old and broken Pelican case. I traced the cleat footprint using the plastic pocket as a template and cut the cleat out with a jig saw.

View attachment 94952

View attachment 94953

I checked the cleat for fit and then marked its position relative to the Pelican 1400 case and then bolted the cleat to the case.

View attachment 94954

View attachment 94955

I mounted the QuickFist to the handle and then installed the case into the door and marked the QuickFist location, drilled pilot holes and attached it to the door.

View attachment 94956

Fits pretty snug, though there was enough wiggle room to be bothersome, which I secured with velcro. Now the case breaks away from the door by just releasing the QuickFist strap.

View attachment 94957

I completed the door mod by adding two more QuickFists to hold a collapsable shovel, along with an ARB flat repair kit that fit well into the space with more velcro to prevent rattling around. A Maglight and a fire extinguisher round out the job.

View attachment 94958

Very nice setup. Nice use of space.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles